190bhp, experiences, q&a's

Hi

got 190tdi on order collect next week i hope it is manual gearbox at what speed do you have to be doing to get in to top gear had 140tdi i think it was you had to be doing 50before you could change in to top, was  slugish is these new superbs all that bad the 2lt tdi i mean.

Still waiting for my car....any tips for running in the 190tdi. Watched a few annoying American guys on YouTube which didn't help.

Any info would be appreciated :)

I collected mine last week a 190dsg I came from a s2 170bhp. I am not sure but it does not seem as quick but this might be their is no rattles or a much road noise giving the impression of warp speed. My fuel consumption also does not seem to be as good 8.8 liters per 100km (only 1000k done)the s2 was about 6.2 ish. I also have a rattle from the rear that seems well documented here on this forum as it has the dcc, The park assist button also sticks down when pushed but release if you put pressure on the center console but these are minor things for a fantastic car I will go back to the dealer in a week or 2 and see what happens from their. It's very smooth especially in comfort on the motorway I say you could cover large distances with ease I was a private buyer and intend to keep it 5 years.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I collected mine last week a 190dsg I came from a s2 170bhp. I am not sure but it does not seem as quick but this might be their is no rattles or a much road noise giving the impression of warp speed. My fuel consumption also does not seem to be as good 8.8 liters per 100km (only 1000k done)the s2 was about 6.2 ish. I also have a rattle from the rear that seems well documented here on this forum as it has the dcc, The park assist button also sticks down when pushed but release if you put pressure on the center console but these are minor things for a fantastic car I will go back to the dealer in a week or 2 and see what happens from their. It's very smooth especially in comfort on the motorway I say you could cover large distances with ease I was a private buyer and intend to keep it 5 years.

How are you breaking in the engine?

By driving it! All engines are pre run etc I haven't being driving her in the red but driving like I normally would without full throttle. I think with modern engine's and modern oils and also the high manufacturing tolerances these days the run in is not like years ago. The first service is due at 30000km but I probably dump the oil and filter about 5k myself.

By driving it! All engines are pre run etc I haven't being driving her in the red but driving like I normally would without full throttle. I think with modern engine's and modern oils and also the high manufacturing tolerances these days the run in is not like years ago. The first service is due at 30000km but I probably dump the oil and filter about 5k myself.

I'm pretty sure the piston rings will need a bit of TLC from new.

advice for running in from reliable sources,

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/running-in-a-new-car.html

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/running-in-a-diesel/

Me im going to go out and do a tank of fuel over two three days, never exceeding 3500rpm and going up and down the DGS manually, just for the fun of it.

If on a duel track or M/way, I'll stick at 60 or 70 and change gear up and down 4th to 6th every 5 or so mins so the revs vary and the gears get used. I shall also

move off bristly from a stand still but not exceed 3/4 rpm, changing up manually. If in a 30, 40 limit I shall be going up and down the box, 2,3,4  in order to

vary the revs and run in the gear box. After the first tank full Im guessing 500-600 miles or so ill just drive it normally. Having come from a job where cars were driven

at speed every day from the first day, occasionally straight into a blue light run or even a pursuit and never had a problem with any of them. I am of the opinion that

modern engines are usually OK but as it's my car Ill do something rather than just drive normally from the off.

• Like 2

1. It's OK. Nothing great, needs a remap. Car crying out for another 2 cylinders and 50bhp.

2. Around 1900 rpm

3. Don't trust the adblue range estimate, I had to refill at around 7000 miles. It's also a major faff if you but cheap off ebay. My tip, buy a bottle from Halfords, keep the empty container which has a decent valve on the filler head, buy bulk from Amazon and decant into your original Halfords container. I'm sure there are other decent containers but font get it on your paintwork so don't skimp on the filler system!

4. I usually get around 45mpg, but then the definition of spirited driving varies. My definition means using the full engine speed range, overtaking wherever possible slow moving traffic on A roads, and cruising around 80 on M ways etc. I managed 60+ today though with cruise set to 70 on the M69 and M1

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Quote No.3. I agree do not rely on the range estimate. When i picked up my MkIII 190 L&K Hatch on Octobrer 1st, the range estimate was 7000 miles, I Had asked before pickup that the Adblue level be topped up to full, this was not done. Adding AdBlue is NO WAY A MAJOR FAFF, it is absolutely simple to top up, as stated use Halfords starter kit, holds 4 Litres then top up from a larger container, I used a 10 Litre container from AMAZON, this also comes with a nice flexible filler hose. When range said 6000 miles add 1 Gall min 1 gall max, I topped up emptied  4 litre and topped up from large one. Actual time taken from opening Halfords box, using the 4litres fluid topping up from 10 litre container and filling AdBle tank to auto cut off less than 10 minutes. No spills or drips, ignition turneds on for approx 1 minute and AdBlue distance said 8500, this is a full tank to correct level. Skoda uk  confirmed that a tank when full should last for 8300miles. Hence the tank reading of 8500, as the graduations are in 500 mile sections. When purchasing AdBlue anywhere in containers check the date it only has an 18month shelf life so unless you use a lot dont buy in very large containers.

Quote No.3. I agree do not rely on the range estimate. When i picked up my MkIII 190 L&K Hatch on Octobrer 1st, the range estimate was 7000 miles, I Had asked before pickup that the Adblue level be topped up to full, this was not done. Adding AdBlue is NO WAY A MAJOR FAFF, it is absolutely simple to top up, as stated use Halfords starter kit, holds 4 Litres then top up from a larger container, I used a 10 Litre container from AMAZON, this also comes with a nice flexible filler hose. When range said 6000 miles add 1 Gall min 1 gall max, I topped up emptied  4 litre and topped up from large one. Actual time taken from opening Halfords box, using the 4litres fluid topping up from 10 litre container and filling AdBle tank to auto cut off less than 10 minutes. No spills or drips, ignition turneds on for approx 1 minute and AdBlue distance said 8500, this is a full tank to correct level. Skoda uk  confirmed that a tank when full should last for 8300miles. Hence the tank reading of 8500, as the graduations are in 500 mile sections. When purchasing AdBlue anywhere in containers check the date it only has an 18month shelf life so unless you use a lot dont buy in very large containers.

