Superb service frequency

Hi all,

Just bought a 2012 1.6 Superb Elegance estate with 76500 miles on the clock from BCA

Great car!!

It has main dealer FSH x 3 however as this is my first Skoda, and my first diesel I dont know when to do a major service ( belts, etc.) All my the petrols so far had to have belts and all changed at 60K 

It has had regular servicing( oil change and the rest) no mention of belts being replaced.

Your help is much appreciated

Many thanks

• Like 1

Timing belt every 60k miles (100k km)

Every garage when u leave car for debris they will check for u what servos have to be done so there is nothing to worry

Not 100% sure with the 1.6 but on the 2.0 it's 60k miles or 5 years for the timing belt and water pump on a 2012 car.

Not 100% sure with the 1.6 but on the 2.0 it's 60k miles or 5 years for the timing belt and water pump on a 2012 car.

I asked my local dealer's service department about the timing belt on the CFGB engine and they said it was due at 210000 km, with no time limit. I'm not quite sure if I believe them.

Skoda UK have always given different info compared to Skoda Ireland though so not sure what your recommended intervals are.

Skoda UK have always given different info compared to Skoda Ireland though so not sure what your recommended intervals are.

That's the truly stupid thing about it. It's the same car with the same engine so there should be no difference.

• Like 2

Like you, I have a 1.6 CR diesel - engine code "CAYC", in my Superb Elegance estate as well. No complaints here either.

The service chief at the dealers i got it from told me the rule with the 1.6 CAYC common rail diesel was 140,000 miles (210,000 km) and between 4-5 years.

The reason for saying 4-5 years is that they would change it if the car was in for service once 4 years was up but they wouldn't leave it after 5.

(We had this discussion as the salesman I was dealing with had been asking me if the belt on my 525d trade in had been done. I'd been overheard telling him that was a VW 60K mile thing and the BMW engine cams were chain driven, not belt driven. The service chief was telling me how things had improved with VAG belts and some salesman were telling people the cars had a "lifetime belt" , though he didn't agree with them doing that).

Edited by TheRobinK

I presume that Skoda may be the same as my Seat Leon was, every 4 years was recommended. . Mine had about 35000 on

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I presume that Skoda may be the same as my Seat Leon was, every 4 years was recommended. . Mine had about 35000 on

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Skoda UK changed from four years to five years for the cambelt with cars built after something like September 2010. I know mine just fell into the new guidelines as it was built end of October 2010.

Timing belt every 60k miles (100k km)

Every garage when u leave car for debris they will check for u what servos have to be done so there is nothing to worry

Where are you both getting 60,000 miles from? I've never known a cambelt interval as low as that on a modern VAG diesel engine.

Be warned that dealers are incentivised to quote low mileage intervals as they get your money earlier and more often.

The only accurate way to get the true mileage interval is to contact Skoda UK quoting your VIN...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Here was the response for my 2011 CR140 diesel...

Re: ŠKODA Superb 2011 2.0 TDi CR140

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the recommended interval for changing the timing belt on your vehicle. Please accept

my apologies for the delay in our response.

I have spoken with our Technical Support Team and I can confirm that the recommended timing belt interval for your vehicle is

five years or 140,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I hope this information proves useful. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the

number below.

Yours sincerely

Joanne Wilby

Customer Relations Advisor

ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

Tel: +44 (0)333 0037 504

[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

Time wise there is a blanket 4 year interval on cars registered before September 2010 which increased to 5 years for all cars registered after this date.

This applies to the UK only.

Hi all,

Just bought a 2012 1.6 Superb Elegance estate with 76500 miles on the clock from BCA

Great car!!

It has main dealer FSH x 3 however as this is my first Skoda, and my first diesel I dont know when to do a major service ( belts, etc.) All my the petrols so far had to have belts and all changed at 60K 

It has had regular servicing( oil change and the rest) no mention of belts being replaced.

Your help is much appreciated

Many thanks

There are two service intervals:

Fixed - 12 months or 60,000 miles, whichever is reached first.

Variable - Upto 2 years or 20,000 miles. Car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil.

If your car has 76,000 miles on it and has had 3 services then it has been set to variable, ideal for high motorway mileage which it looks like your car has been doing.

What is your annual mileage? If it is less than 12,000 miles I'd be changing to a fixed interval to ensure it gets fresh oil at least once every 12 months. The engine oil is the lifeblood of the engine and turbo.

Service items include:

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Filter

Pollen Filter

Fuel Filter

Brake fluid is at 3 years old and then every two years, the cambelt and waterpump varies by engine and production year.

At 4 years old and 76,000 miles there is every chance that the car is still on the original air, fuel and pollen filters. Dealer ability varies massively. Most of the filters should have been changed at 3 years / 60,000 miles (approx, check your service booklet for the exact mileage/time) but they are missed more often than you'd think.

