Supplementary heater

If you have PR-7E6 then you get a 1KW electric element in the HVAC system to provide heating while the engine warms up. This is completely separate to the Webasto system.

You can see it on this diagram labelled as part 17 http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2015/768/R/8/820/820022

It should be possible to retrofit it as I've added one to my MK2 Octavia, combined with heated seats it certainly takes the edge off frosty commutes!

Older cars used a 'smart' version that just needed a 100amp supply and CAN bus connections, these are prone to failure due to solder cracking internally but easily fixed.

Newer cars use a 'dumb' version that is controlled by the engine ECU via two relays to give 330W, 660W or 1KW of heating depending on heating and electrical load.

Edited by langers2k

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I picked up a new SEL Exec 190 DSG yesterday (I will post the problems on collection with car separately) and it does have the auxillary heater. I do not have a heated windscreen so guessing by the other posts that these two items are linked.

I don't remember seeing anything in the brochure about this heater or the issue as it seems that having the heated windscreen means you don't get the heater.

You probably mean the electric heater that comes with diesels in general. (If you spec it with a diesel here, you lose the electric heater)

The webasto auxiliary heater that can be remote activated and uses fuel, costs ~1000€ extra.

• Like 1

I have all 3 options on my settings screen; aux heating, auto recirculation, auto windscreen heater.

MY 2017 2.0 TDI 190HP L&K (1 month old)

And that just chucks a spanner in the works for working out which models has it or not!

I have all 3 options on my settings screen; aux heating, auto recirculation, auto windscreen heater.

MY 2017 2.0 TDI 190HP L&K (1 month old)

Is that the webasto heater though? (not an option in the UK) 

You probably mean the electric heater that comes with diesels in general. (If you spec it with a diesel here, you lose the electric heater)

The webasto auxiliary heater that can be remote activated and uses fuel, costs ~1000€ extra.

I was calling it what it says on the screen, "Automatic Auxiliary Heater." It is not called an electric heater (although that is more accurate).

It might be one of market selectable options, in the same way that the Webasto heater is not an option for U.K. cars but is on the Continent as their winters are generally much colder.

I think this could be the case - we are used to here in Norway that private imports, from Germany or other countries, don't have 'cold climate packages' (I'm speaking in general here, about different car brands/models), so they might have a weaker battery, a weaker alternator, no auxiliary heater (both in terms of a heater that starts *with* the engine to speed up the coolant heating, but also heaters that are possible to activate remotely or by a timer), no heated seats, no heated windshield nozzles, etc. Even though the model name is exactly the same. Again, I don't know if this is the actual case with Skoda, but I know it's the case with some models from BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, and others.

Christopher

Just had a play with VCDS and look what I have found:

Before:

IMG_2331_zpsioukh29y.jpg

Now:

IMG_2347_zps06bgr4xz.jpg

So I have ticked the “Automatic auxiliary heater” box and done a scan... no fault codes, will find out later if the car warms up any earlier or if it is missing some hardware.

• Like 3

Hello from Winter Wonderland!

This is my first post here, please be gentle with me :|

I just received my Superb my 2017 with a "Winter packet". In Finland this means a Webasto (running off the main fuel tank) plus an electrically heated windscreen.

As said earlier in this thread, the Webasto can be started via programming in the car or via a remote control. What may not have been said is that the in-car programming does not set the start time of heating but the time the car is to be ready, and the controller takes into account the outside temperature to start the Webasto at the right time so that the car is ready at the desired time.

This is my second car with an electrically heated windscreen. The first was a Mondeo about 20 years ago. In the Mondeo the heating wires generated odd light patterns from the headlights of cars coming in the opposite direction, but the new Superb does not seem to suffer from that problem.

All my previous cars from 1971 had a sort of immersion heater inserted through a plug at the bottom of the engine, for mains-powered heating, but the new Superb does not have this plug anymore. You could argue that the Webasto is more convenient because it doesn't need electricity. The problem is, however, that the Webasto needs battery power. If you use the car for commuting, or mostly for short trips, the alternator can't charge the battery and you need mains electricity to charge the battery.

Regards,

Antero

Vantaa, Finland

Edited by Antero52

will find out later if the car warms up any earlier or if it is missing some hardware.

