Android head unit DS820

Juan27, how did it go?

I am ashamed to say the DS820 still in the box many months later.  I still intend to fit it soon, but did anyone solve the android phone link issue? Also if you do get it working does the USB connection charge your phone or is it just for the link?    

I used a Vauxhall recently where you can run Google Maps from your phone via a USB link, but it doesn't charge it at the same time which is a bit of a limitation 

Edited by juan27

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering one of these myself, but can anyone confirm if the DS820 has RCA pre outs for external amps?

Also, what are the main differences between the DS820 and the Andriod unit exactly?

Big difference is the 820 is Windows CE, not Android and looks more like the original equipment. It really depends on what you want out of a head unit.

I am ashamed to say the DS820 still in the box many months later.  I still intend to fit it soon, but did anyone solve the android phone link issue? Also if you do get it working does the USB connection charge your phone or is it just for the link?    

I used a Vauxhall recently where you can run Google Maps from your phone via a USB link, but it doesn't charge it at the same time which is a bit of a limitation 

The phone link basically doesn't work. It does charge though. Maybe that's the problem :) Icebox promised a firmware update but it never materialised and I didn't bother chasing them up on it.

There are 2 USB outs on the DS820 which I routed to the dashtop storage box. Doesn't seem to matter which you plug the phone into. I tend to use the Bluetooth streaming or the SD Card in the head unit for music anyway, both of which work fine.

The phone link basically doesn't work. It does charge though. Maybe that's the problem :) Icebox promised a firmware update but it never materialised and I didn't bother chasing them up on it.

There are 2 USB outs on the DS820 which I routed to the dashtop storage box. Doesn't seem to matter which you plug the phone into. I tend to use the Bluetooth streaming or the SD Card in the head unit for music anyway, both of which work fine.

That's a shame. Funnily enough I asked Icebox if there were any (non-specific) firmware updates a few days ago, but no dice. Having played with a few cars with Android Auto I would have liked this to work

Edited by juan27

Dose anyone have a instruction manual for the DS820 they could put on the thread or send to me in a message ,

I've just ordered one but want to look at all the other inputs ect so I can get my head round it before it turns up,

Dose anyone have a instruction manual for the DS820 they could put on the thread or send to me in a message ,

I've just ordered one but want to look at all the other inputs ect so I can get my head round it before it turns up,

Hi i have also been looking for a manual. Managed to find this for the ds611 which is basically the same platform. (same software, same screens etc...) not sure it will help you confirm outputs but it may be of some interest from a software point of view.

DS611-compressed.pdf

Hi i have also been looking for a manual. Managed to find this for the ds611 which is basically the same platform. (same software, same screens etc...) not sure it will help you confirm outputs but it may be of some interest from a software point of view.

Looks about the same head unit to me

I can't really get the AF function to work for this unit.

Every time it's enabled, the radio just starts flipping through some random frequencies.

I've tried with every combination, but nothing works.

I'm in Demnark, but the AF function works for every other radio here, so I can't see that being an issue.

By the radio module you mean the bluetooth module right? These headunits have one inbuild so what is the point to have the external one connected (and it won't work in first place)?

That's a shame. Funnily enough I asked Icebox if there were any (non-specific) firmware updates a few days ago, but no dice. Having played with a few cars with Android Auto I would have liked this to work

Ok so i have the DS-820 installed for a week now and after some tinkering for me the mirror link is working in stable manner from my android phone. I have noticed some cables do not work. Basically i think some cables do not allow full USB transfer because the same cables that do not work with mirror link do not work with using my phone a USB storage device on my pc. 

There were some pre-requisites for successful setup

1. Enable USB debugging mode in developer options on the phone.

2. Enable "unknown sources" (so you can install an application called "drive mode" which the setup gives you a link to via QR code.

3. My phone must be unlocked at the point that i make the connection.

4. The phone must have sucessfull bluetooth pair for audio.

As long as these are met my connection is stable even when the head unit switches to another screen (for example if i open a door and it switches to the door warning screen) it goes back to the mirror link with a simple press of the back button. No need to re-establish connection at any point.

This makes using a spotify for music and google maps for nav a viable option. I travelled recently using google maps as my main nav and it was plenty fast enough. The audio announce audio announcements lowered the spotify volume just the right amount. 

The unit has quirks but it is a massive improvement over the bolero and i am very pleased. Another bonus is that the sound is miles better than the bolero.

I think my only complaint is the radio reception but i am now using tune-in radio anyway.

Next tinkering session will involve trying to replace sygic nav  (which i don't like) with Igo Primo as my backup Nav if my phone is dead or loses signal.

Assuming you have an android phone I reckon this may be down to your cable. If you plug your phone into to your computer with the cable are you able to see it as a mass storage device and access the files on it ? I found that with certain cables i only get charging but no usb data connection. I think not all cables are born equal in terms of pin-outs.

• Like 1

Ds820 arrived today so took a few pictures before I installed it,

Now done installation once I found the English settings it only took about 15 minutes to set up.

All I need to do now is install the reversing camera,attachicon.gifIMG_0520.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0524.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0528.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0530.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0527.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0527.JPG

cracking looking screen. Look forward to seeing it installed and running

• 2 weeks later...

Had intermittent radio reception problems and took a punt on replacing the roof aerial with a genuine Skoda part because the original looked a bit the worse for wear and the circuit board in the plastic base is known to fail. Cheap enough part, about 30 quid I think.

Easy to fit once you prise the rear headliner trim off and radio reception is now perfect. 

Mine is still going strong. Yesterday I fitted a reversing camera to it (same model as mikeholroyd) and it works a treat. I didn't take any photos but it was easy to fit. Biggest struggle was getting the hatch interior trim off and back on and feeding the cable though. Only 2 cuts so not too bad. 

While it was out, I also fitted an anti-glare screen protector. I cut up one that fits a Kindle and it has improved the visibility in sun.

Edited by darrenw
  • Like 1

I was also unable to get desnav to work which I believe is down to a resolution mismatch with the device, however I have gotten iGo Primo to work perfectly.

the rest of the device is excellent for my needs, the bluetooth connection to my phone works perfectly, allowing me to listen to music and podcasts downloaded to my phone and the bluetooth call system works brilliantly without the need to route a mic cable, well worth the money in my opinion.

I've also been looking at this but want dab and can't see the option.

There's also this one

http://www.eonon.co.uk/Specific-Car-GPS/D5153ZE.html

I was also unable to get desnav to work which I believe is down to a resolution mismatch with the device, however I have gotten iGo Primo to work perfectly.

the rest of the device is excellent for my needs, the bluetooth connection to my phone works perfectly, allowing me to listen to music and podcasts downloaded to my phone and the bluetooth call system works brilliantly without the need to route a mic cable, well worth the money in my opinion.

Hi there, may i ask where you got the igo primo , ive tried to get it to work on mine but it crashes due to resolution problems. cheers. 

Mine is still going strong. Yesterday I fitted a reversing camera to it (same model as mikeholroyd) and it works a treat. I didn't take any photos but it was easy to fit. Biggest struggle was getting the hatch interior trim off and back on and feeding the cable though. Only 2 cuts so not too bad. 

While it was out, I also fitted an anti-glare screen protector. I cut up one that fits a Kindle and it has improved the visibility in sun.

I'm having problems with rear cam.

Connected camera to reversing light then the trigger cable BUT there's another cable witch come from the headunit witch say camera positive. So connected that one as well now when I put the indicators on the screen on the head unit goes blank . Will have another look at it today . I might of been a bad day as it's cold out outside

All I did, rightly or wrongly, was connect the camera to the rear hatch release cable by the plug as normal, feed the cable to the front fuse box, earth and tap into a live feed piggy back for the dash cam. The video cable plugged in to the head tail cable. No other power was needed.

As far as I can tell, the canbus does the activation on reverse.