What cycle app do you use?

hutchysrs50

Main thing is to investigate a bike mount/case for the phone. OK, maybe I wouldn't do that with an iPhone.... 

I've had dropping out issues but only when my phone is too buried in tools and stuff to maintain a GPS lock. Another option is to get a cheap bluetooth GPS dongle and clamp that to the bike. It'll always have a clear line of sight.

I've been using Google My Tracks but that may have been withdrawn (gits!).

I swear I'm doing the app wrong....

Tested it out before, was one ride with no stops so didn't need to worry about the stop start thing.

Opend the app

Click record at the bottom middle

It zooms in on my location

I click record

The clock starts going

I leave the app open and lock my phone with the bottom at the top (iPhone 5S)

Pop it in my pocket and away I go

Get back half an hour or so later, unlock my phone and the app says I've moved 300ft and 13 seconds have passed... POS!

I use a Bryton GPS device, I'm not bothered for distance/KOM's etc, I use it for recording my routes & working out new ones.

When I started getting back into cycling I used Endomondo, at the end of the day, all apps/devices can give different results.  My advice is get out and enjoy cycling & don't worry about the stats (unless your wanting to become a professional)

Matthew

Definitely not a professional, I struggle walking upstairs for a shower after I've been out :D

However, I enjoy looking over the stats showing my avg speed and max speed, good to see any improvement. Having the map is just a bonus really.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to update this, I still hate Strava!

Tried it twice today, usual, open the app, tracks location for abit, a whole 10 seconds today before nothing.

Unlock my phone to be greated with the app saying paused after 10 seconds. Still thinks I'm just around the corner from home.

I'm using it on my iPhone 5s but getting my upgrade to the new iPhone SE next week so might have better luck with that.

Another Strava user here, has worked flawlessly for the last 350 miles :) I use it on an iPhone 6 on a handlebar mount so good clear GPS throughout the journey. 

18.5 miles yesterday, my longest ride so far!

There is a debate about the worth of Strava and their segments I that if they can, and are, hacked and times posts through foul means, is there any worth to it?

At least a lesser app doesn't suffer from the popularity problem and issues of status and cheating that goes with it.

I suppose it depends upon how much you care about segments and how much about just recording your time and journey.

If you're purely going for KOM's then those are issues but then they're exactly the same issues you'll have with any app, I like Strava and don't care at all for KOM's or the leaderboard - I like the way it gives me a breakdown of my ride and how my performance compares on each section.  I do use it through a Garmin rather than just on my phone though so I can have a display on my handlebars.

John

Just to update this, I still hate Strava!

Tried it twice today, usual, open the app, tracks location for abit, a whole 10 seconds today before nothing.

Unlock my phone to be greated with the app saying paused after 10 seconds. Still thinks I'm just around the corner from home.

I'm using it on my iPhone 5s but getting my upgrade to the new iPhone SE next week so might have better luck with that.

have you turned off background app refresh on your phone? it sounds like it is not able to update the app in the background, hence not recording your ride after you've locked it and popped it into your bag. I would make sure that background app refresh is on and is enabled for the Strava app.

I personally love the app, I do over 60 miles per week comuting to work 3 days a week. It's great to see how i get on after every ride to see whether I beat any PB's or see how i stack up to friends who use certain sections that I do... it just makes the grim rides to work that little more bearable.

Edited by Ally_bassman

This is how my settings are...

image.png

Just been for a ride around the area to test it and it's still not recording properly!

It's logged 3 points....

My house when I start snd goes in a direct straight line to where I stopped for a minute to answer my phone ringing, then again a few meters from that and doesn't show any of my ride home.

It says I've been out for 20 seconds, done 2mph and traveld 0.2 mile in a straight line through houses, over motorways and fields.... And thinks I'm still beside the road.

I've turned autopause off this time incase that's not helping.

Do you click record at the bottom middle first..

Which goes to the load route page and zooms in on your location with the round "record" symbol in the bottom middle, click that which goes to the "time, avg speed & distance" page then just lock your phone or do you close the app then lock your phone or???

Similar position; just got back on the bike after 5 years of not riding and went with Strava as a freebie starting point and I have to say I think its great.

Very accurate, does what I need it to

I've just received a Quadlock to mount the phone on the stem now too so I can see what's going on in real-time.

post-101080-0-43106300-1466435034_thumb.png

Edited by VRS_Dan

This is how my settings are...

image.png

Just been for a ride around the area to test it and it's still not recording properly!

It's logged 3 points....

My house when I start snd goes in a direct straight line to where I stopped for a minute to answer my phone ringing, then again a few meters from that and doesn't show any of my ride home.

It says I've been out for 20 seconds, done 2mph and traveld 0.2 mile in a straight line through houses, over motorways and fields.... And thinks I'm still beside the road.

I've turned autopause off this time incase that's not helping.

Do you click record at the bottom middle first..

Which goes to the load route page and zooms in on your location with the round "record" symbol in the bottom middle, click that which goes to the "time, avg speed & distance" page then just lock your phone or do you close the app then lock your phone or???

Very strange,

I just hit record straight away, I don't even wait for it to load up. Do you get good signal where you live?

• Like 1

I have my Garmin Connect account linked to Strava, Nike Plus, mapmyfitness as I use a Garmin Forerunner 920XT Tri watch.  I stopped using my phone years ago due to battery life mainly.  I like Strava but for me it doesnt beat the stats and facts I get on Garmin Connect.

Very strange,

I just hit record straight away, I don't even wait for it to load up. Do you get good signal where you live?

Yeah, always get perfect signal, thats when i stopped actually because my phone was ringing! :D so i flew from my front door to where is topped to answer the phone and thats basically it.

Will be testing it out for jogging in about an hour so will report back when ive done that.

Thanks for the replies also, hopfully my new iphone se will load it better and solve my issues :D

I use strava, nainly because everyone uses it. If its not on strava it didnt happen [emoji12]

I have a Garmin 810 which syncs to my phone and strava instantly after a ride. I use strava on my phone too as a backup but just delete the ride after.

Ive had strava do odd things, what your describing sounds like the auto pause then the location services turning off because its paused.

I reset strava by accident one day.. This was the outcome.

ffd76610c83b57f40ebdb03092d3258c.jpg

Actual route off the Garmin..

f378c951fb1a74639258ebb9b6adc476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk