Mk III Octavia Estate - Design flaw niggles vs. Mk II

I can see the attraction of the steering wheel system though - I'm just experiencing my very first interactive steering wheel and can already see the safety aspect of not having to take my hand off the wheel to advance the music system to the next record.  I also love the way you can make a call once you have the regular numbers set up.  I did a long trip last Friday and came close to getting caught up in the road chaos that was the UK last Friday - I don't often make calls, but did that night to get hold of someone with a PC that could check the highways website for the best way around the hold-ups and couldn't get over how easy and how much safer it had suddenly become to be able to route it through the blue toothed phone and steering wheel controls.  I do get on well with the cruise controls on that stalk though - they are just nicely placed under my fingers.  The trouble is that I'm getting used to all these 'toys' and will now want them on all future cars!

Edited by OctaviaJo

Both my Mondeo and 5-series had the controls on the wheel. Far superior configuration IMO. My wifes Corsa has it on the stalk too, but you twist the end of the stalk instead of the tiny, fiddly buttons on the Octavia.

I'm sure it's a habbit thing, maybe I'll get used to it.

Also not a fan of the stalk. Particularly the "cancel" button which is just useless imo. If I knew what I know now I would have got the AAC which moves all the cruise control buttons to its own dedicated stalk.

If I knew what I know now I would have got the AAC which moves all the cruise control buttons to its own dedicated stalk.

Didn't know that. If I did, I too would probably have added the adaptive version. My dealer basically told me it is pretty poor in his experience, often reacting to cars in other lanes etc. So I skipped it.

Edited by Malakim
  • Like 1

Didn't know that. If I did, I too would probably have added the adaptive version. My dealer basically told me it is pretty poor in his experience, often reacting to cars in other lanes etc. So I skipped it.

Yeah figured that I had been happy to control CC from the right side of the steering wheel (where it was super handy and had a big cancel button) so didn't need ACC. Should have spent longer test driving it!

As another former MKII estate owner, I have to say that on balance I do prefer the boot layout of the MKIII. This is almost entirely down to the versatility of the latest Variable Boot Floor, and the fact that you can move to the full height boot without having to remove anything (and leave it behind). The ability to store roof bars (even cheap Lidl ones fit perfectly) and the load cover under the VBF is also very useful when your needs change on different legs of a journey.

I too missed the storage box under the load cover, so much so that I almost immediately bought the 'multifunction box' http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/375868-octavia-estate-multifunction-box/

The removable panels in either side of the boot that my Elegance MKII had were useful for storing spare bulbs/de-icer etc but I have now got all of this stuff in a plastic storage box that (just) fits under the VBF. The ability to easily change the VBF does mean that I carry less accumulated junk underneath which is probably a good thing.

Moving away from the boot, I also really missed the lidded storage box that was under the front passenger seat in the MKII, and have recently fitted both driver and passenger side boxes from Superskoda to replace the almost useless hi-viz jacket holders.

As for other niggles - the ability to tip up or completely remove the rear seat bases was a great MKII feature that is missing from the MKIII.

• Like 1

This isn't Skoda's fault. This is because you drive on the wrong side. Most Fords are also on the LHS on RHD cars.

I would disagree, It is Skodas fault, my 2011 SEAT Leon FR170DSG, had the bonnet release on the correct side.

The car also came with decent headlights, unlike the candle powered halogen headlights fitted to the Ovtavia 3!

So the boot floor on the MkII estate is vastly different to that of the MkII? Shame, I was hoping to use my MkII boot mat in the MkIII when it arrives...

I used to have a MkII VRS estate and now have a MkIII Elegance estate. My OEM heavy duty rubber boot mat fits my MkIII :) I was going to sell it but figured it was worth trying. Its not perfect (its a little short at either side) but it does the job. Shout if you'd like a picture..

Edited by Ciderspace

Thanks Ciderspace, the sale of my MkII happened a little quicker than I expected so unfortunately the old mat has to go with the car.

Looks like I'll be buying a new one for the MkIII. Thanks for the help though!

Alpha2110 - Ah, so they all have a notchy gearbox do they? I'd noticed that, but assumed it was because I'd got out of a MkII that had done 93K into a MKIII that had done 11K!! I imagine by about 20K I'll have rounded things off at bit ;-) Mine has got Dunlop Sportmaxx RT 225/45Z R17's fitted - I don't know if that is what they come with as standard (or even how good they are, but I recognise Dunlop as a brand) or if they are replacements.

My gearbox is awful when cold, 1 to 2 shift is the worst. And the continental eco 5 are the loudest tyre I have ever owned.

Apart from this it's a lovely car

Edited by Alpha2110

I haven't noticed a problem with the radio and I am unlikely to find one as I listen to MP3's for about 98% of the time in the car unless I am searching for info on a traffic jam.   There seems dozens of DAB radio stations to tune into though and I have set some of them up in case I need them.  Alpha2110 you need a set of Dunlop Sportmaxx's that's what came on my new second-hand one and they are great - as I came home tonight I was thinking - "sod any expense I'm having these again when they finally wear out" - really quiet on the road and they seem to have great road handling.

ccsdigital - I'm interested in these side boxes you describe purchasing - I've looked at the superskoda website, but don't know what I'm looking for description wise - can you help with a weblink please?

You also said:

As for other niggles - the ability to tip up or completely remove the rear seat bases was a great MKII feature that is missing from the MKIII.

I owned my Mk II Estate for 5 years and never discovered you could do this! LOL

I really want a decent of rubber car mats though - the dealer only put in carpet ones and the sort of life my car leads it def. needs a set of rubber mats - I feel a birthday present list starting to accumulate.

However, niggles apart I've now done 2 x 230 mile journeys and 2 x 100 mile journeys in it since getting it last Thursday and I am now starting to smile.  I don't care if it is 6 insurance groups higher that 2 litre TDI diesel goes like a train.  It might not be the VRS - which I did have a play with, but its still really good fun to drive.  I feel rather bad about becoming a bit 'boys toys' girl, but I will confess to enjoying all the various gadgets its come with.  I like this multi-function steering wheel (its my first multi-function steering wheel) - so much safer for the music and phone, the KESSY system is rather fun and neat - but I see it as a pure fun gadget rather than a must have - I think I could easily go back to a key system.  The last car showed me that cruise control was a 'must have' as is a self dipping (green LCD filter) interior rear view mirror.  The intelligent Xenon's are great - again probably not 'must haves', but they are really clever in the way they work and I'd certainly consider them on another car.  I am also a convert to these Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres too - I've never had really expensive rubber on a car, but I shall have them again.  All in all I'm glad I went with another Skoda :-D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Good thread - I'm not nuts!

- Boot side dividers - for the love of god - you only miss them when they are gone!

- The tiny wing mirrors, big gap to the body and weird blind spots!

- Inferior sound system audio quality it is true

- Not noticed the cruise control but I keep pressing the source select by accident on the steering wheel - argh - and AM is just noise - argh!