TG news

Aspman

Mixing them with Sabine would be, shall we say interesting?

Sabine has gone head-to-head (no s******ing boys) on Fifth Gear a couple of times, as well as presented. Apparently things like BMW vs Merc etc.

I think VBH vs Sabine would do the viewing figures no end of good, and it would be different to what's on offer. (There would also be that unmenionable Britain vs Germany undertone too, which would not to the viewing figures a dis-service.)

Tiff would rock as The Stig too. ;)

(If he's not already ;) ;) )

EDIT:

Thinking the swear filter is turned up a little too high.....the missing word is s-n-i-g-g-e-r-i-n-g )

Edited by RainbowFire

Don't think there is room for VBH and Tiff.

I think they'll just continue as they are. Chris Harris can do the Tiff sideways bit now.

Bit of a shame 5th Gear has folded again, they made a decent stab at a different car show but seemed to be emulating TG a bit too often.

Sabine has gone head-to-head (no s******ing boys) on Fifth Gear a couple of times, as well as presented. Apparently things like BMW vs Merc etc.

I think VBH vs Sabine would do the viewing figures no end of good, and it would be different to what's on offer. (There would also be that unmenionable Britain vs Germany undertone too, which would not to the viewing figures a dis-service.)

Tiff would rock as The Stig too. ;)

(If he's not already ;) ;) )

EDIT:

Thinking the swear filter is turned up a little too high.....the missing word is s-n-i-g-g-e-r-i-n-g )

Pretty much agreed, not least because I think Tiffany's ego might get a few dents!

Ref the "swearing", I've said before that if you can test for $string then you can test for %20$string, which avoids false positives like the one you instance or "Scunthorpe".

Don't think there is room for VBH and Tiff.

I think they'll just continue as they are. Chris Harris can do the Tiff sideways bit now.

Bit of a shame 5th Gear has folded again, they made a decent stab at a different car show but seemed to be emulating TG a bit too often.

I think the issue is dumping it on obscure sky channels in its last days.

• 2 months later...

There goes most of TGs chances in season two

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37470962

Hopefully they can find a replacement for Evans that has enough personality to make up for Matt the blanks lack of.

Chris Harris and Rory Reid............

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1106306_chris-harris-and-rory-reid-to-join-matt-leblanc-as-lead-hosts-on-top-gear

The format is dead. It needs revamping not copying the previous hosts

True although admittedly I can't think what a good format would be after watching a variety of different car shows in the meantime, I liked some of the Chris Harris YT videos particularly on the new supercar hybrids but there's only so much of that I can take.  I'm also not fussed about practical sections on every day cars as I can get far better information from forums like this, I am hoping with the Grand Tour being unshackled from the TG format it might work out well but I'm concerned at the fact there's a lot of money being spent on it and high expectations which may mean they play it safe and try to keep it much the same.

John

The format is dead. It needs revamping not copying the previous hosts

Yeah they should have started from scratch but the Beeb is risk averse and they didn't want to stop selling Stig pencil cases etc.

Maybe with the first series not having gone so well they'll let it evolve.

I'm far more certain that JC et al will not just be having TG in a tent. I think he's a lot more savvy than that and the Amazon show will have quite a different format to TG.

I'm sure they'll stick with the two programs but maybe they could run the second show in a more magazine format. Bit more real world.

Edited by Aspman

There goes most of TGs chances in season two

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37470962

Hopefully they can find a replacement for Evans that has enough personality to make up for Matt the blanks lack of.

Never know, if he felt evans was over doing it and beimg a shouty pita, he may have been over trying to be calm and subdued. He might feel a bit happier/at ease if hes got a bit more space to work with.

However...

the whole show needed a refurb not just presenters and the beeb didnt take the chance. So yeah, unless theres a miracle with season 2, a 3rd might be on very shaky ground..

It's dead, they killed it.

I'd rather pay amazon my money than watch this junk.

I've come up with a right wheeze of a new format for a car programme;

A programme that reviews new and used cars; cars which the average man can actually consider owning. PROPER reviews and real world tests.

Add in a few reviews of car related things such as dash cams and what have you.........................

You never know, it might just work

A programme that reviews new and used cars; cars which the average man can actually consider owning. PROPER reviews and real world tests.

Add in a few reviews of car related things such as dash cams and what have you.........................

Then do like that one episode of TG - take "identical" old cars and see how they have worn out compared to the competition..

I think Fifth Gear has fairly conclusively shown that type of show doesn't work any more and I can't see the appeal myself, if I want that type of information there's loads of it out there already and in a better format than a brief TV show could offer.  Top Gear itself had suffered badly as a serious show and was pretty much dead until Jeremy Clarkson revamped the show entirely making it more of an entertainment show than a car program.  The stuff that average people are interested in with a car really don't make for interesting TV viewing.

John

Maybe part of the problem is that 'ordinary' cars are all pretty decent now. You don't get real duffers like you used to and no show is really going to test for reliability over years.

Also You Tube has that covered a thousand times over.

TG will always be a car based entertainment show not a magazine program.

I think TG can be more than ****ing about in cars or seeing what you can smash up.

Car reviews are done to death which is why fifth gear died. Again.

Clarkson will have taken the best bits with him, so the BBC will need to come up with something unique to appeal

He didn't get The Stig, so the "best bits" that went with him are all called "James May". Having said that, swapping Captain Slow for Sabine is a good move IMO.

• Like 1

He didn't get The Stig, so the "best bits" that went with him are all called "James May". Having said that, swapping Captain Slow for Sabine is a good move IMO.

Was more about the interesting drives in some great cars. For me that was the only part which appealed. But because of the Hammond, May and the rest of the shows content I couldn't watch any of it.

The only episode I watched was the Patagonia special simply to confirm my opinion that (based on Clarksons sly grins to camera) that car reg wasn't coincidence.

It looks like James May is recording a voice for someones SatNav :)

JM poss Sat nav linky

If it's true and he is decidedly grumpy on the instructions, I may put it on my Christmas wish list 

You do realise that he's likely to give you directions like Manchester to London via $my_place? Of course, this may be a good thing for me...

I expect a lot of of "bother, you should have turned left back there.....er no....right, I mean right...." and "slow down, you have a turning in a mile or two....oh cox, you missed it" 

Edited by Lady Elanore

Corvette, 911 and the new Stog er Tame Racing Driver, er, they just call him 'the Ben Collins'

The Grand Tour latest vid (a few mins long this one :)

Looks like the boys have kept their sense of humour exactly where we last saw it :)

Edit: I should add that I am referring to the New new new Top Gear Grand Tour Gear Knobs thingie

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

The format is fine for me. What it needs is time so the presenters can get to know each other rather than throwing them in together. it felt false and looked like hard work.

The first few series of "new top gear" where wooden and forced with 0 atmosphere.

It took 4 series before the first Road trip.

Needs fewer presenters otherwise it feels disconnected.

• Like 1