Exhausts

Properly explore the 280's potential and then say it's not fast (if you really still believe it). I learned that lesson: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/363781-the-280ps-thread/page-17

I've read that post,but this isn't Germany.

How / where can I "explore the 280's potential" in a test drive from a UK dealer?

Scooting away from a stop-light, yes probably, straight-line speed, not really. 

DC

The speed limit is 70. Buy whatever car gets you to that speed within the particular number of seconds that pleases you.

We did just that, albeit I've no idea just how long it takes / took, (SWMBO'S vRS is sold, she' s borrowing one of mine until the replacement arrives.)

They all seemed to be quite nippy, but with 250 ps / 270 nM, & FWD, the initial acceleration has to be restrained. According to the manufacturer

they can all exceed 140, & get to 62 under 8 seconds in ex-factory tune, the remaps might improve a little on those figures.

As for hi-speed driving, as you say there is a 70 limit (enforced mit cameras in this part of the world) + slightly higher limits in continental Europe.

Since to halve your journey time requires that your average speed has to double, seriously fast driving is probably a waste of money, unless your time is

seriously valuable. 

So, I'm happy to cruise at 80 or so, unless in Germany where that's sometimes too slow. I'm certain that whatever car we buy next will never be "maxed out"

anywhere, but they will be expected to scoot as & when required.

DC

I think that I must be, I'm sure that something can be arranged; my Brother has an Octavia VRS 220PS DSG and although I'm still getting used to mine his does feel quicker and more dynamic, maybe its gear ratios or final drive ratios or maybe I'm not pushing the loud peddle hard enough lol.

I'm sure I'll learn to drive it soon!

There are real gearing differences between the 6-speed DSG's in different cars, & maybe you can take note of the differences between your cars. 

FWIW, my Superb is making 77 mph @3k rpm in 6th, (as did SWMBO's vRS), whereas my EOS makes 80 mph @ 3k rpm in 5th, & 95 mph in 6th!

(I wasn't driving, of course,she owns the lead boots, not me!)

Even sillier, the short-geared Skoda is more economical, at least at UK speeds, probably 'cos the EOS won't shift into 6th under 50 mph, & stays in the lower

ratios in town driving.

DC

• 2 months later...

Here's the new changes in my TSI 2.0

Exhaust is original from 206KW motor.

We made some changes, but now the same as the original.

imag0298.jpg

imag0300.jpg

imag0297.jpg

imag0304.jpg

@Okapi

"crazy" Man!!! :)

i had also a plan add pipes from the 280ps to my 220ps,

but braked by both legs when got price - 700+€ for each side :(

In Poland, there is a company who are fitting the ends only to the oem 220 PS exhaust by welding. Total cost is around 250 EUR with material and assembly. If you want contact details just let me know. It looks at the end as 280 exhaust, however it's only differend ends.

Edited by Enriquez
  • Like 3

It's 2 company's

1. Most famous in PL - specialzed in custom made SS exhausts, but they say that could do the S3 trims for 1500 PLN = c.a. 250 GBP/pair (not sure if with assembly or not)

http://mgmotorsport.pl/

2. Local small supplier - they also make a customs trims - price 1000 PLN = c.a. 167 GBP/pair with assembly.

http://www.tlumikisportowe.com/19,koncowka-na-wymiar!.html

here is the sample what they are doing, let's say "universal" for just 170 PLN = 60 GPB

koncowka-zz245x.jpg

Both companies recommended by many people. I just wait to decide between just Sportline solution or trims as above.

In case of communication problem, just let me know.

Edited by Enriquez
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Superskoda have now included the Sportline rear diffuser and chrome trims.

Škoda want €443,

Superskoda are offering it for €249.99 and have a 20% off sale starting tomorrow, making it just under €200 + postage (€9.99)

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-original-Skoda-rear-bumper-diffusor-SPORT-LINE-full-set-assambled

• Like 4

Mine was dispatched yesterday.

Suoperskoda charge €4.99 postage for orders over €200 (€9.99 for orders under €200) so I also ordered a spare battery for my remote (@ €1.99) so actually making the order €3 cheaper than by ordering just the diffuser.

Just my five pennies, but why cannot Skoda integrate the exhausts into rear bumper, like Passat or Mondeo or most of the others do? In my opinion the present solution looks pretty awful.

• Like 1

It would not have hurt to have visible pipes, although I think the style of the current diffuser would need to have been changed as round pipes on the OE diffuser looks a bit wrong IMO, 

Likewise just one (N/S in the UK) ‘280’ pipe for the other models would not look right (un-balanced), the TDi’s that use adblue cannot have twin pipes as the adblue tank is in the way) I do agree the 280 should be a bit different to the rest to make it stand out a bit more for those ‘in the know'.

I have been looking at possible solutions over the last year, not a fan of the dummy tailpipes either, they must either work or not be present IMO.

The Sportline adds what was needed to break the rear up a little, no they are not tailpipes, but importantly (to me at least) they do not look like them either.

Just my five pennies, but why cannot Skoda integrate the exhausts into rear bumper, like Passat or Mondeo or most of the others do? In my opinion the present solution looks pretty awful.

Most of the Passat’s do not have visible tailpipes either (just the top end... R Line models??)

Bit sure about the Mundano

Passat biturbo and 2,0 TSI upper segment has. Mondeo 200 and 240 PS has.

This is what 280 PS exhausts should look like:

VW-enthuellt-den-neuen-Passat-B8-2014-12

Mondeo has very elegant exhaust;

2015_Ford_Mondeo_Malaysia_-016.jpg

Edited by linni

But they need to be different as it’s a different marque, they all very similar in their shape (rectangle) but with a big enough difference to make them individual (similar to the rear lights on the Superb / Passat / A4)

Not sure about the petrol models in the UK, but certainly most of the Passat’s on our roads do not have them. 

(I also considered / looked at the Passat before ordering the Superb)

Passats with the 'R Line' Exterior pack have the twin exhausts. Just a cosmetic upgrade. VW doing a deal with R Line packs so plenty of them on our roads here, my buddy has one also & his is a 1.6TDi

Ordered my diffuser there :-)

Edited by Rebelred

• 1 month later...

Hi,

One question on this. There was somebody here who done a very interesting mod to the exhaust, adding visible tips - please see attached image.

I do not seem to recall who was the user that done this mod - and I would like to ask what tips were used. Were they Octavia 3 RS tips ? 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this

post-114612-0-73420000-1479979905_thumb.png

Thanks for the advice.

One last thing (as I want to get as close to OEM as possible): when time allows, could you please measure the dimensions of the OEM tips? There are some local manufacturers which do this "trapeze like" tips and I'm guessing that having the dimensions of the OEM would help me get close to the original with the manufactured one.

Did you also replace that plastic element (difuser style) that incorporated the parking sensors, with the TSI280 one, in order to make room for the tips ? 

Thanks in advance for you help.

BR.