Not tried any logs or tests with VCDS, but the car still takes between 6 - 7 miles to reach 90°, so it looks like extra hardware is needed.

For those without heated windscreen, how many miles does it take for yours to get to 90°? 

Hi, took 3.5 miles to get to 90 (oil took 7.5) but first 2 miles of my commute are uphill so will affect this as I know from my previous car, going the other way which is gentle downhill for 2 miles took longer. A more scientific way may be using an OBD with say a 5 min idle from cold to see how it affects it.

So I have ticked the “Automatic auxiliary heater” box and done a scan... no fault codes, will find out later if the car warms up any earlier or if it is missing some hardware.

I expect you're missing the 1KW element.

Surprised there are no fault codes. If it's wired as I think it is on the MK3 Superb, I'd expect open circuit faults for the two relays.

I checked mine this morning. Ambient temp was 7.5 C so not cold.

2.0l 150DSG L&K. 4q15 production. Have the same set up as Gizmo68's pre VCDS change above. 

Water temp rose quickly to about 30-40 C within 3 miles. Then stabilised and rose gradually to 90C by 11 miles.

Warm air was available after the first 3 miles.

This suggest to me that the system is working as designed. (see extract below from the self study sheets for the EA288 engine) 

It would be very strange if the top model didn't have something as simple as a 1kw heater when it appears to be standard on other models. That makes me wonder whether there is any hardware fitted in those cars that have the option available in the software.

If the engine is cold, the thermal management starts with the micro-circuit, allowing for fast heating of the engine and the passenger compartment. During this fast heating of the coolant, the coolant thermostat remains closed to the radiator. The circulation of the coolant in the large circuit is prevented by the modulating piston of the switchable coolant pump being pushed over the pump impeller. The resultant “static coolant” heats quickly ensuring that the engine does too. The coolant in the micro-circuit is moved by the V488 Heater Support Pump. This pump is actuated by the ECM as needed, depending on the coolant temperature in the cylinder head. The requested passenger compartment temperature is provided by the Climatronic control module and is taken into account when actuating V488 

I can't work out from this thread what UK cars should have this check box option for supplementary heater. Mine is a 1.4 ACT petrol engine SE L ordered with optional front heated screen. It was delivered December 2015, but my air con menu set up doesn't have the third entry for supplementary heater. In saying that, being petrol it warms up pretty quickly compared with diesel so maybe would not be specified anyhow.

I can't work out from this thread what UK cars should have this check box option for supplementary heater. Mine is a 1.4 ACT petrol engine SE L ordered with optional front heated screen. It was delivered December 2015, but my air con menu set up doesn't have the third entry for supplementary heater. In saying that, being petrol it warms up pretty quickly compared with diesel so maybe would not be specified anyhow.

Diesel only :)

I checked mine this morning. Ambient temp was 7.5 C so not cold.

2.0l 150DSG L&K. 4q15 production. Have the same set up as Gizmo68's pre VCDS change above. 

Water temp rose quickly to about 30-40 C within 3 miles. Then stabilised and rose gradually to 90C by 11 miles.

Warm air was available after the first 3 miles.

This suggest to me that the system is working as designed. (see extract below from the self study sheets for the EA288 engine) 

It would be very strange if the top model didn't have something as simple as a 1kw heater when it appears to be standard on other models. That makes me wonder whether there is any hardware fitted in those cars that have the option available in the software.

If the engine is cold, the thermal management starts with the micro-circuit, allowing for fast heating of the engine and the passenger compartment. During this fast heating of the coolant, the coolant thermostat remains closed to the radiator. The circulation of the coolant in the large circuit is prevented by the modulating piston of the switchable coolant pump being pushed over the pump impeller. The resultant “static coolant” heats quickly ensuring that the engine does too. The coolant in the micro-circuit is moved by the V488 Heater Support Pump. This pump is actuated by the ECM as needed, depending on the coolant temperature in the cylinder head. The requested passenger compartment temperature is provided by the Climatronic control module and is taken into account when actuating V488 

My car is up at 90'c after 3 miles and oil temp from memory around 80'c

I will try and do a test this evening however I know there is roadworks on the route home!!