Yeti 4x4 testing the system

EvoT

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know how you can test the Haldex system is working so you know! that the Haldex has not developed a fault ? short of driving into a muddy field every 3 months to test it 'kicks in' and you don't sit there with the front wheels spinning and mud flying up the car sides!! It does seem very odd that there is no visual warnng light to advise you of a fault with the system such as pump failure in the Haldex

I mean if faults can be picked up on a workshop diagnostic tool why does'nt an owner have some form of warning ???? it would be of concern if I was thinking of buying a used 4x4 yeti from a dealer or a non Skoda dealer!!!!

I think that it is a bit short sighted of Skoda not to have some form of warning unless I am completley wrong about this? anyone any thoughts about this ?????

If it was a system that was either on or off then it would probably be simple to add a warning light that it was working, but it isn't simple, so how would you do it?

Do LR fit a light showing the 4x4 is working on any of their Haldex equipped vehicles? They certainly didn't on my Freelander's with a VCU, because there were no electronics involved.

In fact does any manufacturer do so, unless they have an electrically controlled diff-lock system?

Been suggested , find a sandy area, from stationary, gun it, if the fronts spin the rears should come in and maybe spin as well! - never tried it , but might work!

Given the complexity of the system to allow it to operate it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of the designers to provide a warning!

As said, if a diagnostic tool can identify a problem, then why not? Some sort of self-testing must be going on? Not just aimed at Skoda though, if that is the case.

Most folks, in everyday driving, wouldn't know if they have a problem and once they do it may be out of warranty. Perhaps that's why there isn't a warning! :notme:

Edited by VAGCF

Personally, I don't want a 'warning' that it's working. I don't see it as a safety system inherently, so a 'warning' isn't required.

It's works when I want it to. Do I worry about whether it's working or not? No.

If you want to test it, find some suitable and safe area, preferably a loose surface - and move off briskly.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't want a 'warning' that it's working. I don't see it as a safety system inherently, so a 'warning' isn't required.

It's works when I want it to. Do I worry about whether it's working or not? No.

If you want to test it, find some suitable and safe area, preferably a loose surface - and move off briskly.

Surely no different to the lights to tell to that the traction and stability control has been activated? Could always be shown in a sub-menu rather than as a "warning" with a choice to have shown or not. 

Edited by VAGCF

That's my point - Haldex isn't in the same category as traction or stability control. Not in my view anyway.

I want the vehicle to use Haldex as it sees fit. I can feel it working anyway and shuffling power around. But I guess that depends how you're driving, and over what routes.

Oh right, if you can feel it working then fair enough.

Never had a 4x4 and so was just looking at it from an outsiders/common sense point of view.

I suppose like me, if you've never caused the traction control etc. to activate you wouldn't know if that was working anyway! Unless there's a warning light! :D

I've only ever had the ABS cut in a couple of times during my whole life. Then again, when I was young, cars didn't have it! :D

Oh right, if you can feel it working then fair enough.

Never had a 4x4 and so was just looking at it from an outsiders/common sense point of view.

I suppose like me, if you've never caused the traction control etc. to activate you wouldn't know if that was working anyway! Unless there's a warning light! :D

I've only ever had the ABS cut in a couple of times during my whole life. Then again, when I was young, cars didn't have it! :D

Every time you brake the ABS is active in the background.

Edited by Llanigraham

Yikes, I'd certainly want a warning for that! :D

No need to worry, any-time it cuts in you'll feel and hear the pulsing/clicking thru the brake pedal. Only thing to remember is to not to back off the pressure on the brake pedal.

If it was a system that was either on or off then it would probably be simple to add a warning light that it was working, but it isn't simple, so how would you do it?

Do LR fit a light showing the 4x4 is working on any of their Haldex equipped vehicles? They certainly didn't on my Freelander's with a VCU, because there were no electronics involved.

In fact does any manufacturer do so, unless they have an electrically controlled diff-lock system?

I can see your point but what annoys me is that when a Haldex fault code is logged, the warning light doesn't come on, it just sits in the background while the car is in 2WD mode so it would be very easy to buy a car with a Haldex fault

I'm not sure if they have sorted this out, but it was the case with slightly older revisions of Haldex

Edited by SuperbTWM

No need to worry, any-time it cuts in you'll feel and hear the pulsing/clicking thru the brake pedal. Only thing to remember is to not to back off the pressure on the brake pedal.

