Damn new car as arrived but not exactly as ordered

I guess the interesting question would be 'what does the order form say?'

I had to check the form and sign it to say I was happy with what had been specced and agreed to the order.

The dealer had lost a sale a few weeks earlier where they had ordered an estate instead of what the customer wanted which was a hatchback vrs. Even though they had the signed order form stating the estate was specced they offered the car at a further discount or a new car ordered at a similar price. To be fair they had ordered what the guy had requested and checked but still have him his deposit back. They apparently sold the estate within the week. I think they are a fairly good dealer.

Buying a new car is a big deal for me. Any dealer that thinks they can make a mistake as simple as that go away for £50 is having a laugh. If people are continually happy to bend over and accept it then they will always do it.

If I was somehow a salesman, & had ordered the wrong spec I'd think I got off lightly if someone rolled over for a tank of fuel. Hell I'd pay so little myself for it to go away and laugh my arse off at my good fortune!

Yep, that sounds a good result for you for whatever it was for. For me, in this case, waiting 12 weeks for a colour screen that's occasionally used is the second best option here.

Occasionally used?? After the road, the Speedo and possibly the fuel gauge its the most looked at thing in the car! What track is on? Outside temp? Range? Average mpg? Sat nav data? .......

• Like 2

On a mk3 ? Skoda uk generally don't like retrofits the answer is usually always no it can't be fitted unless it has been fitted at the factory

Yep a Mk3 component protection lifted and problem fixed, down to the dealer really, if the dealer has made a mistake, Skoda should let them fix it. Depends on how much the dealer wants to do it but it is possible.

If my order was messed up then maxidot would be the item I could most easily live without. You still get all of the info you need, just in retro black & white. There many far worse things to mess up on.

• Like 1

It's a dealer **** up so compensation/goodwill gestures are funded by the dealership. I would be dealing with the dealer principle to be sure things were being taken seriously and not brushed under the carpet.

As stated in another comment you buy a new car with your own spec because that is what you want.

My personal opinion would be to do what you are doing and go from there. If you like the B&W display then move forward from there but I would make sure the garage think you are 'settling' so you get the most out of them. Servicing a vehicle costs a dealer very little in comparison to what they charge the customer, a £50 tank of fuel costs the dealer £50, a £150 service costs the dealer parts only - circa £45? My point is 1 service would not be enough for me, I'd want a 3 yr free service plan, it's an offer often given on a new car so not an outrageous request. I'd want the fuel too of course! If you want the colour screen then you can reorder and should be compensated for the wait. I would be looking for a similar vehicle to keep you on the road until your correct car was in plus a service plan for your inconvenience and any other dealer accessories you can wangle - a luggage liner, carpet mats, fuel, privacy glass, supa guard or equivalent are some examples.

You don't get if you don't ask. I bet a service plan and fuel and accessories would cost the dealer less than £500 to keep a customer happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a dealer **** up so compensation/goodwill gestures are funded by the dealership. I would be dealing with the dealer principle to be sure things were being taken seriously and not brushed under the carpet.

As stated in another comment you buy a new car with your own spec because that is what you want.

My personal opinion would be to do what you are doing and go from there. If you like the B&W display then move forward from there but I would make sure the garage think you are 'settling' so you get the most out of them. Servicing a vehicle costs a dealer very little in comparison to what they charge the customer, a £50 tank of fuel costs the dealer £50, a £150 service costs the dealer parts only - circa £45? My point is 1 service would not be enough for me, I'd want a 3 yr free service plan, it's an offer often given on a new car so not an outrageous request. I'd want the fuel too of course! If you want the colour screen then you can reorder and should be compensated for the wait. I would be looking for a similar vehicle to keep you on the road until your correct car was in plus a service plan for your inconvenience and any other dealer accessories you can wangle - a luggage liner, carpet mats, fuel, privacy glass, supa guard or equivalent are some examples.

You don't get if you don't ask. I bet a service plan and fuel and accessories would cost the dealer less than £500 to keep a customer happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad it all sorted.

Definitely agree don't ask don't get. Whatever the issue they won't want to pay out much so you need to ask. £2000 cash for me, rubber boot liner, door sill protectors, rear bumper protector a small scratch repaired and a couple of toys for my boy. As much as I may slate the brand at times the dealer worked hard to resolve the matter correctly.

Never be fobbed off with small time token gestures if problems arise. Like you say always demand a like for like car if yours is out of action due to a serious issue. After all you may be paying £200 a month for your car to be in the garage being repaired whilst you run around in a citigo or fabia for days on end. A citigo is not a £200 per month car.

• Like 1

Ha ha it turns out it has got maxi dot colout screen,the salesman that rang me just went of the paperwork and the paperwork didn't state colour screen so he called me.So the outcome is they have given me the screen free of charge for my inconvenience of having to go and check it out.

So the good news is I collect my car on Friday afternoon so I am a happy happy again.

Sometimes when the mrs asks me to do something (say emptying the dishwasher or whatever) I'll do it and then pretend I haven't - "oh, sorry love, I completely forgot and now I'm late for work - bye" - so she gets a nice surprise when she goes to do it herself. What a guy, eh?

Anyway, the dealer has inadvertently done the same thing here. And done the equivalent of giving you a free box of dishwasher powder into the bargain.

Mine was missing the double floor in the boot of the estate, mistakes do happen, but the car was not prepared for handover properly and the sales guy tried to get away with a sorry cant help you further. I went to management and got a set of roof bars and a box on top of another 200 euro worth of door and boot protectors. Dont bother speaking with the Monkey go straight to the organ grinder.

• Like 3

Ha ha it turns out it has got maxi dot colout screen,the salesman that rang me just went of the paperwork and the paperwork didn't state colour screen so he called me.So the outcome is they have given me the screen free of charge for my inconvenience of having to go and check it out.

So the good news is I collect my car on Friday afternoon so I am a happy happy again.

What really happened of course is the work experience lad in the dealership was flown out to China or where ever, built the coloured screen Maxidot flew back via Czechoslovakia for a quick course in retro fitting head units and on to the dealer and fitted it.

True dealer customer service. Errrrm! Probably not.

Insist on your money back, go to a different dealer, post the details of the dealer here so we can avoid it, then find their website and post negative reviews there.

Lol that sounds a bit extreme

But there is no argument as it's there it was just not put on the infantry from the factory and who ever phoned me also never got anyone to check it out and they just a sued it was the mono chrome dash.

The only inconvenience it caused was me having to go and check for myself and the dealers is only 4 miles away.

So because of a simple oversight on there behalf I got a coloured screen free of charge and I am happy with that to be fair.

• Like 2

Insist on your money back, go to a different dealer, post the details of the dealer here so we can avoid it, then find their website and post negative reviews there.

What on earth for?

It was a minor mistake that didn't even happen in the end.

• Like 2