Still worth buying the mk1 vrs in 2016?

BBiZ

The wife had a small bump in he MK1 VRS last year and as you never know how Insurance companies met the assessor to make sure he wouldn't scrap it but he said he valued it at £4- £4.5k which was really surprising as we paid £5.5k for it in 2011. It's done 65k and has Black/Yellow (a lot nicer than it sounds) leather & Cruise but other than the wheels being powder coated Light Anthracite it's still standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Just goes to show good examples off these cars are still out there. Which is good to see, yes there nearly ten years old but they just seem to last well if looked after, a lot off people just keep saying good things about them.

Also a lot to choose from I think so the right car will be out there. Seems about 2500 for a good history vrs with around 100k miles seems about the average from what I have seen.

Not sure if anyone saw it, but there was an SE on autotrader last week with 22000 on the clock at a skoda dealer. It was up for 6500

Now that's low!

Bet it would be a lovely car.

My Mrs has just bought a SE with just over 70k on clock,one owner etc,and that is a lovely little car to drive :)

How can it be still like a new car ? An old new 10 year old car maybe ;)

Its entirely possible someone has done 5 miles to work and back every day for 10 years in it ......I think I'll pass.......:D

• 1 year later...

I have a mk1 VRS 55000 miles FSH full leather cc 6cd player under the seat sun roof 2005 on a 55 plate in diamond black one previous and I just love it cheap to insure 50 to the gallon more on a long run 

Edited by johnwillie

Mine is currently SORN because the cost of insuring and taxing it exceeds its 'book' value. On the first loss, least loss principle I should just go the scrapyard and tell them to come and take it away. 

Mileage is so critical to the value in the UK. Condition and servicing should be the deciding factors but people seem obsessed with low mileage cars. It's incredible how people will chip-in to a thread about a 10 year old car with 22,000 miles on the clock saying things like "that'll be just like new" when it's probably got just as many paint scratches and dents as a car with 5 or 6 times the mileage or even worse, the dealer has "smart-repaired" it so it looks perfect. The assumptions people make about low mileage are genuinely scary. And that's assuming it's not been clocked. I have the ECU and dashpod from a 16,000 mile vRS. That's an easy swap except obviously the MOTs would show the truth :)

But if you were cunning and kept putting that dashpod and ECU in for every MOT it would be pretty easy to clock a vRS in reality. Given how easy it is to swap the dashpod and ECU (30 mins) and the keys are not locked down by VAG so it would be possible to register the same keys to 2 ECUs I'd be surprised if someone hadn't done it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wja96 said:

Mine is currently SORN because the cost of insuring and taxing it exceeds its 'book' value. On the first loss, least loss principle I should just go the scrapyard and tell them to come and take it away. 

Mileage is so critical to the value in the UK. Condition and servicing should be the deciding factors but people seem obsessed with low mileage cars. It's incredible how people will chip-in to a thread about a 10 year old car with 22,000 miles on the clock saying things like "that'll be just like new" when it's probably got just as many paint scratches and dents as a car with 5 or 6 times the mileage or even worse, the dealer has "smart-repaired" it so it looks perfect. The assumptions people make about low mileage are genuinely scary. And that's assuming it's not been clocked. I have the ECU and dashpod from a 16,000 mile vRS. That's an easy swap except obviously the MOTs would show the truth :)

But if you were cunning and kept putting that dashpod and ECU in for every MOT it would be pretty easy to clock a vRS in reality. Given how easy it is to swap the dashpod and ECU (30 mins) and the keys are not locked down by VAG so it would be possible to register the same keys to 2 ECUs I'd be surprised if someone hadn't done it. 

Interesting comments.  I've still not bought one. In two minds these days as a lot have been tampered with a fair bit.  Not too sure what else would give the same or better value in terms of quality, performance etc that may be slightly newer and less played about with. 

4 hours ago, BBiZ said:

Interesting comments.  I've still not bought one. In two minds these days as a lot have been tampered with a fair bit.  Not too sure what else would give the same or better value in terms of quality, performance etc that may be slightly newer and less played about with. 

While I am quite certain that someone has clocked a vRS, definitely don't let me put you off getting one. They are great cars. Yes, many have been messed about with and you need to be aware of that. The big issue is that they are all just old. And no matter how well built they were, as cars get older people love them less and are a bit less likely to get everything fixed. Just keep looking and you'll find the right one for you soon enough.

• 8 months later...

Took my 06 102,000 miles black vrs to the car wash today, my wife has driven it for the last 3 years since I got a load lugging Octavia estate. As I pressed the accelerator it brought a smile to my face, runs like a sewing machine, looks iconic amongst newer vehicles and is a joy to drive, easily the best car I have ever owned in terms of fun, reliability and cheapness to run. Bought it at 1 year old with 12,000 on the clock and it has been a joy to drive ever since, have only had to buy new calipers, rear bearings, front bushes, two batteries and three timing belt/water pump assemblies. I wouldn't get much if I sold it but its worth more to me as a reliable vehicle, I should get another 120,000 miles out of it easily with regular servicing and oil changes. By the way, due to speed restrictions on the A9 60mph I get over 60mpg using cruise control. I believe the Mk1 vrs will be an iconic car and well worth passing onto your heirs, the LE's are fetching stupid prices already when you consider their price new.

• Like 2

Funny you say this, i had one for 8 years loved it and owned a smart bmw too at the time which was only 3 years old we sold the bmw and kept the fabia. 

Sold the fabia last year and regretted selling it since the day I sold it. 

Picked up one this week and driving back like you say you can’t beat the torque it’s got. I love it yes it’s getting on but looked after there good. This one I bought is 54 plate guy owned from new! And only 94 thousand miles . Paid £1500 for it. Don’t plan on selling this one.

Gave mine a facelift last year, new badges and number plates, scratch repair and T cut, powder coated the wheels and shampooed the seats, looks like a new car. You are lucky to have no rust, my engine bay and sills are beginning to show signs.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

I apologise if this against forum policy but (content removed)

You need be a freedom member of some sorts to advertise on here. Expect this post to disappear. 

Edited by john999boy
Non freedom quote

58 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

I apologise if this against forum policy but (content removed)

You're not the guy I see driving around G'boro are you? 

Edited by john999boy
Non freedom quote

3 hours ago, jars said:

You need be a freedom member of some sorts to advertise on here. Expect this post to disappear. 

That's fair enough I thought as much. I wasn't taking the micky but the car is really nice and an enthusiast would love it. Too nice just to sell on.

Not me in Guisborough Penguin. To the administrators. Apologies.

21 hours ago, Troyboy said:

That's fair enough I thought as much. I wasn't taking the micky but the car is really nice and an enthusiast would love it. Too nice just to sell on.

Not me in Guisborough Penguin. To the administrators. Apologies.

Ah ok, thanks.  There's a lovely LE I often see around here.  It's obviously someones pride and joy and has a private plate.