Android head unit DS820

Just installed my new android head unit. A few issues...

Too low intensity on the screen.

Bad reception on the DAB+

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the original gps antenna on the roof? And is it possible to replace the FM antenna that is colocated with the gps antenna with a original DAB+ antenna?

20170702_161938.jpg

On 29/6/2017 at 22:02, bestyuk said:

This is great.  I didn't get any response from them so this is most definitely a step in the right direction.  Hopefully they get back to you. 

They came back to me. Turns out reset referred to the little pin-hole button next to the Map card slot, not the one in the menu.

So I wrote a fresh SD card, checked the versions and pressed reset. The process started OK, updated some files and got to the third stage (MCU) at which point the screen went blank. Firmware updates being what they are I left it for about 15 minutes or so, but the unit stayed blank.

Long story short, it looks like the firmware update has bricked the head unit. Called Icebox who suggested ignition off, then while holding power & reset in, ignition on and wait ten seconds. Release reset but keep holding power. Didn't have any effect on mine. Checked fuse etc. all good, so looks like the unit is completely stuffed.

So now looking at re-instating the Stream MP3 :(

Depending on what Icebox have to say about it I may ship the DS-820 back to them for repair. Or I might lob it in the recycling and cut my losses. Monday's, eh?

[Edit: Unit removed, going back to Icebox under RMA]

Edited by deemack

• 3 months later...

Dragging this post up from the past i know! 

Does anyone know what wire on the additional DS820 looms i should be using for an amp Control wire.  In the good old days, they were normally blue and labelled control.  

This unit has a loom that includes rear cam with voltage.  I wasn't sure if this was constant or only engaged when reverse is selected.  I can't check until i pull the headunit out and connect as i didn't fit any of the extra looms when i installed it.  Only the Vag Mic.

It would be silly having the subwoofer out and no proper control power for the amp?  

On the camera loom there are 3 non rca connectors (just wires) labelled RIGHT REVERSE, REVERSE, REVERSE+12VOUT.

Cheers.  

Edited by bestyuk
additional info

15 hours ago, bestyuk said:

Dragging this post up from the past i know! 

Does anyone know what wire on the additional DS820 looms i should be using for an amp Control wire.  In the good old days, they were normally blue and labelled control.  

This unit has a loom that includes rear cam with voltage.  I wasn't sure if this was constant or only engaged when reverse is selected.  I can't check until i pull the headunit out and connect as i didn't fit any of the extra looms when i installed it.  Only the Vag Mic.

It would be silly having the subwoofer out and no proper control power for the amp?  

On the camera loom there are 3 non rca connectors (just wires) labelled RIGHT REVERSE, REVERSE, REVERSE+12VOUT.

Cheers.  

my pic earlier in the thread of the wiring diagram on the unit any help?

Edited by juan27

You may well be correct.  Looking at the diagram there is an ACC pin labelled.  I suppose i just need to check this with a multimeter to see if its acting as a switched live on the ignition or powering up when the stereo is switched on.  

While i have the stereo out i will also check to see when the reverse+12vout wire has power.

Ideally i dont want an amp on when the car is running and the stereo is off.  Although the stereo is on 99% of the time when the car is running in reality i suppose.  

Older style aftermarket headunits were always much more simple than this. 

Thanks 

• 2 months later...

Please guys help me:)

I have dead columbus 2-no sound...the repair is too expensive.

Please can anybody tell me if is an android good option and works good?

Pleas can somebody tell me wich android radio should i buy for my octavia 3 2013 for replacing my columbus.

Is there needed wires cutting?

Will work the voice control,can there change settings for car,like i have drive profil,lights,tpms,mirrors,light assistant...wil this work and can be settings audijustable on android radio? Will the navigations work on board comupter  on spedo mind kmh and rpms lcd...and radio stations,and phone...will be displeyed there or just on radio?

Can i use the original usb port and aux?

Will be all options on android radio like was bee on columbus and all setings.

Pleas help

Edited by Skodilakrs1

51 minutes ago, Skodilakrs1 said:

Please guys help me:)

I have dead columbus 2-no sound...the repair is too expensive.

Please can anybody tell me if is an android good option and works good?

Pleas can somebody tell me wich android radio should i buy for my octavia 3 2013 for replacing my columbus.

Is there needed wires cutting?

Will work the voice control,can there change settings for car,like i have drive profil,lights,tpms,mirrors,light assistant...wil this work and can be settings audijustable on android radio? Will the navigations work on board comupter  on spedo mind kmh and rpms lcd...and radio stations,and phone...will be displeyed there or just on radio?

Can i use the original usb port and aux?

Will be all options on android radio like was bee on columbus and all setings.

Pleas help

This thread is about a head unit for the Octavia Mk 2 which had much less infotainment integration than the Mk3 has.  I would research which aftermarket head units are available for the O3 and then post questions about the specific models?    

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...