The 220ps experiences, questions & answers thread

19 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I can see what you mean Rainmaker, I find it amazing that all the experts who build and test these cars reckon it's ok.

Can you confirm that the response control eliminates this? Have you got the Race chip one?

Yes and yes mate. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, facet edge said:

I can't see how you can drive around the throttle lag problem. Take the scenario of entering a roundabout. I cannot make the decision to accelerate until I can see if anything is coming and certainly won't be stepping on the accelerator before this time.

What I find is there is room to join the roundabout so I press the accelerator. There is now a pause where nothing happens and you are left with the decision of pressing harder or braking.

Twice I have found that pressing harder causes the box to snatch a lower gear, resulting in neck snapping acceleration followed by the traction control cutting in with all the attendant banging nose. This sort of behaviour leaves me extremely embarrassed as I pride myself on being able to drive smoothly. The electronics are not doing what they should and I am very surprised that the auto box was signed off when it displays this sort of behaviour.

Before I got my Superb, I drove a 1.2 DSG Yeti for a few months to tide me over. It was exactly this issue that lead me to revert back to a manual for the Superb. It drove me crazy and as much as I liked the general convenience of the DSG it wasn't something I could live with long-term.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe, this would have been better posted here:

I made my first proper, full-power pass yesterday. It was breathtaking, not to say nervewracking.

I was travelling along the B2089 from John's Cross to Rye. I was following an unloaded artic and he knew the road, staying in his lane, but really moving – never less than the speed limit. So, through the 30 mph villages and 40 mph twists and hills, I followed him to and through Rye. 

I figured I would lose him when I turned off to Camber Sands, but NO! We poodled through Camber and passed the caravan sites. Then, along the seafront, the road straightened out for just long enough. I snicked the stick back to Sport and floored it. The lorry kept nominally to his side of the road, but it was quite narrow, with a bit of a drop off on the verge. The Sportline leapt forward, stayed planted, I felt confident and I was past in a blink. Nice. As a biker, I was quite pleased with the passing performance. Never took it out of auto. Snicked it back into D and carried on. The wife was unflustered, too.

We were on our way to see Derrick Jarman's cottage garden in Dungeness and have fish'n'chips in the Pilot Inn. Lovely day out. Rush hour back in London was a breeze, too. I do not miss a manual transmission. At all.

Lydd Rd.JPG

Lydd Road, Camber (courtesy Google). Road didn't seem this long when I made my move! Ha!

Jarman.JPG

Dungeness Road, Lydd. Derrick Jarman's cottage is the black one. The rock garden has probably seen better days.

• Like 2

After the usual months of waiting my new Superb Tsi 220 gets delivered next week. Looking forward to getting it and a change from wiping the smelly oily stuff off my hands (I've had a 170 Tdi for the past 3 and a half years). Checked Tesco prices for 99 RON when I was in today, their policy is that 99 RON is pegged at 5p per litre more than their 95 RON price. This makes their 99 RON only 3p per litre more than the Tesco diesel I usually fill up with so not too bad at all considering the extra performance.

9 hours ago, 2slo7 said:

a change from wiping the smelly oily stuff off my hands (I've had a 170 Tdi for the past 3 and a half years)

That's such a good point, and something that's baffled me for years. Why are diesel pump triggers always covered in fuel?

It drives me nuts - I've always blamed van drivers, probably very unfairly! ;)

9 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

That's such a good point, and something that's baffled me for years. Why are diesel pump triggers always covered in fuel?

It drives me nuts - I've always blamed van drivers, probably very unfairly! ;)

I keep a packet of wet wipes in the drivers door pocket for that very reason.

10 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Diesel doesn't evaporate very quickly at all so any splashes will stick around on the pump and get transferred to you when you pick it up.  Petrol on the other hand will evaporate away quickly so even if it does transfer to you it won't hang around as much.

3 hours ago, wooyay said:

Diesel doesn't evaporate very quickly at all so any splashes will stick around on the pump and get transferred to you when you pick it up.  Petrol on the other hand will evaporate away quickly so even if it does transfer to you it won't hang around as much.

That makes sense, but I still find it hard to believe that so much fuel splashes out onto the nozzle under normal filling conditions. Diesel pumps are usually covered in the ruddy stuff!

