Windows 10 discussion and advice

@Lee

Bin Cortana search bar, notification tab/button, all the added games crap in the start bar for starters.

Speed up logging in by using a pin or other easy login method (might not be able to if you connect to an exchange/enterprise network)

• Like 2

POS, I upgraded, downgraded after a couple of days because I couldn't play NFS without it crashing! It still doesn't work the way it did before going to WIndows 10 now, why do we have to upgrade anyway? I saw bugger all in terms of improvements, just looked more modern

POS, I upgraded, downgraded after a couple of days because I couldn't play NFS without it crashing! It still doesn't work the way it did before going to WIndows 10 now, why do we have to upgrade anyway? I saw bugger all in terms of improvements, just looked more modern

I tried it on my main PC and a laptop a few times and thought the same but; I downloaded windows classic shell which makes it feel more 7 ish.

New laptop has the same classic shell, no problems, seems faster and so far after two weeks no crashes or hangs.

recently upgraded my main PC from Win 7 32 bit to Win 10 32 bit. CPU, mobo etc is 64 bit capable, in fact I had a copy of Win 7 64 bit running on it. Trying to migrate this Win 10 from 32 bit to 64 bit without success so far using this guide

So far no dice,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Just to update. Tried umpteen times to get Win 10 64 bit running on the tower. There was an issue that I traced back to a dodgy HDD. Installed Win 7 64 bit on a different HDD but Win 10 64 still won't install on the PC despite it being capable.

Formatted the dodgy HDD from within the other HDD, reinstalled Win 7 64 on that yet still no go with 10 64.

Now running Win 10 32 bit on it and testing. No crashes thusfar, all the ASUS drivers, Intel Chipset etc updated without issue.

Might be time for a new Mobo for the tower I reckon.

• 1 month later...

Win 10 does not like booting from ACHI?...try IDE mode for the SATA controlers to get it to boot, but rememebr to swap back to ACHI? before you restart agaiin, eg go back into the BIOS. Loads on the web, had this problem myself as it would freze virtually for several hours trying to do the system image from the exterlan harddrive which is on a PCIe card with ESATA connections to the external caddy. Swap to the MOBO USB ports & as fast a install as the back-up took!

Still having problems with Edge not cntl + C or V of text or web URLs into say this post from another website, article...

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

That above only does it when I paste straight after the last text & not on a clear space!......That article is very good as it has the uninstall powershell commands to remove some of the stubborn apps!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Win10 just gave me a heart attack/high blood pressure............... :@

Turned off computer all ok about 5pm, turned back on 8pm, long start up & screen stating "preparing windows".

Finally loads & hey presto default new win10 screen, so all background images, shortcuts apps etc GONE, looked in the library & ALL locations to "pictures", Music etc GONE....

Basically a blank new install WTF???

Panic set in, loads of thoughts in mind, but I have "Pro" version set to "notify", & defer for updates etc, check up dates, new version of "one drive" which I don't use now installed...

Open task manager, loads of win services stuff going on, so wait until it all calms down, then restart, & hey presto, all my original desktop, locations as I left it at 5PM...........

FECKING Mircosh1te................... :wall:

• Like 1

for info

The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 2016

The next major update to Windows 10 - the Windows 10 Anniversary Update - is coming on the 2nd of August 2016

John

for info

The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 2016

The next major update to Windows 10 - the Windows 10 Anniversary Update - is coming on the 2nd of August 2016

John

And it must be installed, not just downloaded I understand.

• 2 months later...

Ok word of warning the windows 10 so called anniversary package will take an AGE to install, and im talking of about 3-4 hours so people just hang on in there it does work a treat.

And yes i went out shopping and let windows do its thing 

p.s. Dont forget it will ask later if you want to remove your old windows (to create space) my advice leave it until your happy with new version before deleting if you have the space

• 2 weeks later...

How to disable automatic updates:

The Anniversary upgrade has finally been rolled out here in the Arctic provinces. Smoothly (took an hour or so) and no obvious issues, EXCEPT:

On Win 10 Pro, it has hitherto been possible to disable automatic updates, just receiving a notification that updates are available. This option is gone with the Anniversary upgrade (still available if you're running Win10 Enterprise, I think).

I don't want to get stuck in an updating process if turning on the PC for just a few minutes' work, and I prefer being able to check an update before it's installed. But there's a simple workaround. Win10 will not update automatically if you're on a metered connection, e.g. a mobile broadband where you pay per MB. And with a few simple steps in regedit you can make Windows believe that your LAN connection is metered. Here's an instruction (read the caveats too!):

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-your-pc/

Not sure if this means that I'll get notifications in the future, that remains to be seen. If not, I'll just check for updates monthly or so.

EDIT: Yes, today I got a notification, just as before the Anniversary upgrade.

Edited by swedishskoda

• Administrators

Well today after; well however long 10 has been available, I've had a BSOD, not one but four! I'm on the insider preview ( fast ) updates preview version... so I guess that version is toast.

Still ubuntu shell still works so I can ssh out of it. Spotify opens... enough windows magic already.

Other than that I've not had any complaints... but I do run a fullscreen bunsenlabs vm do actually do any work :D

• 5 weeks later...

I have it running on two machines and I like it apart from one machine where every update removes my AMD Catalyst control centre - can anyone help?

I have it running on two machines and I like it apart from one machine where every update removes my AMD Catalyst control centre - can anyone help?

Can't help only to say I've never had an issue with it an the AMD Catalyst CC.

Is the AMD software up to date?

Mine is on 2015.0804.21.41908

• 4 weeks later...

Had a few BSOD after a update, but then found out what was causing it (driver issues), went and downloaded the relevant new drivers (audio, bluetooth, video) and installed them all and nothing since.

Done more updates since and not a single BSOD has occurred. I just put it down to a dodgy update of which there have been a few and which MS did replace and like I said no problems since.

As for installing I just buy a OEM copy of the OS, relatively cheap and quick to install should I need it.

• 1 month later...

Suppose it had to happen.

My Windows 10 has gone wobbly in a very irritating way.

The installer service is borked or possibly something it's trying to install is borked. I assume a Windows update.

The Installer service fires up every time I run the machine and runs both cores at 25%. Nothing is stated as being installed. One patch is outstanding, an Excel 2010 update which I've tried to add several times manually but it fails to complete and gives Error 1719 when I kill it.

But this means I can't install or uninstall anything else now becasue the service is fecked. Tried numerous suggestions and fixes on line to no success.

Looking at a full reinstall which I really can't be arsed with.