No CD in vRS

A mate of mine test rode an Octavia, really liked it but then found out he couldnt get a CD option so ended up getting an Astra which he admits isnt a patch on the Octy but he MUST have a CD player, I dunno some people are funny.

Bit extreme that. Bloody narked about it, but it would never have been a deal breaker for me. Music is secondary. The driving and ownership experience is vastly more important, and scores well so far....albeit only 24 hours.

Trouble is, unlike a cd case, you can't see what you are about to play.

Separate sd card for each cd, and then write on the box in tiny tiny writing is my only thought perhaps?

In that case, I'm going to have approx 70 tiny sd card boxes in my glovebox! :x

Unless you have a giant collection, you can fit all your cds on a single sd-card or usb-stick.

And its fast and easy to browse the music on the infotainment screen.

Someone here can probably point you to good guide for ripping your cds.

The whole VW group is bining CD slots, also other manufacturers.I drive end of lease cars around the country for a living, and have noticed it's an increasing problem for non techy folk.

I have a 32gb SD card with a mix of single tracks so it's like radio without the verbal c..p of a DJ. Then a 64gb USB with all my albums on. Works a treat. I do have a CD slot but don't use it.I remember when every bit of space in the car was taken up with cassette tapes, then copy cd's in plastic sleeves that would spill all over the place. SD & USB definitely an improvement. I even take a USB music stick to work when moving cars long distances.

• Like 1

Copied them all in a morning?!

How many?

How long to do each one?

How do you do it then, as I don't appear to have an sd slot in my pooter, and even my youngest who is reasonably up to speed on these matters doesn't know either! :no:

Trouble is, unlike a cd case, you can't see what you are about to play.

Separate sd card for each cd, and then write on the box in tiny tiny writing is my only thought perhaps?

In that case, I'm going to have approx 70 tiny sd card boxes in my glovebox! :x

I'm really not liking the idea of this format, but I DO appreciate that you lot do seem to, and yes, I also appreciate the space they save and also that presumably they can't get damaged during normal use?

I haven't got many cds but I found an old 2gb sd card and managed to fit 430 tracks on it - it was just a case of setting windows media player on my laptop to autorip in mp3 format > load cd > wait for it to complete then load the next cd, it saved each album in my music folder then luckily I have an SD card slot on my laptop place sd card in this slot then copied all files from music to sd card - if you have a usb stick then that will work the same, very easy to browse through albums on the infotainment unit

Edited by Cain79

I'm 38, but I like the cd slot as I don't like the quality you get from MP3 or similar format. I always set my iTunes to the higher bit rate as the std setting gives terrible sound to the music.

• Like 1

I'm 38, but I like the cd slot as I don't like the quality you get from MP3 or similar format. I always set my iTunes to the higher bit rate as the std setting gives terrible sound to the music.

If you encode at a low bitrate then you will get poor quality playback..... Just encode it at a higher bitrate.....

My youngest has discovered that he's got a slot in his laptop,for these SD cards, so we're going to 'experiment' tomorrow night. :happy:

Edited by Adenuf
  • Like 2

I am getting on really well with the Car Play from my phone. I have a 128Gb iPhone to fit all my music at a reasonable bit rate (800 albums-ish) so just plug this in when I get in and have everything at my fingertips. Can't remember the last time I used or bought a CD tbh

• Like 1

You can get a USB card reader for a couple of pound from Amazon, you insert the SD card into the reader which then plugs into the USB port of your computer and away you go, copy all your files and your away. Unmount the reader when done and remove the card, plug the card in to the car and job done.

No one has even mentioned bringing back the old 8 track yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I jus put all my music on a SD card. 7 hours of music on my 16GB card and there is plenty more space. At first I was a bit miffed at having no CD but all you need do is buy the CD RIP to the SD card and then put the CD back in it's case nice and safe.

Edited by davitc
  • Like 1

You can get a USB card reader for a couple of pound from Amazon, you insert the SD card into the reader which then plugs into the USB port of your computer and away you go, copy all your files and your away. Unmount the reader when done and remove the card, plug the card in to the car and job done.

YAY!! :dance:

I never actually had one sadly :notme:

Edited by Adenuf

I had something called a Discotech back in the 70's which was a portable battery operated 45rpm vinyl player.

It'd probably be worth a fortune now. Total DB's of its time. :D

• Like 1

I just use music streaming service on my phone connected by Bluetooth, can get pretty much anything I would want to listen to. Even tunes from the 70's lol

As far as I know only Homer Simpson and my grandad ever had an 8-track cartridge player in their car.

I used to have miniDisc :x

Get with the modern world, daddio. Recommend you use the Sony media software to convert CD's to 256-kbit AAC/M4A format. Its a free download from here: http://mediago.sony.com/enu/download

You can buy SD cards cheap these days, I would go for a 64GByte from a reputable on-line shop.

• Like 1

Mk7 Golf and Leon MIB2 units still carry CD players....it's just Skoda I think who have done away with them.

Yep - got a CD in my MY16 (MIB2) Leon.  Still got a load of stuff on an SD card though, that's if I can't find something decent to listen to on DAB having recently found Absolute 80's and Kisstory - that's the retro music sorted generally.

Yep - got a CD in my MY16 (MIB2) Leon.  Still got a load of stuff on an SD card though, that's if I can't find something decent to listen to on DAB having recently found Absolute 80's and Kisstory - that's the retro music sorted generally.

Number ONE on my screen.

Smooth 2nd

Edited by Adenuf

Whilst my older Columbus does have a CD player I normally use my old 160gb iPod classic or my phone streaming but via the aux cable as the Bluetooth is a bit crackly for some reason and has been on three phones I've tried (Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and my wife's G3) it sort of comes and goes. The phone is still connected via Bluetooth for hands free though.

Think I've only used the CD slot once or twice...

Well. I'm halfway towards joining the modern world now.  :D

Bought myself a 'thing' that plugs into the USB port, that you slide the new SD card into  that I also purchased!

It's a WHOPPER' apparently. 32 GB's!  :nerd:

I now have to wait for a youngster to come home to show just how I'm supposed to sort out all these options on the screen to start recording cd's now..

I'm sorry I'm SSSSSSSO dim on these matters, but I am trying....VERY some say. :blush:

Spent a while transferring 4 CD's onto this card last night with the help of my youngest.

It didn't go particularly smoothly as we were both playing in the dark a little bit. Exact route has to be taken it seems, but we thought we'd managed it.

Lobbed the card into the slot, selected SD2 when instructed, but all I got was 10 minutes of "loading".

Gave up in the end.

Someone I know has offered to physically show me how to do it in a few days time, so I will go 'round to his, note pad in hand.

He's muttering ...."Sounds like a format issues just need to get them to MP3 and it should work fine"

I haven't got an MP3 player though.so I haven't got the foggiest what he's going on about.

All this is completely going  over my head.

SO much easier just simply throwing a CD in, agghh  :wall:

Edited by Adenuf