Cruise control surprise

the CC on the vRS is a little different to the system I had previously been used to in my VW touran - using it if you tapped the brake or dipped the clutch (changed gear) it disengaged. The vRS cruise doesn't disengage if you change gear, which gave me a bit of a moment on a motorway offslip when i changed down from 6>4 and the car started accelerating again :). tapping the brake seems to be the way to go

also noticed when cruise is engaged clicking the rocker switch on the end of the stalk changes the cruise control set speed either +1 or -1 mph which is useful

Its all in the manual, but tapping the brakes isn't the only way of disengaging the cruise control. You can push the lever on the top of the cruise control stalk towards the off position but not until it clicks. I think its labelled cancel or something.

The adjusting of the speed with the rocker switch is very useful :)

• Like 1

It looks like Skoda has now caught up with BMW then. Anyone know if the latest VW's also work this way? If only they'd implement the cruise control to stay at the same speed (auto brake) when you're travelling down a hill too - or have they?

my Passat acts that way which is as you say a bit of a surprise when used to the other method. My Yeti disengages once the gear is changed.

If only they'd implement the cruise control to stay at the same speed (auto brake) when you're travelling down a hill too - or have they?

I haven't experienced it myself but owners of the new Superb with ACC say it does auto brake for you when going down hill so it doesn't exceed the set speed.

If it isn't on the Octavia already maybe it will be soon, who knows.

Edited by cnc

My mk7 Golf with ACC brakes for you. It also has a speed limiter function...does nothing more than to stop you going over the set speed...the lovely thing is the car brakes for you also if retarding the ignition isnt enough to slow your momentum.

I gather Skodas with ACC sadly dont get the speed limiter function.

Octavia auto brakes too

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yep, and its brilliant.

We have an undersea tunnel here with average speed cams, and the ACC really helps as its quite steep in both ends.

• Like 1

Also noticed when cruise is engaged clicking the rocker switch on the end of the stalk changes the cruise control set speed either +1 or -1 mph which is useful

Did the VW Touran not do this?

My 2008 MkII Octavia does...

When I found I could change gear with my manual box and not have to reset the CC I thought that was a brilliant improvement on the previous version.

The lack of speed limiting down hill was not real problem in my former diesel mk2 because the engine provided plenty of engine braking.

The current 1.4tsi seems almost frictionless by comparison and I have to use the brakes much more frequently than I used to on any reasonable downhill.

It is not really a complaint just an observation as I like the simplicity of the CC system and not sure I would appreciate (or totally trust) the ACC certainly not at the price we have to pay for it.

I tested one not long ago and found it strange, I'm so used to the CC going off when you dip the clutch. I liked being able to dip the clutch rather than tapping my brake, the brake light often causes a ripple effect to the following traffic especially on the motorway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have only CC it doesn't brake if you are exceeding the set-speed (going down a hil for example) or at least the 2014 model didnt do this.

Braking to keep to the set-speed only happens when you have ACC

Both maintain cruise control during a gear changes (provided the change is complete within a certain time).

This is pretty standard now across most manufacturers I think.

Its pretty annoying on the VAGs that the easiest way to cancel cruise is by tapping the brake pedal, leading to the next 10 tail-gaters braking as well.

If they'd only move the standard controls to the steering wheel or at leat an individual stalk like for ACC.

I find just flicking the lever on the top of the stalk to the "Cancel" position (spring return) works fine for me (but I have a DSG, so no clutch to disengage).

Pretty sure (as has been said above) that only cars with Adaptive Cruise auto-brake to maintain speed going downhill.

• Like 2

I have a 2.0TDi with DSG and standard cruise control and although it doesn't brake down hills it does change down automatically to increase engine braking to minimise any risk of exceeding the set speed. My previous auto cars didn't do this and were always desperate to get into top gear at the earliest opportunity and would almost run away down steep hills.

My mk7 Golf with ACC brakes for you. It also has a speed limiter function...does nothing more than to stop you going over the set speed...the lovely thing is the car brakes for you also if retarding the ignition isnt enough to slow your momentum.

Right.

I had a speed limiter on my Avensis and it was very useful at times when you were not sure of the area and knew there were a few speed camera's about. You knew you were not going to stray over the limit by accident.

I find just flicking the lever on the top of the stalk to the "Cancel" position (spring return) works fine for me (but I have a DSG, so no clutch to disengage).

I find that switch quite stiff and fiddly to operate without accidentally indicating. On the other hand I don't want to tap the brakes for obvious reasons.

Pretty sure (as has been said above) that only cars with Adaptive Cruise auto-brake to maintain speed going downhill.

It's because ACC needs to be able to brake to cope with slowing traffic, which is the whole point of ACC. I wouldn't want the standard CC to brake going downhill as that would be a waste of fuel. However I'm not likely to use CC on the sort of roads that have hills steep enough to require more than just engine braking anyway.
  • Like 1

Right.

I had a speed limiter on my Avensis and it was very useful at times when you were not sure of the area and knew there were a few speed camera's about. You knew you were not going to stray over the limit by accident.

Its a strange omission isnt it...particularly when some of the higher spec Fabias without CC even have the speed limiter function.....TBF though not sure they have a braking function like cars with ACC.

Like you say v useful on journeys where you dont know the roads.

Edited by pipsypreturns

Mine with ACC brakes on hills/set speed, same as the golf.

I find it very odd that Skoda don't include the braking with standard CC as the functionality is obviously there. BMW include braking as standard in all their CC now on the 3 series.

Mine with ACC brakes on hills/set speed, same as the golf.

I find it very odd that Skoda don't include the braking with standard CC as the functionality is obviously there. BMW include braking as standard in all their CC now on the 3 series.

Sorry Stu...I mean that ACC equipped Octavias (or Superbs for that matter) dont get the speed limiter function the Golfs get. On mine I can set a certain speed, drive as normal and as soon as I reach that speed the car goes no faster...the car retarding the ignition or using the brakes to keep to that speed if it has to.

Other cars have it of course...just find it strange the Skodas dont seem to get this 2nd mode with ACC....I guess the VW's have to have some special features?

I agree also...dont know why the standard VAG cruise cant be configured to auto brake when the car steps over the set threshold...unless the brake control hardware only exists when the ACC module is fitted?

Sorry Stu...I mean that ACC equipped Octavias (or Superbs for that matter) dont get the speed limiter function the Golfs get. On mine I can set a certain speed, drive as normal and as soon as I reach that speed the car goes no faster...the car retarding the ignition or using the brakes to keep to that speed if it has to.

Other cars have it of course...just find it strange the Skodas dont seem to get this 2nd mode with ACC....I guess the VW's have to have some special features?

I agree also...dont know why the standard VAG cruise cant be configured to auto brake when the car steps over the set threshold...unless the brake control hardware only exists when the ACC module is fitted?

Ah sorry, my mistake :)

I thought you were talking about the speed in ACC.  Didn't realise the Golfs had a speed limiter available.

I think it's the same old thing: VW cars have to have a few extra bits over their Skoda equivalents to justify the badge and the price. There has to be a tangible difference in quality and equipment, however small it may be. It's that whole 'surprise and delight' silliness. 

For example, the Mk3 Superb (annoyingly) doesn't have the option of full LED headlights, yet the Leon and Passat do. 

• Like 1