VRS Estate - Eco Mode

Morning all,

Got my new VRS Diesel Estate on Monday and have been driving round with a big grin ever since. Just one little thing though - tried to put the car in to Eco driving mode, but when I press the Eco setting, the VRS switch / light, lights up?

What am I doing wrong? Cant seem to find anything in the manual to direct you through the correct procedure.

Could always leave it in VRS mode suppose!

(and this might just be me - the engine note seems to be more gruff / sporty in normal mode than what it is in VRS mode!)

Any ideas?

Cheers

John

ECO mode is horrific to use in city driving, only really useful on motorways/dual carriageways and even then the economy difference is tiny if any at all in my experience!

Hi

Just driven back from France to day the only time I took out Eco was driving thought Rouen [when I put in normal]. It's still does go shxt when you put your foot down a bit!! I also have been trying to take it out of CC going down hill - as it idles, until you brake. [ note on French Autoroutes are very quite!]

On returning home after 400 miles 90% dual carriageway, the mpg was 65!! [doing 65/70 most of the way.

But please make not that having a DTUK peddle box and TREVOR both improves throttle response - but also upsets the shown MPG reading!! I still expect, when I check it on fill up to be over 55!

Just my pennies worth - or euros !!!!

Nice to be home - car in body shop Monday!!!

Steve

ECO mode is horrific to use in city driving, only really useful on motorways/dual carriageways and even then the economy difference is tiny if any at all in my experience!

Can't see that being the case. Eco mode dulls throttle response and reduces AC iirc. On a DC or motorway, throttle is steady anyway and the AC isn't really putting any additional strains on the engine at high speeds anyway. So really, it's doing nothing.

I find the driving mode selection a bit of a farce anyway. Your right foot can do the same job. Had the modes increase power and adjusted suspension settings I could see the point.

• Like 1

why not just leave it in sports mode?

DSG changes too late for the diesel engine, the best it's power has long gone by the time you reach the redline.

Pedal box set to max and Sports mode = EPC fault when accelerator is flat on the floor.

Regards

T

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 1

Can't see that being the case. Eco mode dulls throttle response and reduces AC iirc. On a DC or motorway, throttle is steady anyway and the AC isn't really putting any additional strains on the engine at high speeds anyway. So really, it's doing nothing.

I find the driving mode selection a bit of a farce anyway. Your right foot can do the same job. Had the modes increase power and adjusted suspension settings I could see the point.

The usefulness bit was in reference to the coasting feature of Eco mode on a DSG. I agree though it is largely useless, even the coasting only really works going downhill!

The usefulness bit was in reference to the coasting feature of Eco mode on a DSG. I agree though it is largely useless, even the coasting only really works going downhill!

Ah, I'd forgotten about the coasting. Apologies.

Hi

" why not just leave it in sports mode?"

Fine if you have a vRS TSI and your company are paying the fuel bills!!

The guy who opened the post has a vRS TDI, so he [or his company] has his bank balance in mind!

In my experience, driving on "motorways/autoroutes" Eco or Normal is the best option. Sport mode is fine for a few minutes of FUN, but I get enough when I need it on mine, when I need to - thanks to DTUK - without using sport mode!!

Steve

• Like 1

Was only thinking of the Eco mode for motorway miles as I do a lot of this. Sat on the M60/M62 every day and being lucky to get over 50MPH, sport mode isn't worth it. save that for Weekends!

Bizarrely when I'm driving in normal conditions I find that I use the throttle less with Sport as the grunt is lower down. In Eco mode I'm having to bury the peddle to get the car moving, in Sport I just tickle it. Makes for an easier journey IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Skodev

Mine is in sport all the time. I'm averaging 52mpg over 32,000 miles, so I don't think the mode makes any difference, only the way you drive it. I like the quicker throttle response of sport over eco anyway.

Car is a VRS TDi manual estate :)

Mine is in sport all the time. I'm averaging 52mpg over 32,000 miles, so I don't think the mode makes any difference, only the way you drive it. I like the quicker throttle response of sport over eco anyway.

Car is a VRS TDi manual estate :)

I guess its only with the DSG that the mode affects the consumption.

• Like 1