Supplementary heater

Within the climate menu there is an option to enable the Supplementary heater.

Does anyone know how it operates and what parameters enable it on cold start up as the manual does not really detail it in any fine details.

Thinking while sat here on idle at 4'c and no warm air after 1 mile......

Thanks

The supplementary heater uses the engines coolant to keep the car warm for up to 30 mins after the ignition is turned off, so unfortunately it will be no use for what you had in mind

The supplementary heater uses the engines coolant to keep the car warm for up to 30 mins after the ignition is turned off, so unfortunately it will be no use for what you had in mind

Isn't this the REST function (residual heat)?

The Webasto heater is standard/optional in countries where the winter temperatures full well below zero, unfortunately the "people" that agree the specifications/options for the UK obviously either don't think they will sell enough units or that it gets cold enough to warrant that option for us, a bit like the impressive choice of colours that some markets get that we don't!

The Webasto heater has its own remote control and I'm pretty sure that you can programme it when to turn on/off so that your vehicle is toasty warm and deiced ready for you to complete your journey in comfort on the coldest of days.

Perhaps one of our friends in Scandinavia would like to comment on its effectiveness :)

Ah right.. I thought it may of been like the mercs or Audi where you can get instant hot air when the engine is cold from an electric unit. (note not like a Webasto as that's different again)

On the BMW you get a residual heat, but that just uses the heat from the engine for 20 mins etc..

There is no need to disable it in the infotainment if there's a button to enable it on the heater controls. It does not make sense.

Edited by RickTT

The Webasto heater is standard/optional in countries where the winter temperatures full well below zero, unfortunately the "people" that agree the specifications/options for the UK obviously either don't think they will sell enough units or that it gets cold enough to warrant that option for us, a bit like the impressive choice of colours that some markets get that we don't!

The Webasto heater has its own remote control and I'm pretty sure that you can programme it when to turn on/off so that your vehicle is toasty warm and deiced ready for you to complete your journey in comfort on the coldest of days.

Perhaps one of our friends in Scandinavia would like to comment on its effectiveness :)

I'm surprised we aren't seeing a built in PTC heater as an option in the UK. Not as good as the full blown Webasto, but it will give you warm air a few seconds after starting the engine. 

I'm surprised we aren't seeing a built in PTC heater as an option in the UK. Not as good as the full blown Webasto, but it will give you warm air a few seconds after starting the engine. 

I think that in the early days of the S3 when this came to light someone in the UK was looking into how much to have one fitted by Webasto.

I bet a retrofitted Webasto would be mega £££  :o Certainly couldn't be justified in the South of the UK, maybe in our colder Northern climes perhaps. 

• Like 1

The webasto is great, never going to have a car without! Have it on our Golf GTE and Ocatvia 3. Comes as standard on L&K in norway on the Superb. Start it via Remote 20-30 minutes before departure and the car is Nice and warm and the windows are ice free.

Can also program it to start when wanted from the car.

Thank you Kires, your confirmation of how it works and the results will make Superb owners in the colder parts of the UK (North of England and Scotland) very jealous I'm sure ;)

• Like 1

A very jealous Yorkie here.  A Webasto could be offered on UK spec you would have thought. Still have heated seats though.

• Like 1

The webasto is great, never going to have a car without! Have it on our Golf GTE and Ocatvia 3. Comes as standard on L&K in norway on the Superb. Start it via Remote 20-30 minutes before departure and the car is Nice and warm and the windows are ice free.

Can also program it to start when wanted from the car.

In full agreement with Kires. We had the Webasto in our S2 and on choosing the S3 one of the main boxes we wanted ticking was the heater. It costs almost 10 000 SEK (approx. £840) but comes as standard on the L&K in Sweden. Have only used the remote to activate it and as Kires mentions after 20-30 minutes an ice free car and very comfortable in the cabin. I understand that the timer function is much easier to set in the S3 compared to the S2 so I will be trying it out next winter.

