Road Noise Skoda Superb Mk 3

Anyone experiencing annoying road noise in new model Skoda Superb> On 17" wheels  -  Continentals, and very annoying, have checked and louder in drivers seat. (500 miles so far) Just replaced  a 17" wheeled MK 2 Combi , and was significantly quieter 

Anyone experiencing annoying road noise in new model Skoda Superb> On 17" wheels - Continentals, and very annoying, have checked and louder in drivers seat. (500 miles so far) Just replaced a 17" wheeled MK 2 Combi , and was significantly quieter

I had it for its first 6/700 miles. Still a bit of engine "drone" by the road noise has settled down. Not sure if the tyres have worn in a bit or whether the engine noise has just quietened down a bit.

I think it's the Conti tyres that are the problem tbh. Same on the SE business I test drove. Pretty quiet in the cabin otherwise which maybe exaggerates things. I imagine on a good road they're near silent but on worn surfaces they roar.

Yeh I would agree it's worse than my previous ibiza St on worn surfaces and that had basically no sound deadening smooth surfaces are fine for me and way less wind noise than any car I have ever owned not to mention a nice ride on the motorway. I think with a lease car I would have to fit oem does anyone know for sure? Or if there is an alternative that is also fitted can't imagine they only use one manufacturer... mine is on 17 inch wheels

I think with a lease car I would have to fit oem does anyone know for sure? Or if there is an alternative that is also fitted can't imagine they only use one manufacturer... mine is on 17 inch wheels

No, I think you can fit whatever you like. I am looking at a lease from Skoda and all they asked for was get it serviced at a Skoda garage and fit (any) tyres.

I had similar noise issues with conti premium contact before, very surface dependent regarding noise.

Whereas I've found symmetrical tread patterns tend to sound similar on all surfaces.

In my current Superb II Combi I experienced a lot of noise with the previous tyres, Continental by the way. When they were replaced by Dunlop, the noise decreased a lot. And they are 18", so in this case I'd bet for tyre manufacturer as being responsible for the noise.

Had the same problem on my Superb II Combi, the Continental Sport Contact tyres were shocking for road noise, They've put Michelin on my Current Superb which are far quieter & they are on 18's!

• Like 2

Had the same problem on my Superb II Combi, the Continental Sport Contact tyres were shocking for road noise, They've put Michelin on my Current Superb which are far quieter & they are on 18's!

Agreed, the 18" Conti Sport Contact 2's on my Mk 2 elegance were far too noisy. I replaced then before they were worn out with Goodyear EfficientGrips & 'tis much quieter, 

I can now hear engine noise at cruising speeds! 

Skoda do seem to save a bob or two with their O.E Tyres.

DC

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

My Suprb 3 SE L at 400 miles has an irritating noise, related to the road speed, coming from the front O/S wheel.  I don't think it is tyre noise but sounds more like the stone guard, behind the disc, resonating.

The car is on 18" Continentals.  On really smooth, low noise, tarmac the noise decreases sigificantly.

• 1 year later...

The road noise, particularly from the rear of my 2016 L&K Superb Combi is one of the greatest frustrations that I have with the vehicle.  I drove a new Merc 220d the other week and the difference was night and day despite the the German car having the same size of wheels and tyres on run flats! (235/35/90). Is it just that Skoda don’t fit enough sound deadening to the rear of the car and use lighter steel to save weight?  I am considering fitting a sound deadening kit to the car. It’s either that or save up for a Mercedes!

Whilst I’m having a bit of a moan, I’m not too fond of the jerky take up from rest of the DSG gearbox when manoeuvering (it’s not a patch on the slush box in my 16 year old Jag XJ8), the fact that Android Auto freezes when I take or make a call (I accept that could be an issue with my Samsung phone) and the fact that the DPF cleaning programme seems to feel the need to run every week, even occasionally after getting off the motorway following a long, high speed drive!!!  All of these issues have been reported at service, but surprise, surprise, it’s all running within normal parameters apparently.

