WINTER motoring

skoda.fr

• 4 months later...

The usual road closures over night in Scotland.

But high winds as well.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/currentincidents

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev

Winter motoring is certainly available in the East of Scotland this morning.

Lambing Snows!

A few people have been caught out already.

Damn wet and slidy and quite deep, & now getting much colder.

Starting to freeze quickly in places & as the wind picks up the wind chill is making it really feel cold

It might be coming your way later today,

have fun.

george

Edited by sk4gw

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Ice about this morning. Saw one crashed Fiesta and really took my time. One or two "moments" and now I know, unsurprisingly that Bridgestone Adrenalines are crap on ice. I'll survive this year but next year once prices go sensible I'll be buying some winters and some steelies

I reckon the best time to buy is beginning of autumn or earlier.

Once the cold weather starts the prices go up and cold weather tyres get hard to find as loads of folks try to fit them ASAP.

I got lucky with my local fitter supplying four Hankook W310 iCept Evo tyres for my Elegance (205/55 16V) at £60 each fitted (and they repaired a puncture on one of my summers for free).

Mind you, they recognise me now as we use then for both cars.

Glad I did it as it's getting a bit slippery out lately and have seen 2 crashes in the last 3 days - both in 30mph side streets.

Edited by Lemming

Winter tyres are good for temperatures of 7'c or lower.

I should think that temps above that aren't a problem if you're doing reasonably short journeys and it doesn't stay warm for too long.

I'm not sure what the effect of warm weather would be on a long journey but suspect overheating.

I presume this would have an adverse effect on grip and possibly result in tyre failure?

Winter tyres are good for temperatures of 7'c or lower.

I should think that temps above that aren't a problem if you're doing reasonably short journeys and it doesn't stay warm for too long.

I'm not sure what the effect of warm weather would be on a long journey but suspect overheating.

I presume this would have an adverse effect on grip and possibly result in tyre failure?

To be slightly more specific; Winter tyres are at their best @ 7 degC or lower but they can be run at any tepaerature - don't worry they won't disintergate driving at 10 deg C or higher.

Its just that at higher temperatures 'in extremis' summer tyres will perform better and vice versa. There will be a slight differnce in wear rates too.

OK if you have winter tyres fitted in the summer at 30 degC and you thrash the car on a track day, your likely to wear them out very quickly and they will not grip as well as a summer tyre; but for ordinary every day motoring there is no ill effect.

My MD has a BMW X6 that I persuaded him to have winter tyres fitted to last winter, but he stayed on them all through the summer with no ill effect, apart from (perhaps) slightly higher tyre wear.

• Like 1

Found it interesting that Continental have this line on their winter tyre Q&A (UK):

"If you are reluctant to change tyres and have nowhere to store summer tyres when they are not in use, you are better off using winter tyres all year round."

Full page here: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/4x4-tyres/winter-tyres/why_winter/4x4_why_winter_en.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For anyone debating as between 2 and 4 winter tyres, I have a courtesy car this morning from my local dealer, and they have winter tyres fitted to the front only. When I pulled into my street which has a thin layer of now and ice, travelling at 20 mph the front gripped fine but the rear end spun round and the car turned 180 degrees.

Imagine if I'd been traveling faster on a main road!

For anyone debating as between 2 and 4 winter tyres, I have a courtesy car this morning from my local dealer, and they have winter tyres fitted to the front only. When I pulled into my street which has a thin layer of now and ice, travelling at 20 mph the front gripped fine but the rear end spun round and the car turned 180 degrees.

That's outrageous! I would have rejected the car and insisted on all four tyres the same (even if only summer).

I'd have been on the bus, they fit winters on the front of all their courtesy cars. I have debated it with them before without success. I just drive extra carefully on the main gritted roads, it only happened when I got into my own street which is untreated.

That's outrageous! I would have rejected the car and insisted on all four tyres the same (even if only summer).

YIKES!!! That is CRIMINAL!!! I'd have some words with them that's for sure!!!! That is a lethal combination and any fool will tell you that. Hope you gave the car back and told them exactly what you thought of their disregard for your safety!!!

Please point them to video two in the first post of this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/182447-the-winter-tyres-thread/

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm on nights i am in a car park a long way from any water so have to use de-icer.

My mate has just told me that de-icer is bad for the car,if it gets on the paintwork?

Is this true?

I've been using it for years.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well that the first morning this Autumn that i had to use De-icer not only before setting off but had to stop and use more.

Winter grade fuel being distributed to the Filling Stations in Scotland from this week.

Lots of Asda £1 moisture absorbing packs bought to put 1 in the passenger area and 1 in the boot.

& i will check out Halfords to see if Night Before Deicer is on sale this year.

• 1 month later...

Well that the first morning this Autumn that i had to use De-icer not only before setting off but had to stop and use more.

Winter grade fuel being distributed to the Filling Stations in Scotland from this week.

Lots of Asda £1 moisture absorbing packs bought to put 1 in the passenger area and 1 in the boot.

& i will check out Halfords to see if Night Before Deicer is on sale this year.

It wasn't on offer last week when we picked up some de-icer. Does that night-before stuff work well?