As previously stated in post #15 when my car was delivered the range said 7,500 miles:

IMG_1281_zpsjhcxvsec.jpg

I then received my 1st warning of 1,500 miles left @ 7,523 miles, it was still showing that 80 miles later when I decided to fill mine the easy way, not to mention the cheapest way... which is buying it via the pump at a petrol station (the adblue pumps are located by the HGV pumps), you will probably need to see the cashier before they turn the pump on but they will have no issues doing so,

From pulling up,

taking the photo above,

‘waisting’ a couple of mins waiting for them to turn the pump on before realising I needed to see the cashier to ask them to turn the pump on,

filling up,

queueing to pay,

waiting between 30 - 60 seconds for the instruments to reset

taking the photo below, took a total of 9 mins:

IMG_1575_zpsq2d83nup.jpg

The tank actually took about 30 seconds or so until it was full, the pump nozzle is a nice snug fit into the filler neck and because it goes in about 4” there is no chance of spilling any, mine actually took 13 litres to brim it (I filled it slowly so there was no chance of an airlock forming in the tank resulting in a blow back)

So what is the maximum mileage from a tankful?

according to my car 9,000 miles is certainly possible if you fill it up just before it runs out, which obviously is NOT recommended, once the tank was filled it now shows 9,500 miles before it will be empty, so I would say the gauge is pretty accurate on mine as I probably put more in that the factory did?

IMG_1576_zpsqjzhjozk.jpg

So in summary you can buy the stuff from amazon etc for around £14 for 10 litres, mess about filling it out of a bottle, stand a chance of buying it with a short shelf life etc, or you can do it the easy (sensible) way...

Buy it from the pump, FWIW I paid 59.9p per litre from my local BP station, which is less than half price of Amazon  :think:

Ultimately though it’s your choice, I wouldn’t buy diesel in cans and decant it myself and I certainly have no intention on doing that with the adblue either.

• Like 2

Thanks Gizmo68 for that info.

That's the best guide through for AdBlue I've read on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Until more filling stations provide AdBlue from a pump, I'll have to stick with filling up from a 10 litre bottle. To be honest, it's no more hassle than topping up your washer fluid. None of my local filling stations have AdBlue via a pump as yet. The nearest one I know of is the Pease Pottage services, which I rarely stop at due to the cost of the diesel.

It's about £1 a litre when purchased that way, but take it to a VW group dealer and see what they'll charge!  :D

Same problem for me too, I can't buy at the pump let cky either, otherwise I'd agree it's the obvious way to do it. One question though, presumably the min / max advice on the trip comp display is to help avoid overfilling, and spilling it everywhere, but why a minimum level?

Same problem for me too, I can't buy at the pump let cky either, otherwise I'd agree it's the obvious way to do it. One question though, presumably the min / max advice on the trip comp display is to help avoid overfilling, and spilling it everywhere, but why a minimum level?

I have no idea really. It must be just for guidance purposes. Mine said it wanted 7 litres and it glugged all 10 litres from my bottle and still wasn't full up. 

From now on i'll treat it just like filling up with fuel: fill it right up but don't let it overflow everywhere! I'll be glad when AdBlue pumps for cars become more commonplace at filling stations. 

Still waiting for my car so I've not done AdBlue filling yet.

A question....do the filling station pumps have an auto stop like the fuel nozzles at the diesel pumps?

advice for running in from reliable sources,

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/running-in-a-diesel/

Me im going to go out and do a tank of fuel over two three days, never exceeding 3500rpm and going up and down the DGS manually, just for the fun of it.

If on a duel track or M/way, I'll stick at 60 or 70 and change gear up and down 4th to 6th every 5 or so mins so the revs vary and the gears get used. I shall also

move off bristly from a stand still but not exceed 3/4 rpm, changing up manually. If in a 30, 40 limit I shall be going up and down the box, 2,3,4 in order to

vary the revs and run in the gear box. After the first tank full Im guessing 500-600 miles or so ill just drive it normally. Having come from a job where cars were driven

at speed every day from the first day, occasionally straight into a blue light run or even a pursuit and never had a problem with any of them. I am of the opinion that

modern engines are usually OK but as it's my car Ill do something rather than just drive normally from the off.

The question that is not answered in any of the advice is why do you need to run it in? The AA advice of generally bedding things in at first makes sense of course, but why vary the engine speed? What engineering explanation is there for that to be necessary?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Have heard much anecdotal evidence and many old timer mechanics swear by the fact that "running in" modern engines, especially TDs causes them to use oil as the bores can become glazed. Drive them normally but not too hard for first 1k miles seems to be a recurring theme.

Did this in mine, starting to explore performance of mine now at 1.5k miles. It's disturbingly quick for a large automatic with such phenomenal economy (averaging mid-high 50's on maxidot and mid-low 50's on pump).

I presume that they would be likely more common at motorway service stations?

Certainly I would have thought that by now all the motorway services will sell it via the pump, however just pick a large enough station that has HGV pumps and the chances are key will also sell adblue via the pump.

I've just downloaded the AdBlue App from the App Store.

Worth a look.

I tried that, but it crashes every time. The yara site shows the adblue at pump sites across UK, so I know where the ones are on my frequent routes, not tried it yet though.