Odd droning noise - seems linked to road speed

davehutch

Hi all,long time no speak. A few weeks ago I started hearing a droning noise at particular road speeds, e.g. 27mph, 40mph, 50mph in particular.

It's quite loud and actually louder than the engine. A definite low drone at a particular frequency

If I dip the clutch, the noise remains at the same pitch and then lowers as the road speed lowers, so I don't believe it's linked to engine speed.

Citygate Skoda in Watford assured me it needed two new rear tyres as the alignment was out and they were mis-shapen.

Unfortunately, the noise is still the same and I'm now £380 down.

They are collecting again in a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd ask for ideas, as the garage seems at a bit of a loss so far. be nice to point them in the right direction :)

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have what I would describe as a metallic ringing, only happens intermittently and when weather warmer. That is def linked to engine speed as when happens it can do it standing still in neutral! Can't be heard outside the car or if doors are open. Dealer has confirmed it and spent 3 days looking for it without luck.

Sent mainly by pure luck using Tapatalk

Tyres all correct pressure, two of them new  :devil: and the other two still have 4mm of tread. My wife feels a bit of vibration through the accelerator...I'm not so sure, or maybe not so sensitive

Tyres all correct pressure, two of them new  :devil: and the other two still have 4mm of tread. My wife feels a bit of vibration through the accelerator...I'm not so sure, or maybe not so sensitive

Which 2 are worn? If they're on the back, then you might have "saw-toothing". Try swapping them side to side (not if they're directional) if the blocks look more worn one side of the transverse grooves than the other.

Also check at all 6 TWIs on each tyre, in case one tyre is out of round.

It sounds like it must be wheel or tyre related. Have you checked the fronts for any bulges? Just a small one would cause vibration or noise. With only 4mm left of tread it would be worth changing them soon anyway. If you have a spare wheel, you could swop it with the fronts one at a time to see if the droning disappears.

Edited by Smokeyjoe

The garage has already checked and aligned all of them

if they have been out of alignment I would check that the tyres haven't "castleated/saw toothed", as that can cause a droning noise.

I'm of the front tyre camp as well.

Amazing how noisy uneven tyres can be. I've been convinced in the past that it was a wheel bearing when it was the tyres.

Tyres are much quieter generally nowadays unless worn unevenly.

Get the garage to put 4 wheels from a used car on your car. Surely got to be a clear way of proving if it's a tyre issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had another thought. Post your approx location and there may be an owner willing to put their winters on your car. If you are near Nottingham let me be the first to offer.

I am in st albans and have a set of annapurnas with nokians on and am planning to sell them but would happily loan them to you for a test comparison-pm if I can help. 

Get the garage to put 4 wheels from a used car on your car. Surely got to be a clear way of proving if it's a tyre issue.

Good idea. I'll suggest it

I am in st albans and have a set of annapurnas with nokians on and am planning to sell them but would happily loan them to you for a test comparison-pm if I can help.

Very kind of you. I'll ask the garage first as they should make the effort

I sometimes get a moaning sound from the passenger seat if there are too many cars going passed me.

(glad you seem to be on the way to a solution with the offer of temporary swops)

'fraid so.

£69 inspection fee (deducted from final cost)

£145 per tyre (Michelin Primacy 225/50 17)

£99 alignment and blanking of four wheels

Once you take the initial inspection fee into account, Kwik-fit would have only been £17 cheaper.

Hi all,long time no speak. A few weeks ago I started hearing a droning noise at particular road speeds, e.g. 27mph, 40mph, 50mph in particular.

It's quite loud and actually louder than the engine. A definite low drone at a particular frequency

If I dip the clutch, the noise remains at the same pitch and then lowers as the road speed lowers, so I don't believe it's linked to engine speed.

Citygate Skoda in Watford assured me it needed two new rear tyres as the alignment was out and they were mis-shapen.

Unfortunately, the noise is still the same and I'm now £380 down.

They are collecting again in a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd ask for ideas, as the garage seems at a bit of a loss so far. be nice to point them in the right direction :)

Thanks in advance

Dave

I've had what I think was a similar noise that's gradually been getting louder over the past 12 months. it's road speed related, not gear related. Sounded a bit like a Land Rover on knobbly tyres!

Back to garage 3 times, couldn't find a fault, finally couldn't stand it any longer and despite having a new Yeti on order i decided my conscience wouldn't allow me to pass on the car with the fault.

Back to garage....  spotted straight away this time that it was front nearside wheel bearing. Had it replaced and all is perfect again & fuel economy has suddenly improved too.

I was staggered to find the Skoda parts were £115 + vat, but on searching 3rd party suppliers like ECP etc, they were even more expensive. The bearing has to be "coded" to the ABS etc before fitting.

I was rather disappointed that they couldn't find the fault 12 months & 10,000 miles ago when i could hear it clearly, but at least I am now selling the car with a clear conscience.

Apparently the difficulty in diagnosing the fault is that even on a lift with all 4 wheels off the ground, there's such drag in the 4x4 transmission that it's virtually impossible to feel or hear a faulty bearing when turning wheels by hand, until it gets really noisy. Mine had finally got to that stage.

So, you may have a wheel bearing on its way out...... Good luck proving it!

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So....turns out it was one of the front wheel bearings. They only charged for parts, after a brief "discussion"

Top marks Speedsport!

Edited by davehutch
  • Like 1

Glad to be of assistance Dave.

I don't always get it right but it's good when I do!!  Shame I didn't manage to convince my Skoda agent earlier that my Yeti's wheel bearing was failing, but it's easy to be wise after the event!!