2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

So ta ra to Massa.

Liked watching him. 

Practice 2 for F1 Italian GP is on Channel 4 now.

Yeah I like Massa, one of the better drivers to not win a championship, good all round driver and very fast at times. Still, we move on. Wonder if he'll race in other formats?

Perez maybe? Think they need someone younger than JB

Possibly, but Button is known for being good with the sponsors and doing PR and Williams might need more of that to secure more funding to make the car more competitive. 

So ta ra to Massa.

Liked watching him. 

Practice 2 for F1 Italian GP is on Channel 4 now.

Not surprised but he will be remembered as one of the better F1 drivers. I don't think he ever got over his accident completely, there were times before that he could go toe to toe with Schumacher.  

We're assuming Button wants to carry on driving? He sounds almost ready to retire, although he could see himself out with a cheeky one year contract for nostalgia if nothing else...although there is little room for sentiment in this sport.

At least as someone is retiring it means another youngun should pop up somewhere on the grid.

Button not racing in F1 next year :( Unless Alonso or Vandoorne can't race for some reason

Shame :(

Article says he could come back after two years ? I don't think there's realistically much chance of that. I watched the Button /Walker interview and it had a 'this is the end' feeling about it. We will now get to see what Vandoorne can do :sun:   

Article says he could come back after two years ? I don't think there's realistically much chance of that. I watched the Button /Walker interview and it had a 'this is the end' feeling about it. We will now get to see what Vandoorne can do :sun:   

He could be back after a one year sabbatical? 2018, after taking 2017 out. 

I'm gutted, as a Button fan. We'll see what happens, I cant see him returning tbh, I think him ending up on TG is more likely given how natural he is in front of the camera. :D

Out of interest does anyone know whats happen to the great Michael Shumacher? Is he still recovering or in a vegititive state? 

Mixed information and no updates recently. Some people in the paddock talk about him in the past tense like hes dead

others talk like hes very much alive and listening.

Out of interest does anyone know whats happen to the great Michael Shumacher? Is he still recovering or in a vegititive state? 

Mixed information and no updates recently. Some people in the paddock talk about him in the past tense like hes dead

others talk like hes very much alive and listening.

I have a little read about every now and then, they are keeping things very private, which is a miracle these days. 

Without revealing a source, I have been told Schumacher is having round the clock treatment (at a staggering cost per month) and occasionally recognises his family be moving his eyes. It doesn't look like he is coming back to us. 

Without revealing a source, I have been told Schumacher is having round the clock treatment (at a staggering cost per month) and occasionally recognises his family be moving his eyes. It doesn't look like he is coming back to us. 

:'(

That was my reaction. Still the Schumachers have huge funds and he is getting the best medical attention available on the planet. We can only hope for a miracle I guess (who would bet against Michael Schumacher to deliver a miracle )

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

I should add there was one thing that I was told that puzzled me. the person telling me the info at one point used the phrase 'locked in syndrome; which seemed odd considering that they had previously referred to MS as 'occasionally' recognising family members. I shot this person a look that said "is there hope" (if you see what I mean) but they said nothing. It might explain why they are spending so much money (think top world class footballs wages)

Wow! lots going on here - and I only moved 10 time zones since my last post.

Meanwhile, I see Max has been engaged in a distasteful and ugly public slagging match with Jaques Villeneuve.

Surely Marko and Red Bull aren't advising him to go down this path?

Edited by camelspyyder

Urgh, Jacques Villeneuve, someone who needs to pop back under his rock and keep his trap shut. I've not read any details but they were discussing it on Sky and said he'd (Max) chosen his words carefully but was a bit close to the line. I seem to remember Jacques slating someone else in the past, he only appears to talk ****e. 

All that said, hopefully Max will tone it down a bit, Monza will show his dangerous side again if he doesnt. They did also say on Sky that other drivers in his junior series said he was a liability back then on the straights too. 

Edited by matt1chelski

Actually the distasteful part was Max talking about Jacques in the context of being a killer driver...

very sensitive to the family of the deceased I must say.

Jacques just expressed the same opinions as Kimi, half the motosport journos and a few on here - namely the kid's fast yes but dangerous.  As he's still a school age teenager he's probably been voted "Kid most likely to kill some one driving" by his 6th form...

Edited by camelspyyder

he seems very immature to me. I hear what the pundits are saying about all the greats make a mark as soon as they appear, but so do some of the dangerous nutters, regardless of talent. Hopefully he will get put on the naughty step for a bit and grow up a tad. 

According to Autosport, the FIA safety chief, Charlie Whiting, has had a warning word with the kid at Monza.

Given that this years cars may threaten the record 369.9kmh at this track, that's a good thing: a collision at that speed on the straight could have LeMans '55 eclipsing consequences...

(229.84mph by Antonio Pizzonia in a 2004 Williams-BMW)

Edited by camelspyyder