My dash cam fitting

Great post with great pics but Which 10 amp fuse did you pull I have all the kit but not sure on which fuse to use.

It's the one in the bottom row in the 9th picture and is the same one I used. It may be numbered 47 and definitely controls the blind spot detection. It's the only practical one that I could find as the rest were either permanent live or I couldn't fit the piggy back plug in as it fouled other fuses.

I fastened all the gubbins behind the passenger side dashboard cover (accessible by opening the passenger door fully) and used the bolt in there as a grounding point.  You can see the bolt in the top-left of the picture.  In the top-right is a piece of rubber trim to stop the wire from the fuse box rubbing on the metal edge.

I also wrapped the wires with cloth tape to stop rattles.

post-6878-0-10185000-1459005317_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think I'd seen your picture before but didn't find it. I looked at the cover but left it alone for fear of breaking something!

As said it was the red 10 fuse between the blue 15 and miniature 5 on its side.

I'll add some sample video if its not too boring once I actually go somewhere in daylight and night time.

just a thought - there is some very lightweight felt stuff stuck to the back of the glovebox. wonder it that is supposed to suppress rattles but is too soft? Mine doesn't rattle but I've seen some complaints here.

Edited by RobertP
  • Like 1

Hi all

Managed to fit mine is pretty much the same way

Only problem I have is that the piggy back fuse I have does not fit

I have the rear window wiper which is 15amp and position 47 but there are relays either side, so cannot use this without bending fuses.

This is the only non perm powered fuse I know to use as used it in my old superb

There are loads of micro 10 amps fuses that I could use but have no idea which are switched on with the ignition and are not perm live?

I think I have the following options

Option 1 is to find a different type of piggy back fuse that fits, just been googling and they seem all the same unless anyone knows differently? If I could get one that was 2 to 3 mm taller I would be ok I think?

Option 2 would be to get a micro piggy back fuse and attach it one of these, can anyway advise what they have used and which ones are not perm feed. I do not have a multi meter and if I did I doubt I could work it lol

Thanks

Not sure I can help if your layout is different.

Mine is an estate and has a rear wiper. The fuse adaptor that came with the nextbase hardwire kit fitted with no problem. There was a micro size adaptor in the kit as well that I obviously haven't used.

• Like 1

The yellow fuse (or maybe a relay) in the bottom left corner has a metal surround and is stamped 'Audi'. The piggyback in my car pushes against that a little but not enough to dislodge it.

I planned to use the rear wiper fuse slot but couldn't but I can't quite recall why apart from it definitely fouled on another fuse.

Thanks

I have managed to work it out

Used fuse position 48 (blind spot detection) as this is a live on ignition and not used in my car

Works a treat now and there is space for a standard size piggy back fuse. As its one position further away than fuse 47 (rear wiper)

Comes on and off with the ignition as I wanted

Cheers

Hi leeboy

I didn't have blind spot detection fitted but the position had power when the ignition was switched on, so not permantley.

This was position 48 and this position gives you the space needed for the piggy back fuse

Will try and do a pic tomorrow

Hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you so much to RobertP for this great post. I've hardwired my Transcend dashcam today and this post and images was very useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

Used fuse position 48 (blind spot detection) as this is a live on ignition and not used in my car

Works a treat now and there is space for a standard size piggy back fuse. As its one position further away than fuse 47 (rear wiper)

Cheers

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by r08shaw

Ran the cable in the headlining using a spoon handle to help it in. Then it has to go round the pillar so just kept it as neat as I could.

dashcam-102.jpg

Down the bottom having flipped up the edge of the rubber trim to hold/hide the wire it just goes round to under the glove box.

dashcam-105.jpg

Good write up, my OCD would not me leave any visible cables though, fortunately both of these trims simply pull off (the pillar one only needs prising out slightly) so the cables can be tucked away out of sight.

Thanks. It's been a couple of months now. I've never had a dashcam before. So far I've not needed anything it has recorded and obviously hope it stays that way.

Yesterday on a 2 lane dual carriageway I was about to move back into the inside lane when a car leisurely pulled out of a lay by in front of me (no indicator) and more importantly in front of the lorry I had just passed. I avoided it easily but the lorry had to emergency stop - all of which I watched in the rear view mirror. Made me wish I had a rear facing camera to record it.

clip

YouTube has knocked the quality a fair bit.

So I may be looking at another camera fitting before too long.

Edited by RobertP

I intended to replace the suction mount with a self adhesive one but in 2 months it hasn't fallen off so for now I've left the suction mount. It is still on the dotted shaded area of the screen and obviously holds fine. It is quite small maybe 1 1/4" diameter.

I intended to replace the suction mount with a self adhesive one but in 2 months it hasn't fallen off so for now I've left the suction mount. It is still on the dotted shaded area of the screen and obviously holds fine. It is quite small maybe 1 1/4" diameter.

Thanks for your reply Robert.

Just fitted mine today. I transferred it from my old car in which I just had cables trailing, not particularly tidily, to the switched 12v outlet in the centre console. Now, thanks to the excellent posts in this thread, I fitted it properly in my new car in about 20 minutes, with barely any wires visible, and it goes on and off with the ignition as it should. Cheers guys!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Edited by grebble

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Cheers

HI, did you have the picture? I am going to do mine this weekend, just want to double check if everything is same as yours.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to add some more info to this thread.

It seems that the Blind Spot position loses power when Start/Stop turns the engine off.

On my camera, the loss in power triggers the camera to turn off.

I need to investigate if power is restored when the engine restarts, my guess is that it does. I've only noticed it a couple of times now when driving as it's not obvious.

The camera takes about 15 seconds to shut down totally so it could be that the power has been restored, but doesn't override the shutdown process.

Will post my findings.

R.