The Mysterious Case of the Opening Boot?

This morning I went to my car( a Kessy equipped TSI 220 DSG) to find the boot open. The car was last used yesterday at 1030am and was locked using Kessy. My neighbour passed at 0700 and could confirm the boot was not open then.

This is not the first time I have gone to the car to find the boot open, the previous time I had persuaded myself that I had hit the key fob in my pocket accidently. Several times I have locked/unlocked the car when patting my jacket to ensure I have my keys. The buttons on the fob stand proud and can inadvertently trigger an action.

I wonder if anyone has any comments, I seem to recall this happening previously and has been reported on this forum.

On a completely separate matter, two days ago I tanked up with Tesco Momentum 99 and managed to put 67.5 litres into the buggy, the "Range" figure at the time was showing 35 miles so another 4-5 litres was already in the car. I am under the impression that the capacity of the fuel tank is "approx. 66 litres", so I have managed to get 72 litres into a 66 litre pot.

The most obvious cause of this phenomenon is a  misreading fuel pump. Before I go to Tesco and maybe Trading Standards has anyone managed this trick.

Your comments would be appreciated.

All the documentation I have seen says 66 liters but having seen a number of people stating they have refilled with more than that, see here  http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/superb/2016/coopers/418709  I'm not sure any more I would suggest Trading standards need informing if it is that far out.

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/superb/fuel-tank-capacity/

Things like this also seriously mess up your fuel calculations.

Edited by russ1610

Hi,

For what its worth-

I fly model aircraft, we use the high frequency sets and have had trouble with ( in a few places ) interference from micro wave links, military transmissions & transmissions from other sources ( factory's/Taxi's ) Not knowing what frequency the fob works it could be theirs nothing wrong with the tail gate--- it was a passing taxi/gas board van/police car that triggered it off !

Hi,

For what its worth-

I fly model aircraft, we use the high frequency sets and have had trouble with ( in a few places ) interference from micro wave links, military transmissions & transmissions from other sources ( factory's/Taxi's ) Not knowing what frequency the fob works it could be theirs nothing wrong with the tail gate--- it was a passing taxi/gas board van/police car that triggered it off !

I assume keys work on a different spectrum as communication. Otherwise also the communication channel would have interference of the keys (hence hearing only noise as there are 1000's of keys nearby any position). Would also mean that car doors would magically unlock all the time.

I assume keys work on a different spectrum as communication. Otherwise also the communication channel would have interference of the keys (hence hearing only noise as there are 1000's of keys nearby any position). Would also mean that car doors would magically unlock all the time.

Hi,

Regarding frequency, if the transmitter ( police car/taxi/ emergency vehicle ) was passing its possible for the transmitter to "swamp" the receiver & if the receiver works on a frequency thats a harmonic of the transmitter------------

This would explain why its intermittent.

• Like 1

All the documentation I have seen says 66 liters but having seen a number of people stating they have refilled with more than that, see here http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/superb/2016/coopers/418709 I'm not sure any more I would suggest Trading standards need informing if it is that far out.

http://carleasingmadesimple.com/data/skoda/superb/fuel-tank-capacity/

Things like this also seriously mess up your fuel calculations.

That's my Fuelly account and yes I can confirm that it has been filled above 65 litres, and there was room to spare because I had reasonable range left prior to filling.

Perhaps it's 70 litres after all?

I've now read about so many instances of boots opening unexpectedly or being found open on return to car that I'm delighted I didn't opt for KESSY.  It seems to be a gimmick that is more hassle than it's worth.  I don't find it a huge hardship to use a remote control and key - as I have on every other car I have owned for the last 23 years - and my boot only opens when I want it to!

No issues like this for me (so far), must be down to not keeping my keys in my jeans pocket when the car is parked up! 

No problems with our former S2 and so far no problems with this on our S3. So far the keys have only been kept in my coat pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have exactly same issue with my 2016 1.8 TSI.

Rear boot open; four times in 1 month.

Have found car unlocked many times even when distance to transmitter is way beyond reach.

I do not keep my key in the pocket; but even if I did the doors should auto-lock within 1 minute if no door is operated; except boot...

I just left my car at the garage today to have this issue solved. My gut feeling is this is a combination of temperature and humidity changes.

Hopefully its just the key...

I will keep you posted when I have the final answer.

Regards frustrated owner in Norway.

Edited by roarhag

It's just as crappy here in DK (cold/wet/humid), and I haven't had anything unlocking or opening by its own :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I've just taken delivery of my new 162 Estate (2 days ago) which I love but this morning I have experienced the mysterious boot opening issue. I have gone into the garage and noticed that the boot was open. Thankfully I had set the limit on this just yesterday otherwise it would have potentially left a nice dent in the car. 

Did anybody get to the bottom of this? I will let the dealer know but would be good if I could provide them with a place to start looking. 

Thanks, Ben

Not sure if this related but my dealer told me about a recall a couple of months ago about the tailgate control not working properly, just had it done today about a half hour job.

Details on sheet

Recall 55J1 V Tailgate control

• 1 month later...

I too am working through the magic opening scenario, it has happened to me on other makes and does seem to come back to 'pocket pressure'. I'll probably turn mine off as I don't need it often.

I too am working through the magic opening scenario, it has happened to me on other makes and does seem to come back to 'pocket pressure'. I'll probably turn mine off as I don't need it often.

No way to turn it off as far as I know (happy to be proven wrong!). Had the same issue a few times too.

It happened to me twice in the morning that I found the boot lid wide open. I am not sure if it was caused by tight pockets. I blame the local cats. After I disabled the easy open option it hasn't happened again.

It happened to me twice in the morning that I found the boot lid wide open. I am not sure if it was caused by tight pockets. I blame the local cats. After I disabled the easy open option it hasn't happened again.

The easy open option does not affect opening the boot with the keyfob as far as I know.

• 1 month later...

Hi - yes this is a fault . Mine has opened at the traffic lights on two occasions .

It fortunately showed with a multiple of other problems on the dealer printout.

Goes in Sept for fix hopefully.