Perky fuel?

Saver

I've read similar threads before and been a bit sceptical,usually run my Vrs on Tesco diesel but as the local Esso had diesel at 102 a litre it was a no brainer really.

Went for a drive afterwards and thought "this feels lively" and it really is sharper and I suppose I'm now a believer in " better" fuels rather than supermarket.

This thing might be tricky. You get a test drive with 280 BMW and with 300hp Ford (without knowing the power ar torque values). Probably you will think that BMW can accelerate faster just because it is BMW...

I'd say that you should change from one to another several times and see if you feel any difference. Try to be honest. If your driving habits are similar day by day then try to calculate fuel consumption as well.

I ran through 10 tanks of Tesco's 99ron unleaded years ago in an 8v 4cyl bmw 318. I was doing a lot of miles covering the same journeys at the same times of day and getting very consistant mpg using regular fuel so figured it would be worth running the 99 stuff while keeping my driving style the same. Over ten tanks, without fail I got an increase in mileage that made it cheaper per mile to run than standard unleaded. I can't be bothered to do a test like that in every car but since then i've always put tesco's 99 in the car unless i can't get it, in which case i'll use v-power if i can or failing than any other super. one thing that i did find odd was that when I ran a few tanks of other brand super unleaded including v-power (which i think are all 97ron) in that same bmw and didnt see the same increase in mpg as i did with the 99ron tecos stuff and now, if i run my vrs on tesco's 99 i routinely get arond 400 to 410 miles to a tank whereas with v-power i'm more like 385 - 390 miles. Not a whole hill of beans, but noticeable.

Down my neck of the woods (south west) i always fill up with shell diesel on company shell fuel car (so price is same wherever), the difference i notice is if a fill up on the M5 north of Taunton, the car feels more powerful and seems to get better mpg. Filling up in Devon and Cornwall seems its sluggish again - i don't know where the depots are but think there is one in Bristol and one in Plymouth (me thinking the fuel from plymouth ain't so good).

.....I ran a few tanks of other brand super unleaded including v-power (which i think are all 97ron) in that same bmw and didnt see the same increase in mpg as i did with the 99ron tecos stuff and now, if i run my vrs on tesco's 99 i routinely get arond 400 to 410 miles to a tank whereas with v-power i'm more like 385 - 390 miles. Not a whole hill of beans, but noticeable.

Glad it is not just me that finds V power not all it's cracked up to be. My only concern with the Tesco fuel is the higher levels of ethanol in it.

Have given the new Esso Synergy a go, will put several tank fulls through and see how it performs. As it stands I get around 400 miles out of a tank of fuel.

I use Tesco or Esso depending on which I'm closer to at the time they both do the Clubcard points :dull: . Never noticed any difference at all which probably confirms that the Esso tankers you see delivering to Tesco is actually the same fuel. I used to run Millers when topped up which made a difference and much cheaper than using premium fuels but soon got bored of having to put it so now just use BG244 or Archoil 6400 annually to keep the fuel system clean.

I ran my TFSI on Tesco 99. I did notice a difference both in feel and mpg when using that over the normal supermarket 95RON. Certainly enough to cancel out the extra pennies.

Less of a difference with branded 95ROM like Shell.

All that told me was that the car was indeed tuned for super and that supermarket 95RON is ****e.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with supermarket derv now.

As to the 'Perky' Fuel from ESSO. (& Supermarket Fuels.)

?

Do you really know what Fuel you just bought, or where it came from?

Is the only way you know by how you think or know your car / vehicle is running on that fill up?

Not many people seem to know or bother that in some areas of the UK, 'ESSO' Filling stations are selling Fuel produced and supplied by 'Greenergy', 'To ESSO standard / quality'.

That is 'Greenergy' who is also the supplier to lots of Supermarket Filling Stations and retailers of fuels to the public.

(The same company that Produces and Supplies and delivers Fuels for many different Retailers,

and this is also who produces

'Tesco Momentum 99' Unleaded Petrol.(99 octane minimum.) Sold @ Supermarket Filling Stations.

http://greenergy.com/Products_services/retail.html

http://scottishgrocer.co.uk/2013/10/free-to-choose

http://greenergy.com/News/index.html

When it comes to petrol in the UK, Super Unleaded from Sainsburys, ESSO, BP etc is 97 ron Minimum, 

other than the Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro+ Super Unleaded.

('Greenergy' and 'Royal Dutch Shell' share Terminals, Sites & Depots for importation of Stock Fuels in parts of the UK.)

It is a shame with Skoda vehicles that have recommended petrol fuel of Super Unleaded 98 ron, 

that they do not make it clear on websites, brochures and Owners Hand Books, and you need to open a filler flap before you see it.

(Volkswagen have it on Websites if you care to look for the information.)

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

http://volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/octane-number

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744

This article from 2012.

But you might see, you get what you get because that is what was imported, what is getting the Importer, wholesaler and retailer the best profit, 

or gets the customer a lower price,

then it meets the 'Minimum Standard', (Often it can exceed it, especially with Imported Fuels',

and you pay Duty & VAT on it, and it should do what it says on the tin, or on the pump.

Sometimes bettering the 'Minimum Octane' when it comes to petrol, & even Diesel. (Centane)

• 3 weeks later...

I used to run my old car (02 plate Renault megane 1.8 16v)on shell v-power nitro plus. Ran a whole lot better than on standard shell unleaded.

Shell was shut for refurbishment so had to use esso (next closest station) put their super unleaded in. Over the same journeys the car ran horrible.

I personally wouldn't use esso again unless it's just enough to get me to a shell station.

If your car runs as good or better and gets the same fuel consumption or better on 95 ron (minimum) as the Super Unleaded 97 ron (min) or Super Unleaded 99 ron (min) then you are sorted, you have tried what works for you and thats all you need.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

(Does Shell Unleaded 95 ron not usually cost the same as Tesco Momentum 99 which costs only 5 pence a litre more than Tesco Unleaded 95 ron.)