Thoughts on the Ford Focus ST Estate?

Ally_bassman

My last day in work before Christmas.. Woooooo

So naturally I've been very busy...browsing the web.

I've been quite drawn to the Focus ST estate (petrol) Review here

I've had  my heart set on a used M135i to replace my 320d that I don't need for it's economy and motorway mile munching anymore.

But I've also had my heart set on getting a dog once I've moved out of my flat and bought a house. Now I can't really see a medium/large sized dog squeezed into the back of 1 series!

So, Fast Fords... any good? :p

Why not a Octavia VRS estate?

Looks like a good car. Full of tech and no doubt good to drive

I love the way the Octavia looks, but I've had 3 Skoda's now and am wanting to explore different manufacturers.

Plus they are as common as muck where I live!

I had a test drive of a hatch when I was bored waiting for my VRS.

I really like the styling of the Focus, and even in hatch form the boot was quite big. The reviews for them seem good too. The only criticism I have read is the front diff being controlled by electronics and braking wheels, but I'm sure that's not a new concept.

When I drove one, I liked the interior, the seats were snug and it drove very well. However the missus couldn't get comfortable in the front seat.

Mate of mine managed just fine with his dog in an Mk1 ST hatch. Dog was sizable Springer so not massive but not a pet rat either.

Car did stink of wet dog though :S

He got rid of the ST after a couple years because the mpg was just too awful even for him. He was averaging about 22mpg.

No real problems with the car in that time.

Edited by Aspman

I had a test drive of a hatch when I was bored waiting for my VRS.

I really like the styling of the Focus, and even in hatch form the boot was quite big. The reviews for them seem good too. The only criticism I have read is the front diff being controlled by electronics and braking wheels, but I'm sure that's not a new concept.

When I drove one, I liked the interior, the seats were snug and it drove very well. However the missus couldn't get comfortable in the front seat

That could often be a deal sealer.
  • Like 1

That could often be a deal sealer.

Yeah! It was pretty much the deal sealer! The car I drove was an ex demo and was a bargain. But hey ho. I'm happy in my VRS though so I'm not complaining too much :D

Now I can't really see a medium/large sized dog squeezed into the back of 1 series!

Our daughter has a lurcher, it fitted in the back of the wife's 1 series ok, admittedly not much spare space but ok. The daughter has a Focus hatch, roughly the same amount of room for the dog as the 1 series.

Those Recaro's are so, so huggy and nice, they keep you in the right place and even better with heaters :)

Agreed! I really liked them and they would stop you moving around as much as the VRS seats.

• 4 weeks later...

I wrongly thought all Ford Focus ST were Petrol or Diesel with Manual gearboxes.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out you can get a 2.0 TDCi 185ps Powershift.

So i got a loan for a couple of hours this morning of a Focus ST2 Estate with 700 miles on it.

It was the nicest automatic diesel i have driven in some time.

Simple and does what you expect of it.

I have driven Modeo Estates with auto in Petrol & Diesel and liked them, 

but the Focus ST Diesel Estate does float my boat.

Looking forward to getting a loan for a bit longer sometime in the next few weeks.

Not cheap RRP wise but i need to see what a Demonstrator or Used one can be had for.

ST2 or ST3 Estate available with Powershift. (Automatic.)

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I went to pick up a loaner Focus Automatic and was pleasantly surprised that it was a ST-Line or what ever and 182ps & an 8 speed auto.

But sitting available is a Focus Vignale Estate which is also a 1.5 ECOboost 182ps with 8 speed auto so that is what i am getting.

I will drive with respect for someone elses car as it looks like i will just chill and enjoy the comfort.

• Like 1

Have always liked Fords to drive but found the interiors very fussy and buttony (buttons bloody everywhere). Folks have had a few Focus estates (1.6d) and never had an issue with them (all new motability which helps).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

I went to pick up a loaner Focus Automatic and was pleasantly surprised that it was a ST-Line or what ever and 182ps & an 8 speed auto.

But sitting available is a Focus Vignale Estate which is also a 1.5 ECOboost 182ps with 8 speed auto so that is what i am getting.

I will drive with respect for someone elses car as it looks like i will just chill and enjoy the comfort.

Are Ford/motoring industry confident the earlier problems with ECOboost engines are now sorted?  I think it was limited to the 1 ltr units but haven't seen anything to the contrary.  We had a 125PS Fiesta and it was an absolute gem of an engine, especially with the always sublime Ford chassis.  I was surprised to learn of the issues with the 1 ltr unit as we had absolutely zero issues with that car, on a 3 year lease. 

The new Focus Vignale has a bloody nice spec and some lovely design touches too.  What colour have you gone for? White by any chance? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Aspman said:

New Focus is a nice looking motor. I think Ford are back on good design for now.

Back end of the hatch looks very peugotey though? New mondeo looks good in vignale spec to be fair though.

Also.. mentioning peugot.. the new 508 is a reasonably handsome looking thing. I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole, but it looks alright.

Separately,

1 of our area managers has a loaner captur atm as her 162 (july - dec 2016) regged focus diesel is in a dealership getting a new alternator fitted, around 40k on the clock....

I never bother about the back end of cars other than if they are in front with the rear fog light on and you are right behind them, or they sit foot on brake when stopped for 'long time mister'.

Saying that i have been taking pictures of them....  Just for comparison of what towbar to get.  

DSCN2546.JPG

DSCN2534.JPG

Edited by Skoffski

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 15:13, Ally_bassman said:

I love the way the Octavia looks, but I've had 3 Skoda's now and am wanting to explore different manufacturers.

Plus they are as common as muck where I live!

And the Ford Focus is not as common as muck,Britain's 2nd best selling car behind the Ford Fiesta. All Ford interiors are so tacky and cheap looking you would really have to want one to put with it.:cool:

43 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

And the Ford Focus is not as common as muck,Britain's 2nd best selling car behind the Ford Fiesta. All Ford interiors are so tacky and cheap looking you would really have to want one to put with it.:cool:

Wow - a blast from the past indeed! 

In in the end I didn’t get a Focus ST estate, I went for a Mercedes C350 estate. 

Plenty of Octy VRS’s and Focus ST’s around these days. It’s nice to mooch around in something that goes under the radar but can pick up and fly when you want it to!

26 minutes ago, Ally_bassman said:

Wow - a blast from the past indeed! 

In in the end I didn’t get a Focus ST estate, I went for a Mercedes C350 estate. 

Plenty of Octy VRS’s and Focus ST’s around these days. It’s nice to mooch around in something that goes under the radar but can pick up and fly when you want it to!

Glad you made the right choice and went for something with a nice interior.:thumbup:I spend 90 minutes per day in my car so nice to have a good quality interior to look at and touch.:inlove:

• Confused 1