Should I change the cam belt

21flames

Hi all

Iv'e just took a punt and brought a cheap fabia 1.9 sdi

There's a few small issues but mainly in a good condition, what I'm worried about is it is on 122,000 and last time the belt and pump was changed was around the 75,000 mark.

I've read very conflicting opinions on times to change.

Is it worth getting it done? For the price I paid I would be happy to get another 5,000 out of it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I only paid £325 for the car.

He had the head done in Feb but declined a belt and pump change.

Kinda gamble, if it goes in a month I'm out of pocket, 3 months I'm not bothered.

Someone quoted me £150 for a belt change, including belt.

I only paid £325 for the car.

He had the head done in Feb but declined a belt and pump change.

Kinda gamble, if it goes in a month I'm out of pocket, 3 months I'm not bothered.

Someone quoted me £150 for a belt change, including belt.

Makes it a massive gamble seeing as the belts been re tensioned.

I know bear minimum about cars, but I presume he should have had a new belt change when the head was done instead of being re tensioned. I will definitely get it done.

Yeah.

Really bad practise/false economy re - using a cambelt!

Depends how lucky your feeling..

Personally I would just stick a belt on it if money's tight rather than get carried away with the water pump and rollers.

Belt on its own is like £30 or so.

Depends how lucky your feeling..

Personally I would just stick a belt on it if money's tight rather than get carried away with the water pump and rollers.

Belt on its own is like £30 or so.

But the labour charge will be almost the same as doing the lot,and once the new belts fitted there is a really good chance the pump will start to leak not long after.

But if can't afford a kit and pump it's a safe risk... honestly the amount of belts I have fitted without a pump because the customer is skint..

Until I got ill I was fitting over a 100 belts a year at work. Obviously if the pump has play or feels tight or leaking then it has to be done.

Since working on the first octavia tdi back in 98 I've only seen 5 or 6 pumps with bearing failure. Few more with impellor problems but if it's working now then winner really.

I've seen various cars in my m8's garage back in for a pump after scrimping on a pump with a belt change!

Price of a water pump against the gamble of labour cost of doing it all again is a no brainer imo,especially on the car in this thread as the pump is well old ! :)

I've seen various cars in my m8's garage back in for a pump after scrimping on a pump with a belt change!

Price of a water pump against the gamble of labour cost of doing it all again is a no brainer imo,especially on the car in this thread as the pump is well old ! :)

Seconded, and doubly so since if the water pump goes you need a new cam belt again when you replace the pump (cam belt is now contaminated with G12, and would be re-tensioned).

• Like 1

Well I found the full kit and pump ( Gates ) for £95 delivered and labour £110, so that works for me, fingers crossed everything else is ok, seems to be, just a nearside bearing needs doing I was told, see what the mechanic says. 

• Like 1

Well I found the full kit and pump ( Gates ) for £95 delivered and labour £110, so that works for me, fingers crossed everything else is ok, seems to be, just a nearside bearing needs doing I was told, see what the mechanic says. 

I presume you mean wheel bearing? If so, then it can wait til you can hear it whining, but you'll need a bearing press to change it.

I presume you mean wheel bearing? If so, then it can wait til you can hear it whining, but you'll need a bearing press to change it.

More a bearing puller than a press. Laser and Sealey are two companies that make the correct kit now. Due to the shape and design of the bearing using a standard hydraulic press is difficult and usually ends up damaging the bearing.

Edited by Tech1e

Any recommendations on VRS cam-belt and water pump please? I intended to order direct from Eurocarparts unless anyone points me in an alternative direction. Thanks.