For the sake of £149 for a minor service, plus £100 for the extra 3 filters I'd get it done now and be assured the car is fully serviced...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

If you are feeling adventurous then it is very, very easy to swap out the pollen and air filters yourself. The fuel filter is a little more fiddly but still very easy for a competent DIY'er...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/346425-oil-and-air-filter-change-skoda-superb-cr140-cffb/

£75     Oil and filter      15,000

£150   Oil and all filters 30,000

£75     Oil and filter       45,000

£150   Oil and all filters 60,000

£75     Oil and filters      75,000

£395   Cambelt/water pump/all filters and oil 90,000

All VAG parts and Castrol oil

Services 90k miles about £900, tyres also £900, £1800 for 90,000 miles is......?p/mile?

There are two service intervals:

Fixed - 12 months or 60,000 miles, whichever is reached first.

Variable - Upto 2 years or 20,000 miles. Car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil.

If your car has 76,000 miles on it and has had 3 services then it has been set to variable, ideal for high motorway mileage which it looks like your car has been doing.

What is your annual mileage? If it is less than 12,000 miles I'd be changing to a fixed interval to ensure it gets fresh oil at least once every 12 months. The engine oil is the lifeblood of the engine and turbo.

Service items include:

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Filter

Pollen Filter

Fuel Filter

Brake fluid is at 3 years old and then every two years, the cambelt and waterpump varies by engine and production year.

At 4 years old and 76,000 miles there is every chance that the car is still on the original air, fuel and pollen filters. Dealer ability varies massively. Most of the filters should have been changed at 3 years / 60,000 miles (approx, check your service booklet for the exact mileage/time) but they are missed more often than you'd think.

For the sake of £149 for a minor service, plus £100 for the extra 3 filters I'd get it done now and be assured the car is fully serviced...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

£75     Oil and filter      15,000

£150   Oil and all filters 30,000

£75     Oil and filter       45,000

£150   Oil and all filters 60,000

£75     Oil and filters      75,000

£395   Cambelt/water pump/all filters and oil 90,000

All VAG parts and Castrol oil

Services 90k miles about £900, tyres also £900, £1800 for 90,000 miles is......?p/mile?

Thank you for the comprehensive answers. My service indicator says that next one is due in 1k miles or 360 days.

As I don't believe/trust franchise dealerships I will entrust the mechanic who has been servicing my cars for the past 20 years to change all (belts, filters, pads, fluids) and at least will know that has been been done with care.

KR 

PS, I would like to update and add EC maps to my media/sat-nav unit, Any pointers?

Where are you both getting 60,000 miles from? I've never known a cambelt interval as low as that on a modern VAG diesel engine.

My mistake I meant to put 80k but I don't know where I got that from now to be honest..... Unless it's from the mk1 Fabia vRS we have???? Anyhow I was right with the four years to five years changeover. ;)

My mistake I meant to put 80k but I don't know where I got that from now to be honest..... Unless it's from the mk1 Fabia vRS we have???? Anyhow I was right with the four years to five years changeover. ;)

The Fabia would be the culprit - my brother has one as well as a Polo of the same vintage - and both are definitely 60K mile changes. I had a little Lupo (2002) for awhile and that was definitely a 60K mile belt change as well. 

• Like 1

Thought it was 4 years for the timing belt?

Thought it was 4 years for the timing belt?

No, Skoda changed it from 4 years to 5 years on cars built after September 2010. ;)

• Like 2

FWIW when I've had a car (all non VAG cars) with a belt driven cam I've always used a torch and a look/feel to see how the belt is. 'Ropey', cracked a bit or simply 'hard' and off she comes.

That's quite a mileage/time interval for a belt change but I suppose with modern technologies and materials etc. etc. You will probably have an issue with idler pullies or tensioner pullies (bearings) before the belt gives out at 140,000 miles and you'll hear those rattling away. So change the belt then ;)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

What engine oils are You using for 125kw engine, other then castrol titanium edge 5w-30? What other brand is recommended?

Thx

From Tapatalk

Anything with VW 507.00 on the spec chart on the bottle.

All DPF engined VAG cars need this spec of oil (low ash).

The stuff the franchised dealers use is Quantum and 5 litres of it can be picked up from the Audi dealer in Cardiff here for peanuts...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172180841695?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm looking to get my oil changed and will use an oil which meets the VW 507 00 specification but how do people further differentiate between the different brands?

I'm happy to pay a premium if it brings additional value but so far I’ve not come across any information to rationally make a comparison between brands.

I'm looking to get my oil changed and will use an oil which meets the VW 507 00 specification but how do people further differentiate between the different brands?

I'm happy to pay a premium if it brings additional value but so far I’ve not come across any information to rationally make a comparison between brands.

Make sure it's 507 00 approved - there are oils out there marketed as meeting 507 00 standards but they have never been submitted to VW for testing to confirm this. Beyond that, it should be full synthetic (I'm pretty sure all 507 00 oils are fully synthetic but it's no harm to check).

I think beyond that people have their favourite brands but there's little enough to differentiate objectively between them. IIRC Skoda recommend Castrol Edge now, but they used to recommend Shell too.

• Like 1