You take me too seriously sometimes! :notme:

I can see your point but what annoys me is that when a Haldex fault code is logged, the warning light doesn't come on, it just sits in the background while the car is in 2WD mode so it would be very easy to buy a car with a Haldex fault

I'm not sure if they have sorted this out, but it was the case with slightly older revisions of Haldex

Yes, that was one of the reasons for me thinking it would be a good idea.

Or finding out, that when you needed it e.g. in a muddy field that it wasn't working.

A simple way to check the Haldex without entering a muddy field every three months would be to start off quick from traffic lights or hard acceleration as you turn a corner to try and spin the front wheels.

Haled is a very clever piece of kit and very reliable, you would notice if it did not work I am sure.

I didn't notice mine had stopped working until I towed the caravan to the dealers for its service. Front wheels scrabbling when setting off uphill on a wet road. Turned out that the control unit had failed or so the service receptionist said. Replaced under warranty.

A simple way to check the Haldex without entering a muddy field every three months would be to start off quick from traffic lights or hard acceleration as you turn a corner to try and spin the front wheels.

Haled is a very clever piece of kit and very reliable, you would notice if it did not work I am sure.

Just so! I found it was only too easy to prove it wasn't working. Pulling out of damp, gritty side roads to get up to speed with traffic triggered wheelspin every time. Fortunately as I have VCDS I was able to confirm my suspicions.

• Like 1

Right when it stops :rain:  raining !!!!!! I shall be under the car and having a ''butchers hook'' :sweat:  no wonder the love of my life calls our car  the'' spagetti'' great in the packet but a mess when opened and used !! are'nt they all the same no matter what make you buy :thumbdown:

I think some form of warning light would be invaluable. If it did have a warning light I wouldn't have to fight Skoda about whether or not it failed within the warranty time or not!!

• Like 1

I think some form of warning light would be invaluable. If it did have a warning light I wouldn't have to fight Skoda about whether or not it failed within the warranty time or not!!

So many sensors......just one missing.

• Like 1

Well I have been under the car and its a generation 2 haldex control unit you can see which one it is in the link go to autofaultfind  on posting #24. it is mounted on the backaxle on the nearside ( passenger side) so I drove the rear nearside wheel up a ramp and handbrake on, in gear and wheel chocks.

The unit did'nt look to bad no sign of corrosion on the cover and the seal around the unit appeared to be okay.

So I have sealed around the depression of the lid to the body of the unit with copper ease and also put a film of copper ease over the lid, so thats about the best I could do with the position of the unit it's not too bad to reach on your back!! up a garage ramp would be a doddle.

I did wonder why the unit does not have a waterproof cover over the lid ? or even a cover of some type to keep the road spray of it I mean at 70mph on a motorway in heavy rain it must be being blasted with water and small bits of road grit.yOU COULD MAKE A COVER FROM A PLASTIC TRAY YOU GET FROM SHOPPING AND HOLD IT AROUND THE UNIT WITH CABLE TIES its not very big the unit its about 10cm x 10cm.

Anyway if you fancy doing  what I have done a word of warning- PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE CAR IS SAFE TO WORK ON UNDERNEATH DO NOT JUST JACK IT UP ON THE JACK SUPPLIED WITH THE CAR USE A RAMP AND CHOCK THE WHEELS HANDBRAKE ON AND IN GEAR. :nerd: SAFTEY FIRST :nerd:

I also put some copper ease on the stud bolts of a bracket that is right under the middle exhaust clamp you cant' reach the bolts or nuts on the pipe clamp unless you take off the bracket !! so I thought what a brilliant place to put a pipe clamp!! mutter mutter right under a bracket !!

I have put 3 pictures on the posting just to show before and after  one picture was taken via a mirror under the car so things look the wrong way round!!

Please click on the pictures to make them bigger I'm still learning about all this so excuse mistakes !! The damp area on the rear diff is anti corrosion spray before i put the copper ease on the unit.

post-142100-0-77811000-1459696574_thumb.jpg

post-142100-0-15378800-1459696581_thumb.jpg

post-142100-0-35278900-1459696568_thumb.jpg

Edited by EvoT