VRS Service query

Hi

I have owned my VRS since October and requested the flex service schedule as I do about 25k a year. My dash has flashed up that I need an oil service in 1700 miles? I have done nearly 8k already. I have attached a photo from the service menu. Is this correct as I thought my first service would be around 20k miles.

Thanks

6d5a03ea21e8e8ba6c675bcf321ab514.jpg

Hi, it would appear your car has decided it likes the 15000Km (9400 mile) oil change interval. I would quiz your dealer, obviously it won't hurt the engine to get the oil changed soon.

If you had the car from new then I think the dealer has made a mistake.

The first oïl change & inspection should occur at the same time: 30k km or 730 days from new.

On variable service it's up 20k between services. So if the car thinks you need a service sooner it will let you know.

Depending on driving pattern etc.

Still worth checking with the dealer

Just to add to this confusion. My 64 plate VRS is on variable service, and is indicating the correct mileage and time to it's first service. Last August I got a phone call from my Skoda dealer asking if I wanted to book my car in for it's first service as they said it was due in September 2014. I pointed out the car was on variable service, they double checked their system and said, "Oh yes so it is, sorry to bother you."

Left hand right hand anyone?

I have to admit that despite (normally) doing very thorough research before I order a car, I overlooked the fact that I have a choice between fixed and variable service intervals.

I reckon variable servicing would work best for me so how do I choose it? Do I just tell the dealer when collecting the car or is there more to it?

Edited by Dave2912

Cars leave factory with long life variable service oil. But dealers usually do set to fixed. This time mine came with 3 years free service so left at fixed.

It should be set at PDI, depending on your expected driving requirements. I think the switch point is something like 12-15k/year?

I'll be doing 10-12k per year, about 2/3 of that on a fairly gentle motorway commute to work. I thought variable would be best but I'm not really sure why tbh...

My Z4 was on condition based servicing and went >17k miles before it started counting down to a service.

I'll be doing 10-12k per year, about 2/3 of that on a fairly gentle motorway commute to work. I thought variable would be best but I'm not really sure why tbh...

My Z4 was on condition based servicing and went >17k miles before it started counting down to a service.

Are you intending keeping the car long term?

If not, go with variable.

If it is a keeper, go for fixed for the sake of the turbo :)

Are you intending keeping the car long term?

If not, go with variable.

If it is a keeper, go for fixed for the sake of the turbo :)

Thanks for the advice Andy. Never kept a car for longer than 2.5 years so I'll plump for variable. Cheers!