On the plus side, it’s not gone wrong yet, but I can’t claim to have much affection for the car and must profess to being quite disappointed with it overall.  Seriously looking at other options two years earlier than I had planned to.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

the problem seems to be that Skoda simply don't fit enough sound deadening/ damping and they fit mediocre supension.

to a greater or lesser extent this affects the Superb and Octavia ( Octavia is worse in my experience )

how this manifests itself in practice is that tyre choice is critical, as they car simply amplifies the noise from all but the quietest tyres, and similarly amplifies the noise from rough roads.

the large boot just acts as a giant speaker

lining the spare wheel well and boot area with bitumen pads etc is easy to do and helps a bit, but ultimately a full strip down to line the wheel arches, and fitting quieter  tyres ( sub 68db ) will have a greater effect I reckon.

the other issue that causes noise is too much negative camber from the factory which causes the rear tyres to scrub on the insides and results in what sounds like a wheel bearing noise from the rear. Not sure if it affects Superbs to the same extent but it affects all MQB cars to a greater or lesser extent 

i test drove a new Volvo V60 yesterday, and it was light years ahead of any Octavia or Superb in terms of refinement, and it sits in the same price bracket as the higher trim lines of the superb, so Skoda really should do better.

Edited by carrock
  • Like 2

On 23/09/2018 at 20:07, carrock said:

the problem seems to be that Skoda simply don't fit enough sound deadening/ damping and they fit mediocre supension.

to a greater or lesser extent this affects the Superb and Octavia ( Octavia is worse in my experience )

how this manifests itself in practice is that tyre choice is critical, as they car simply amplifies the noise from all but the quietest tyres, and similarly amplifies the noise from rough roads.

the large boot just acts as a giant speaker

lining the spare wheel well and boot area with bitumen pads etc is easy to do and helps a bit, but ultimately a full strip down to line the wheel arches, and fitting quieter  tyres ( sub 68db ) will have a greater effect I reckon.

the other issue that causes noise is too much negative camber from the factory which causes the rear tyres to scrub on the insides and results in what sounds like a wheel bearing noise from the rear. Not sure if it affects Superbs to the same extent but it affects all MQB cars to a greater or lesser extent 

i test drove a new Volvo V60 yesterday, and it was light years ahead of any Octavia or Superb in terms of refinement, and it sits in the same price bracket as the higher trim lines of the superb, so Skoda really should do better.

Interesting. I came from a Volvo S60 and the Superb is and always has been quieter. It's now much quieter now I've got rid of the Pirelli P7's and had Hankooks fitted.

11 hours ago, El Dingo said:

Interesting. I came from a Volvo S60 and the Superb is and always has been quieter. It's now much quieter now I've got rid of the Pirelli P7's and had Hankooks fitted.

I accept what you are saying, however

• The V60 I tried was brand new  2019 MY and is much better than the old edition- it was on 17 inch wheels so less road noise
  • My Octavia VRS is on 18 inches
  • The Superb Sportline I drove was on 19 inches

It seemed like there was less wind noise, and more insulation on the door panels of the Volvo- I just think Skoda have to use a lot less insulation for marketing reasons than the equivalent Passat/A4 etc.

17 minutes ago, carrock said:

I just think Skoda have to use a lot less insulation for marketing reasons than the equivalent Passat/A4 etc.

Bear in mind it's difficult for Skoda as they rummage through the VW waste bin looking for bits of felt and stuff thrown out that they can use. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, carrock said:

I accept what you are saying, however

• The V60 I tried was brand new  2019 MY and is much better than the old edition- it was on 17 inch wheels so less road noise
  • My Octavia VRS is on 18 inches
  • The Superb Sportline I drove was on 19 inches

It seemed like there was less wind noise, and more insulation on the door panels of the Volvo- I just think Skoda have to use a lot less insulation for marketing reasons than the equivalent Passat/A4 etc.

Yes, that makes sense. I haven't driven the new model Volvo.

Out of interest, is the Octavia noisier than the Superb? 

yes octavia noticeably noisier than the superb. I am considering a Sportline Superb when my VRS goes off lease but also looking at Volvo V60 and Audi A4

i have fitted extra insulation in the boot area and under the bonnet and back seat but the doors need done and it's a real pain apparently. Just wish skoda would fit more at the factory

I had an Octavia VRS on an 08 plate and did the whole sound insulation job including the boot, wheel arches and doors, got rid of the awful stock stereo (fitted JVC double DIN) and speakers (Clarion), sub woofer in the corner of the boot... Improved what had been a noisy, poorly insulated car. Still, the biggest improvement I made was changing the Michelin's for Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's.

When I chose the Superb I was really bothered by my experience with the Octavia, hence the question. I'm sure that the newer version Octavia is much better and had the Superb been anything like the old Octavia I wouldn't have gone near it.