Another use of the remote and timer is that you can use it also in the summer. No, our summers are quite OK and at times even great. So it is not the Webasto that is in use rather the system cools the air intake. Very comfortable on hotter days. An adjustment in settings and its ready for use.

• Like 1

So going back on topic.... :)

So what is the Supplementary heater and how does it work.

The rest button for residual heat works regardless of if Supplementary heater is ticked or not in the infotainment setting.

The manual only states -

Automatic supplementary heater - Quick interior heating on/off

Which suggests there is some sort of electric or smart coolant system to provide quick heat.

From some research it would seem theres a couple of designs across the vag range from hose heaters, heating elements directly in the coolant (bit like a kettle).

Edited by RickTT

I think you hit the nail on the head rick its an electric element that heats the cabin heat exchanger circuit quicker so you have warm air In the cabin at the cost of using a small bit of fiel

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

My Mk3 gets warm air to the cabin way faster than my Mk2 Superb.

I remember reading about the EA288 CR150/190 engines having a clever coolant system. The main coolant pump can be disabled to allow the cylinder head to warm up much quicker than usual.

The coolant circuit is essentially split so that heat from the head gets to the heater matrix much quicker. This is known as the 'Micro Circuit'. This smaller circuit is also what provides the residual heat for the REST function, along with an electric aux coolant pump.

Note the little element symbol in the heat exchanger on the far left of the diagram. I wonder if that's some sort of aux electrical heater? 

Also, upon consulting the fuse assignment list for the box under the bonnet, fuse no.4 is marked as 'relay for electric auxiliary heater' amongst other things. Fuses 11,12, and 24 are all labelled as 'Electrical auxiliary heating system'. I think this requires further investigation, I haven't as yet checked to see if these fuses and/or the relay are actually present. 

Apparently, build code '7E6' is for 'heater element for electrical auxiliary air heater'

post-6717-0-25060500-1461764557_thumb.png

Edited by dstev2000

After a little digging around, here's the link to the technical bumpf on the EA288 engine, including that micro circuit I was on about. 

You'll need a big mug of tea and some biccies for this one, it's a really interesting read  :nerd: .

http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

• Like 1

From some research it would seem theres a couple of designs across the vag range from hose heaters, heating elements directly in the coolant (bit like a kettle).

My old Passat PD130s had some additional heating elements in the coolant; in less than a minute from start you'd have some warmish air, enough to start demisting/deicing the screen in winter.

By contrast, my old Ibiza PD130 (ie - same engine) didn't have these, and it took *ages* to warm up, especially from an icy winter departure into traffic where the engine didn't have to do much work.

I'm interested to know if our S3 (150 TDI) has any sort of coolant heater. Although with heated screen and seats, winter starts are less of an issue.

After 0.7 of a mile at 2.5'c, I have mild warm ish air when set at 29'c.

Its warmer than 16'c with ac.

However it's no way instant "hot" air like on some cars

Edited by RickTT

I've just checked the fuse box under the bonnet, and fuses 11,12 and 24 are present and correct. 

Each fuse is 40A and are labelled as 'Electrical auxiliary heating system'. 

Now, whether this is actually an electrical cabin heater is yet to be confirmed. It could be something to do with emissions as NOx levels are sky high until the car is up to operating temperature. This electrical system might just be another way to get the car's coolant up to temperature that little bit faster. Either way, the end result will be warmer air a littler quicker than usual. 

The combination of this and the 'micro circuit' is undoubtedly an improvement over previous diesel engines. 

If there was a dedicated electrical heater for the cabin, I'm pretty sure Skoda would be telling us about it as it's a pretty good selling point. 

• Like 1

And my build sheet doesn't have 7E6 or anything else to suggest an electrical heating element. 

For the moment, I am going to assume there is an electrical heater in the coolant circuit, rather than directly in the airflow to the cabin  :thumbdown: