Android head unit DS820

All I did, rightly or wrongly, was connect the camera to the rear hatch release cable by the plug as normal, feed the cable to the front fuse box, earth and tap into a live feed piggy back for the dash cam. The video cable plugged in to the head tail cable. No other power was needed.

As far as I can tell, the canbus does the activation on reverse.

Ok thanks all sorted now. It was a wrong setting on the head unit.

Now to do the mirror link as the built in sat nav is rubbish,

Ok so i have the DS-820 installed for a week now and after some tinkering for me the mirror link is working in stable manner from my android phone. I have noticed some cables do not work. Basically i think some cables do not allow full USB transfer because the same cables that do not work with mirror link do not work with using my phone a USB storage device on my pc. 

There were some pre-requisites for successful setup

1. Enable USB debugging mode in developer options on the phone.

2. Enable "unknown sources" (so you can install an application called "drive mode" which the setup gives you a link to via QR code.

3. My phone must be unlocked at the point that i make the connection.

4. The phone must have sucessfull bluetooth pair for audio.

As long as these are met my connection is stable even when the head unit switches to another screen (for example if i open a door and it switches to the door warning screen) it goes back to the mirror link with a simple press of the back button. No need to re-establish connection at any point.

This makes using a spotify for music and google maps for nav a viable option. I travelled recently using google maps as my main nav and it was plenty fast enough. The audio announce audio announcements lowered the spotify volume just the right amount. 

The unit has quirks but it is a massive improvement over the bolero and i am very pleased. Another bonus is that the sound is miles better than the bolero.

I think my only complaint is the radio reception but i am now using tune-in radio anyway.

Next tinkering session will involve trying to replace sygic nav  (which i don't like) with Igo Primo as my backup Nav if my phone is dead or loses signal.

Having a problem setting up mirror link

Phone connects to head unit but I can't work out what buttons to press on the head unit to show it,

Using iPhone 6,

Can you or anyone please help as the head units sat nav is absolute rubbish

Don't believe it works with an iPhone.

For what it's worth my experience with the mirror link on the DS820 is that it just doesn't work, end of. I sorta kinda had it half working with Android until my phone had a system update, now won't connect at all. Tried several Android handsets, different cables, Bluetooth on/off, rooted/not rooted, made no difference.

Got onto Icebox last week about a firmware update, promised they'd be back to me in 24 hours. Not heard from them since. They appear keen to help when you talk to them, but then nothing. That's twice now, so not impressed.

Pity as the mirror link would be handy to have, but I've basically given up it. at this point. If you do get it working, let us know.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really get the AF function to work for this unit.

Every time it's enabled, the radio just starts flipping through some random frequencies.

I've tried with every combination, but nothing works.

I'm in Demnark, but the AF function works for every other radio here, so I can't see that being an issue.

AF on these and every other mtcb android unit is broken. There is no software fix available and nothing you can really do about it.

It is a hardware design fault.

AF on these and every other mtcb android unit is broken. There is no software fix available and nothing you can really do about it.

It is a hardware design fault.

Damn that's a bummer...

Thanks for the answer

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm buying a new radio/navigation for a 2007 Octavia vRS tdi to replace the Stream Mp3 and I would appreciate if you could help me.

Any news on the phone mirror link for the DS820? Does it work with iphone/andriod phones? Any software updates for the unit?

If there is nothing new can you please reccomend an alternative unit? I would like to have phisical button for loudness.

I have front/rear parking sensors - is it possible to show them on the unit's display (as far as I've read not)?

Thank you.

• 5 months later...

I've got a DS 820 I bought last year that's still in the box, never fitted to the car. I intend to sell in the classified section when I get pictures etc sorted out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I purchased this one from juan27 and was just wanting to know what fakra adaptor is needed.  Long time since i upgraded from a stream to bolero in a previous car.  I see on the back of the 820 its a double socket.  Do i need to get a single to double fakra adaptor?  Also i emailed icebox about a mic but didn't get a response.  Any ideas on where i can source one?  

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, bestyuk said:

Hi All, 

I purchased this one from juan27 and was just wanting to know what fakra adaptor is needed.  Long time since i upgraded from a stream to bolero in a previous car.  I see on the back of the 820 its a double socket.  Do i need to get a single to double fakra adaptor?  Also i emailed icebox about a mic but didn't get a response.  Any ideas on where i can source one?  

Thanks in advance. 

Hi maybe try ringing Icebox? They are quite slow to respond to emails, but you are asking to buy something?

Gave them a call, they didn't "think" they sold the external mic and didn't know if the vag mic would fit.  Didn't know about Fakra connector either so i guess i will have to take it out and then order any bits after rather than having it all ready. 

28 minutes ago, deemack said:

The mic I got was a VAG OEM part, try a main dealer, may be cheap enough? Icebox shipped mine though.

There are some on ebay, but I don't know where it plugs in and hence what the connector should look like. 

On 5/8/2016 at 08:25, deemack said:

The microphone was supplied by Rob in Icebox Auto along with the DS820 head unit. It's a tenner and consists of a rectangular block microphone with an electrical connection which clip into the relevant sockets in the overhead light and a long cable which is routed via the headliner and pillar then behind the dash to the big block connection on the back of the radio. It just clips in, can only go one way.

I don't have MFSW but I do have full maxidot.

From reading posts on other forums I gather only some functions of the MSFW work but can't recall which.

Its six years since I've seen the back of my Bolero, but I'm pretty sure the aerial connector looked like the one on the DS-820. 

4 hours ago, juan27 said:

Its six years since I've seen the back of my Bolero, but I'm pretty sure the aerial connector looked like the one on the DS-820. 

Yeah it's exactly the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Right this is all in and working.  Seems to be ok although i haven't had a good play with it yet.

Does anyone that has one of these units know where to get the latest firmware?  This unit says the following

BSP = DS1.09_A3.07

APP = V8.1.01.48_20151110

Something else but there was glare on the glass so i can't see it in my picture right now = A1.22.2-00.151110

Thanks in advance

I may as well make sure its upto date from the get go. 

Thanks I will give this a go.  

What version did this take you too and do you think it fixed any issues ? I say this although I still haven't played around too much.  But like I said, would rather start on the newest version going forward .  

Thanks to KienKia I got in touch with Audiosources via Skype and received an update file. The instructions were to extract it to a blank SD Card, Check the version numbers and reset the radio to upgrade the firmware (BSP). Then separately update the APP and MCU via the touchscreen.

Version numbers look like this:

version.jpg.bf0729ba9b89769d1fd752cbe3c428d0.jpg

Couldn't get any further though. Factory reset just wiped all my settings but didn't update the BSP version. When I double checked the file list in the instructions it transpired the archive they sent me is missing a file shown in the instructions. I've gone back to Audiosources on that and await a response.

If anyone wants the archive as it stands, it's here. Note: Use this entirely at your own risk!!. If you brick your head unit don't say you weren't warned. That's the file exactly as I got it from Audiosources. I haven't been able to apply it yet so I can't vouch for it in any way whatsoever. You're on your own here!

If I get any further, I'll update the thread. If anyone's successfully updated one of these can you outline the steps you took?