Corner lights activated, now want leds

Someone kindly helped me this week and got my cornering lights activated as well as coding my led number plate lights. (What a difference!!) The thing now is I kinda want led fogs/Cornering lights.

Which ones are people using and what if any are people using that aren't LEDs and require no coding?

I use these: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-x-treme-vision-led-fog-lamp

They're bloody expensive but IMO worth it; lovely colour temp, very bright, much much better than the standards! Got mine off ebay, I would link it but that particular listing has ended.

Take a look  :nerd:  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/384125-philips-h16-led-fog-lamps-has-anyone-tried-these/?p=4524157  :nerd:

EDIT:

Or... Osram have released this: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-cool-blue-intense-h16-twin

Don't know if they're any good but maybe worth a try? I was going to get these originally, but they weren't available in the UK at the time, and i'm an impatient sod. Just noticed them now...would be very interesting to see if they're any good actually :)

Edited by FluffyEyeball
  • Like 1

You can order some H8 LED's from eBay and the just trim the lugs down slightly, the electrical plug is the same.

The fact that you need 4 makes it expensive, and they won't really give out anymore light (slightly less throw in fact).

Only option is the super expensive ones with LED drivers but they won't fade in and out.

Do the phillips ones have LED's both sides? The pictures don't show the other side

Edited by xpower

That's correct, it's just the lugs that need trimming from the H8 to make it the same as H16.

Originally H8=55w, H16=21w

The one I had were ones like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272162271719

But these may be pretty good also (probably better)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371406214410

Edited by xpower

You can order some H8 LED's from eBay and the just trim the lugs down slightly, the electrical plug is the same.

The fact that you need 4 makes it expensive, and they won't really give out anymore light (slightly less throw in fact).

Only option is the super expensive ones with LED drivers but they won't fade in and out.

Do the phillips ones have LED's both sides? The pictures don't show the other side

Yes the philips ones have LED's each side.

Probably already linked but, I used : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301178001533?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT no issues with coding. Had them on for a number of months, small adjustment made to the metal to make fit better (dremel a small notch in the securing lug (as the three securing lugs you'll find one slightly too long, 2 minute job to sort).  Fitting done in around 10 minutes...

Probably already linked but, I used : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301178001533?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT no issues with coding. Had them on for a number of months, small adjustment made to the metal to make fit better (dremel a small notch in the securing lug (as the three securing lugs you'll find one slightly too long, 2 minute job to sort).  Fitting done in around 10 minutes...

That link is for a set of 501 led's 

Is there anyone around the Telford area that could code mine?

I fitted them a couple of months ago, but now the evenings are drawing out I forget about the lamp warning (I don't do much driving at night now), but when I do use the lights the lamp warning really bugs me.

Is there anyone around the Telford area that could code mine?

I fitted them a couple of months ago, but now the evenings are drawing out I forget about the lamp warning (I don't do much driving at night now), but when I do use the lights the lamp warning really bugs me.

Which ones you got??

Pretty certain these are them (thanks to xpower for originally posting the link).

https://www.ebay.co....tm/272162271719 .

Been in the car for 2 months now and no problems, and much improves the cornering function.

Found the original bulbs a pain in the ar*e to remove (fiddely) because they have like a securing clip that has to be removed before you can get the bulb/s out, I used a little hook tool and a mirror to get at them, once the clip is removed the bulbs come out easily.

As already said you just need to trim a bit off the new bulb, but when you look at the old and new side by side it's obvious what needs trimming.

A good alternative to the Philips LEDs are these Chinese clones http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-new-LED-fog-6000K-H8-H11-H16-LED-fog-valve-X-treme-Ultinon/32611184356.html

It was free shipping when I bought them so great value for ~£25 a pair delivered to the UK. Being almost identical to the Philip they don't have a fan and should survive quite well as cornering fogs.

I know this is a silly question as it's more a matter of personal taste but...

Is the fade noticeable for the driver, does fading in/out look better than instant on/off?

Does the £260 price tag for two sets of the Philips ones get you more/better light than cheaper versions without the LED driver?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a shame about the fade. I gather that is the same with the fade in out for the I terror lights too when you change to leds

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I know this is a silly question as it's more a matter of personal taste but...

Is the fade noticeable for the driver, does fading in/out look better than instant on/off?

Does the £260 price tag for two sets of the Philips ones get you more/better light than cheaper versions without the LED driver?

There is an ever-so-slight amount of fade from the Philips, but it's not that noticeable really, particularly not as the driver whilst driving. 

I bought them whilst they were on special offer, and whilst still exceptionally expensive, I'm not sure I'd pay the full £260. Especially not now Osram do the CBI halogen. Philips also claim that their LED's match the beam pattern of the original halogens (which, to be fair, they seem to do) thereby not dazzling other people on the road. Whether this works I don't know, as they're still brighter than the halogens, and I suspect some other LED's may do this too.

I personally don't trust a lot of the cheaper/imitation LED's that you can often get online. Even if they look good/the same initially, the light they produce can be more prone to deteriorating over time, sometimes very quickly. I also don't trust the electrical workings in a lot of them. A quick search of Youtube will show some demonstrations that people have done on cheap(er) LED's that are easily available, and how inadequate the electric's can be. Whilst maybe not as much of a safety issue in the automotive setting, I personally wouldn't be happy putting them in my £20000+ car.

Don't get me wrong, that's just my personal opinion based on no more hard evidence than what can be found online. Some of the ones available may be fantastic and at a fraction of the cost, and will cause no problems what-so-ever. 

• Like 1

Just one little note of caution for some of the 'cree' types off ebay I think the link below is like the ones I tried

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272162271719?clk_rvr_id=1016465294615&ul_noapp=true

I'm generally a fan of LED lights, but not for main lights unless they are factory or from a major make. I did go against my instincts and tried a pair of the type above as I needed a couple anyway (admittedly not in a Skoda).

They do change the colour, granted, but within days I had the misfortune to actually be caught out in fog. They have no cut-off at all and the backscatter in the fog was bad enough for me let alone other traffic. Better when they were turned off. When I fitted osrams back in I tried it at night against a wall. With the halogens there is a distinct cut-off and bias to the kerb, but with the LEDs it was just like an open bulb, as much up as down. regret not taking a photograph now

The vrs may give more of a cut-off due to its reflector shape but for rounder reflectors like the normal octy or the machine I tried it wasn't an experience I want to repeat

As there is no other lamp they fit they went in the bin. 

That may be where the more expensive ones come into their own as they are supposed to have a proper cut-off, but I have to admit I only use fog lights in fog and I have not seen much evidence that the visibility is better than good halogens.

I would be interested to hear if those Phillips do well in bad weather

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear if those Phillips do well in bad weather

I've used them once in heavy fog and they seemed good, no more dazzle than I might have expected. That being said I never got chance to use the halogens in the fog, so I cannot compare to how the light 'should' be.