I can't say that I wont buy another diesel engined car, but I wont be sorry to avoid the smelly stuff for a while. We had been running two diesel engines Skodas in our household for the past few years. Wife recently got a new Fabia 1.2 petrol (110ps with 6 speed box, cracking little car) and I'm getting the 220 Tsi. The improvements in petrol engine technology mean there is less reason to buy a diesel unless you do mega mileage, which we dont these days.

• Like 2

I'm now one month in after collecting my 220TSI DSG Superb.

Really happy with it.

I've also specked Sport Chassis, Progressive Steering and 19'' Sirius, so the drive is a blast...

Have done 1,300 mile so far with it, 99% were done on A roads and motorways.

@Rainmaker: the night before collecting it I have read again your topic on breaking in... :) 

Have done the "gentle approach", putting progressive load on the engine.

The first 1,000miles have not gone over 2500rpm.

Now, am using the < 3000rpm zone so have started to feel a bit of what this engine is all about.

I am really impressed with the smoothness of the running and the seamless gear changes of the DSG. Coming from a Superb MK2 TDI DSG, this Superb MK3 TSI DSG is world's apart in terms of refinement.

Can't wait to go over the 3500rpm zone, but that's only in another 1000miles...

• Like 1

First post after spending the last month and more browsing for info and advice on here, and there's plenty of it :)

Was about to pull the trigger last weekend on a nearly new 66 plate Octavia vRS Estate limited edition 230 in Moon White... was a very good price but somebody beat me to it.

Glad now though as I left the dealers with the intention of placing a factory order for the vRS FL version.  However after some more research on here and looking at the Superb as an alternative, found with some creative accounting I could for similar outlay afford the Superb instead :biggrin:

So now impatiently awaiting my order for Superb Sportline Estate 220PS in metallic Moon White   

Options added:

Front Parking Sensors

Canton Sound System

Temporary Space Saver Wheel

Heated Washer Nozzles

Rear Backrest Release

Long wait ahead...

• Like 4

@Neil201 The A3 Sportback was high on my shopping list when I settled on my Brera, so I'm pretty familiar with them. I can promise you: you will be pleased with your new purchase – once you learn to parallel park it! Otherwise, the Superb lives up to its name. The size is not so noticeable in close traffic and is much appreciated when you want to drop the rear seats and fill it up with, um, whatever.

Edited by freelunch

Quick update after the first couple of days and 150 miles in mine. No faults on delivery. Not much fuel in it but that's typical these days. Went straight along to the nearest Tesco and filled up with 99 RON. I expect it'll stay on this.

I always run my cars in progressively, pretty much as per recommended on here, gradually increasing the revs with every few hundred miles. It's going to be difficult with this one as it's very keen to go! MPG so far has hovered around an indicated 30 which is about what I'd expect, probably be a bit better with a few more miles on it.

Glad I opted for the DCC, seems to work well and gives the car the option of relaxed and laid back (Eco mode) or press on and enjoy (Sport). The std stereo isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking it might have been, I reckon it's about on par with the optional 'sound system' in the mk II Superb.

What I really like about the 220 so far though is just how relaxed and quiet it is, driving round town it just wafts along and you can barely hear the engine. There are times when this is just what I want, especially when I've got passengers.

I can understand what's been said about the less than responsive throttle pedal, might be something I'll look to upgrade in time, not sure why Skoda have engineered so much slack into it?

@Rainmaker Thanks and hopefully a shorter wait than the 6 Months it took for my previous car.

@Freelunch Yep the A3 Sportback has been a great car for me, had her for over 5 years now also bought from new and will miss her when she goes.  But had enough of derv and thought it time to switch back to Petrol, had a great time test driving some vRS's but the Superb seemed another step up in quality as well as size.  Was pleasantly surprised at just how much so.  When I started looking for my next car didn't really expect to be getting something so big, but yeah that boot space will come in handy for putting my bike(s) in the back :)

Also glad to see so many people on here actually running there cars in properly.

I can vouch for how much it proves its worth in the long run.  After driving many pre-owned cars and always needing to top up oil between services on them, some being very thirsty with it, my current car run in and treated properly from the off, never so much as needed a drop between services.  She's now just done over 96000 miles and still does not need topping up and runs as good as ever.

• Like 1

Dirty Diesel Divorce agreed :D

Yes I have finally managed to divorce myself from the experiment into using a diesel engine to power a family car. My 150TDI DSG L&K is going home to Skoda and a luvverly 220ps L&K is coming to live with us in the next week.

Those of you who have been around a while may remember that I took the diesel as an alternative after some issues with my original order back in 2015. It has been a good experience in many ways. The 150TDI and DSG is a nicely balanced car and in many ways is likely the sweet spot for the majority of users but it is still a diesel.

