tyre noise or wheel bearing problem?

hello everyone,  my one year old octavia 1.4 tsi 140 with 17.000kms on the clock  has developped a strange rumbling noise from the front side of the car between 90 and 100 to 105 kph which is non existent in any other speeds.I have already balanced the tyres which are 17'' pirellis cinturato p7 ecoimpact and so far have been flawless . I have also read in an audi forum that an a3 sportback owner was having the same problem with 11.800km on the clock and he had to change a wheel bearing. do you think this might also be the case with mine or the pirellis are starting to get noisier?

I had a similar problem that sounded like front N/S wheel bearing. I got the dealer to check it at service and they found the Michelins were all going out of shape. New set of Conti's fitted and all is well again.

17" rims on my Mk111

Mine was awful on the back when the confiscated started to wear. Could barely hear the wife from the back seat.... So I left them on hahaha. Nah changed them for vredestein vorits and all noise gone. Except the wife

• Like 1

hi again, just got back from the dealers. we took  it for a ride and the noise seemed to vary on the road surface-the check on the bearings after we lifted the car didn't show anything- all wheels were silent. it appears that i was too positive about the pirellis all this time and that didn't turn to be good!!! I've already started to think about new boots for the octy.my tyre shop has all the premium brands in stock but he also recommends falken azenis 453 and fulda sport control which are quite cheap in comparison. another shop in my area brings the hankooks evo2 v120 for which I also get good reviews.I need your thoughts but bear in mind that here in Greece we have summer for about 8 months :sun:  and temperatures from 20 to 35-40 degrees celcius so the things i would like the new tyre to excel are dry grip and noise levels :notme:

I've had pretty much the same story as you. I've bought a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's from CamSkill at about 55 quid a tyre. Thought I'd give them a go at that price. People say they wear quite quickly, but that may be a benefit as my dunlops havent really worn at all apart from saw toothing causing the noise. 

I'll probably get them fitted at my local tyre place in the next week or so and see if it makes much difference.

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one but also quite disappointed since its the first time this is happening to any of the cars the family has used so far.my thoughts are on the fuldas as  a value 4 money choice and low noise levels but there isn't any feedback from my fitter, he has just brought them for sale,uniroyals aren't used so much in Greece because of the sunny weather and the average dry grip they seem to offer-moreover they are quite expensive,another pricey option for me would be the michelins ps4 but they are also very new so i don't know much about them-contis  are the most expenive and perform really well in the Greek hot and slippery roads but my god they do wear very quickly!!!

I've replaced 3 bearings thus far on O3s. All 10k plus on the clock.

The best way to identify the failed part is to drive the vehicle on a ramp and use a stethoscope on the hub to determine where the noise is originating from.

They have no play in them and are not rough when rotated.

• Like 1

Many thanks  for your advice James!! Isn't it strange though that the noise can only be heard from 95 to 105 kph?from past experiences I thought that the more the speed, the louder it gets when a bearing fails.

the thing is that the surface of the road seems to play a part Iin the occurence of the event. the mechanic in the dealership hadn't faced anything similar  in this platform so it was difficult to convince him although i mentioned to him about incidents in other octys abroad. Do you think I should probably wait for the noise to worsen before i pay them another visit and rule out the pirellis as the guilty ones?

i have had my front passenger wheel bearing replaced twice and front driver side replaced once all replaced before 6000 miles. The noise was present from 60 mph and above

Edited by allan1888

I to have pirelli p7, 17". I just bought the car but i hate them already. The noise is awful and loud, talked to the dealer about changing them. He couldent take them back, but would ask a tyre dealer to trade them in and give me a fair price on dunlop maxx tr 2(if i remenber the name right). They are specced at 6db lower, hope it helps.

So I will probably start with my tyres. As the weather here becomes hotter the pirellis are starting to spin on many occasions. are there any opinions on the fuldas sportcontrol or the new Falken azenis 510? both of them come in good price by my tyre shop but as far as the falkens are concerned he suggested i go for the 453s.

• 2 months later...

I've replaced 3 bearings thus far on O3s. All 10k plus on the clock.

The best way to identify the failed part is to drive the vehicle on a ramp and use a stethoscope on the hub to determine where the noise is originating from.

They have no play in them and are not rough when rotated.

Were they 2015 versions? Mines a 1.8Tsi 14,000 kms on the odo.

I have a wheel bearing problem and the dealer put it on the ramp and checked. It is the front passenger (left) wheel bearing. Any idea how much the part costs? ASking because the warranty process takes long is it worth the wait or just pay for it and get it replaced. 

Thanks.

Make sure you get a 4 wheel alignment every 6 months on a Hunter machine. It could be 'saw toothing' where a small amount of drag from one wheel can cause the tyres to wear unevenly in a saw tooth pattern. This is very common in VAG group cars and sounds very much like a bearing needs replacing, but is in fact the tyres rumbling on the road surface. Worth mentioning.

I have a similar issue on mine which drives me mad.  During the week I hide the issue by cranking the radio up but at the weekend with the family pretty much between 20mph and 40mph on bad roads the noise is horrendous.  As also mentioned, on rough roads it's even worse regardless of speed.  I've recently had the tyres rotated (back left to front right etc) and realigned and whilst if that was the issue I expect it to take a while to wear evenly but I still have 4mm of tread near enough all round so not wanting yet to splash the cash on new rubber. 

Couple this with the booming my driver experience is pretty poor just now...  I've already decided my next car won't be an Octavia but until then (got two years PCP left) I'll have to put up with it but a VT is defo on the cards.... It's a shame as I love the way the car drives and feels - it's just the noise and pressure that is off putting.

Mine does it too, I rotated the tyres and noticed that the rears were 'feathered' on the inside edge. The noise moved from the rear to the front.

One thing I have noticed that when I had the alignment checked the rears are set with a slight amount of toe out which would explain the tyre wear

• 3 weeks later...

Had to get the front offside bearing replaced on my Octavia Estate mk3 1.4 TSI 140 ('14 plate) about a year ago after it developed an increasing droning noise between about 40-75 mph. In the past 4 weeks the noise returned, and have just been informed by my local Skoda garage that the front nearside bearing needs to be replaced.

Fortunately both of these events have happened while the car was still under warranty, but I'm beginning to wonder if there's an inherent design flaw in the 1.4 TSI 140 that is causing front wheel bearings to fail? This is the first car I have ever owned that had failed wheel bearings, especially given that my car has done a relatively low 35,000 miles.

In my  Mk2 I had previously, one of the front bearings had to be replaced under warranty when the car was less than 2yrs old. That is not exactly "lifetime" the part was spec'd for.

• 2 years later...