Amundsen - GPS Speed Display?

Citigopher

Have you tried ticking the box marked "use an alternative bt audio connection ...." under "advanced" in bluetooth settings?

I was hoping that you may have got it there. I had to do a hard reset on my phone (a Lumia 920, on 8.1) a month or two back as I was having problems with the phone getting hot. When I restored, it seems that the setting you mention isn't actually restored. However, tried it again in the Yeti today and.......

no joy :no: . Still just the four buttons displayed across the bottom of the Amundsen screen (not five). Do you think it would be worth deleting the existing pairing and setting up a new one?

Edited by Citigopher

I know it is very confusing and at times completely wrong but the Skoda phone compatibility checker although showing lots of Lumia phones does not include the Lumia 920.

I know it is very confusing and at times completely wrong but the Skoda phone compatibility checker although showing lots of Lumia phones does not include the Lumia 920.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Can you post a link?

Many thanks. So it looks like I'm out of luck; the Lumia 920 is listed, but isn't compatible for text messaging. Trying a random selection of other reasonably current phones, it seems that is also the case for quite a few of them. I'm looking to change my phone to a Lumia 950 XL shortly. Unfortunately, that's not listed!

I didn't bother with the VIN - just picked the model (& build date after May 2015), then picked the only option for the head unit (Bolero). Should be close enough as the handbook for it and the Amundsen II are shared and most of the operating instructions are the same.

Out of interest, I tried to check out compatibility with our Citigo. It just says "Model is not manufactured with an MIB infotainment system". Which is ironic, as my phone works very nicely with the PID in the Citigo.....

Edited by Citigopher

• 8 months later...

So - I've now had an Android phone for a while (LG G4) and the Amundsen will display my texts, but it doesn't give an audible notification of a text being received, nor does it appear to offer the option of reading the text to me via voice control. Is this possible, for any phone?

So - I've now had an Android phone for a while (LG G4) and the Amundsen will display my texts, but it doesn't give an audible notification of a text being received, nor does it appear to offer the option of reading the text to me via voice control. Is this possible, for any phone?

Yes, but it works through having the appropriate app on the phone. In the case of my Moto X phone, that's the Moto app, so-called.  I don't know what's available for the G4.

Reading a text by voice control does not appear in list of possible commands.

post-82505-0-15257200-1481109763_thumb.jpg

Reading a text by voice control does not appear in list of possible commands.

Which is, for an expensive piece of kit like the Amundsen, pretty crap I'd say. On the lowly PID in our Citigo, "it just worked", to coin the phrase. I didn't have to do anything with settings on my old Nokia 920 - just hooked it up by bluetooth and the next thing I knew I had a voice telling me I'd received a text and did she want me to read it to me? I can even dictate reply texts on the PID (which gives rise to some fairly humorous interpretations, it must be said  :notme:  :no: :D )

@mumpsim - I'll have a look in Play store to see what I can find. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Citigopher

Yes, but it works through having the appropriate app on the phone. In the case of my Moto X phone, that's the Moto app, so-called.  I don't know what's available for the G4.

What is the app called please?

I repeat: the app that works on my phone is called Moto. I do not know what similar apps might work on the LG G4, if they exist.

The only app in the Play Store called Moto on my Motorola is a motorcycle throttle game.

The only app in the Play Store called Moto on my Motorola is a motorcycle throttle game.

If it does not appear when you use the Play Store app on your phone, that means it is not compatible with your phone.  That's not surprising, since it is for Moto phones, not Motorolas.  The name Motorola is no longer used as a phone brand, only as a company name.

If you visit this link to the Play Store using a web browser (not the Play Store app on your phone) you should see the app does exist:

I might give this one ("Agent") a try:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/511599-what-app-good-reading-sms-me-while-i-m-driving.html

as it makes specific mention of its Moto-like abilities. mumpsim - as the Moto suite of apps only works on Moto phones and Moto phones were all sprung from the original Motorola brand, your assertion is a little pedantic. I had a "Hello Moto" suite on my old Motorola phone.

I might give this one ("Agent") a try:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/511599-what-app-good-reading-sms-me-while-i-m-driving.html

as it makes specific mention of its Moto-like abilities. mumpsim - as the Moto suite of apps only works on Moto phones and Moto phones were all sprung from the original Motorola brand,

I'll try that too.

Even though I have a Moto G 2nd gen phone the Moto app looks like it's just Moto X compatable.

Edit: Cannot see Agent App in the Google Store either but reading down further in the above link the Motorolla Assist App looks to be the same and it's already on my phone from new!

Have activated it and it looks exactly what I'm looking for.

Edited by Urrell

On a first try the Motorola Assist App does not integrate with voice but does give a good "bong" when a text is received so that's an improvement.