When SWMBO bought herself a new Volvo V40 recently I was reminded of the BHP/torque characteristics of modern petrol engines and just how much more comfortable to drive they actually are.

That was it then! After a dalliance with Merc (the S205) and Volvo (V60/T4) I came full circle back to Skoda. The others just didn't come close on ride etc (although the seats in the Volvo are out of this world, best ever sat upon for me).

So popped into my local with a half baked idea and with their excellent help, a good trade off price and discount, have pulled the trigger on a 220ps L&K in Cappuchino with Beige interior. I chose this combo after seeing the pictures that niceasmay put up in the photo thread. I have to agree that it is a lovely colour in the flesh.

I will post some piccies and first impressions once I have the car and the excitement abates.

Thanks for all the info/comments in this topic. They were a large part of making me see sense :blush  

• Like 2

...you'll see... The Force is strong with this one... Much stronger than it was with your 150... :biggrin:

Edited by Csory
  • Like 2

I have completed my first long distance run. Fully laden with 4 people, the boot so full that there was only a "porthole" for the rear view mirror and six pairs of skis in a long roofbox. Covered 650 miles at average of just of 36mpg, all on dual carriageway roads of one sort or another except for the first mile, last 10 miles and a short distance at the end of day 1 (about 2mpg worse than my old mk2 1.8 in almost identical conditions. Tried to do a steady 72/75. as the wind noise from the roofbox got a bit obtrusive at French AutoRoute speeds. ACC very useful. Absolutely trouble free, noticed occasionally dropping a gear on some of the steeper gradients, but no dip in speed. We have been driving to the Alps for more than 20 years and this was by far the most relaxing drive; even the boss appreciated the power and the DSG. We also valued the bigger fuel tank as we didn't have to stop so often, although stopping at non petrol "aires" was necessary for other comfort reasons!

Edited by 100andthirty
  • Like 1

We had a successful run up to Hull "The 2017 City of Culture", our longest trip so far. I just had a look at the car computer and it says I averaged 40.8 mpg and 44 mph over the last 255 mile motorway stretch. Not bad, but I am a bit skeptical about computer readouts. I always take pump readings. My first tank averaged out at 26.5 mpg, but that included a lot of town work and experimentation with DCC and DSG settings. My second tank, which included some motorway miles, worked out at 33.1 mpg. Because of the motorway work, I am expecting my next pump reading will improve once again, but nothing like the 38 mpg the computer says I'm getting. (I always have the air set to Auto and the DCC in Normal, full auto.)

I had occasion to put the pedal to the metal several times on the A15 and continue to be impressed with the 220's performance. Plenty of power when you want it. On the other hand, the Sportline is a sedate and comfortable cruiser, too. I am getting quite adept at using the adaptive cruise control, increasing and dropping the speed as required, increasing and decreasing the gap between me and the car in front. I like it.

At one point, the traffic on the A14 came to a rather abrupt halt. I saw it coming, but let the car do the work – keeping my foot hovering just above the brake pedal, just in case. It was just like the manual said: the car came to a complete (and well controlled) stop, then set off when the traffic moved again, never once did I touch the brake or accelerator pedal – absolutely brilliant.

There was only one "negative" for me: I've got almost 400 Gb's of music loaded, but find it difficult to choose what I want to listen to whilst on the move. Of course now that I completely trust the car to do the driving, I'm free to take my eyes off the road and attend to my infotainment centre, right? Wrong. So, I have to train up my Luddite wife to work the computer. "Careful! It's a touch screen, not a push screen." "Don't PUSH!!!" "NO! PRESSING HARDER DOES NOT MAKE IT WORK BETTER!!!!!" So, she's starting to comprehend the basics, and the navigation, but – we had to listen to 45 minutes of Basement Jaxx. Every time I turned down the volume on the steering wheel, she turned it back up on the dash.

• Like 2

@freelunch So, she's starting to comprehend the basics, and the navigation, but – we had to listen to 45 minutes of Basement Jaxx. Every time I turned down the volume on the steering wheel, she turned it back up on the dash.

Isn't that a yellow card offence; 10 mins in the sin bin, i.e. the rear seats.  

Repeat offences lead to a red card and getting the train home :o

Got my car yesterday and going out for a longer run this afternoon, see how we get on.

Getting a proper clean next week so will post pictures after that.

Edited by Bud