Dashcam wiring - Nextbase kit

Hi

So according to the nexxtbase expert Tiffany on here "You can Hardwire onto a permanently live fuse with the 412GW on the latest firmware".

I am thinking of doing this with my Fabia III

Apart from randomly picking an empty fuse socket to see if it is permanently live, does anyone know which empty ones are permanently  live?

Thanks

There is a clear list of the fuses in the manual. Which onces are free depends on what spec level your car is. Not sure if any of the spec upgrades are perm live rather than switched, but can take a look on https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Model/Fabia_NJ/05-2015/en and make a decent guess. Chances are you might need to use a piggy back off an existing live, but the nextbase dash kit comes with all you need.

• 3 months later...

I followed the installation guides and a Youtube video. The result was disabling front driver assist sensor, and airbag warning whilst device was plugged into the fuse - No 28 I think. (Although dashcam worked fine) Removal restored function as normal. So tried another fuse recommended here, again dashcam worked fine but airbag warning came on. I removed the device but sill have airbag error alert.

No-one else seems to have these problems. Is it just me? Also now have to figure out how to cancel the airbag waning.

13 hours ago, Polaris said:

I followed the installation guides and a Youtube video. The result was disabling front driver assist sensor, and airbag warning whilst device was plugged into the fuse - No 28 I think. (Although dashcam worked fine) Removal restored function as normal. So tried another fuse recommended here, again dashcam worked fine but airbag warning came on. I removed the device but sill have airbag error alert.

No-one else seems to have these problems. Is it just me? Also now have to figure out how to cancel the airbag waning.

I'd imagine you were either fitting the fuse tap the wrong way around or of the fuses is faulty/blown? Might need vcds/carista/odbeleven to reset the air bag warning light as you'll of tripped a code.

I'd recommend finding an empty fuse slot for the dash cam if there is one, I'm using slot 34 on mine which is "Heated windscreen washer jets" which my car doesn't have. No piggy back fusing, just straight in. No chance of tripping anything else.

Thank you Confused_Cheese (great handle) . The two fuses seem fine, so I dd what you suggested using the Autotool OBD and VAGerase which did it . Annoyed that the code I wrote down for the fault was just a part number. But it cleared whatever it was.  Onlyt as a wierd aside, the OBD found an auto-transmission fault although the car is manual. I figured it was just trying to read and auto-box that was not there.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2018 at 18:26, Odie said:

I have keyless go and cant find a fuse that switches off when im not using the car, anyone got any ideas? Im currently using the towing hitch slot.

I have the same. As you say all fuses mentioned seem to still be live even when the car is locked. Including wipers, infotainment the lot. Don’t understand this as surely it drains the battery...

Did you find one in the end?

Fitted a Nextbase 422GW to the wife Fabia and a 522GW to the VRS using these along with rear cameras.. Both were really easy and had no issues.

Fitted them both to the 12V socket as a piggy back and no issues (unless you count getting the VRS glove box out and back in).

They both stay on a short time and then use the motion sensors to come back on should someone hit my car whilst parked.  

With the fabia having a smaller engine and therefore a smaller battery, I thought the same that this would kill the battery - but it's using very low power and I've had no issues so far, in fact her fabia didn't move from 24th Dec till today (31st Dec) and it turned over nicely.

If you need any advice - feel free to PM me.

So it it best to remove the pillar trim and run down here. Does it just pull off outwards as don't want to break it

cheers

I’ve plugged into something constantly live it seems. Hopefully this doesn’t kill the battery. Would still be interested to confirm this keyless start behaviour with fuse power.

I ran down the A pillar just pulling it out and tucking behind. Didn’t feel comfortable taking it off.

Loosened the fuse board to tuck the wire through, had to take the screw fully out to have the space though.

2 hours ago, glenn_btn said:

So it it best to remove the pillar trim and run down here. Does it just pull off outwards as don't want to break it

cheers

I posted some photos on the bottom of page 4, but yes, it just pulls straight off. Its held on by metal clips so they're pretty sturdy and i'd be suprised if they were to break. Makes the install super easy and means you can secure the cable so its not rattling around or rubbing on anything 👍

Been driving fine for 30 minutes...parked up for 10 minutes and then..

Randomly, unlocked my car and got in, car alarm went off! Turned engine on and off, still alarm triggering. Opened the loud bonnet, still alarm triggering... Trying to find an online picture of the fuse for the alarm..turns out my internal fuse board was slightly lose and i knocked the plastic cover with my foot upon entry triggering an alarm! Make sure you screw all back in nice and secure after this install..

Edited by StemcellRob
added content

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2019 at 13:15, Blindman said:

Hi

So according to the nexxtbase expert Tiffany on here "You can Hardwire onto a permanently live fuse with the 412GW on the latest firmware".

I am thinking of doing this with my Fabia III

Apart from randomly picking an empty fuse socket to see if it is permanently live, does anyone know which empty ones are permanently  live?

Thanks

Did you choose a live fuse in the end @Blindman

I’ve already got my camera hardwired into fuse 34 (usb socket) with 2 X 2amp fuses plugged into the cable as supplied by Skoda. I now want to have it permanently live so could I use fuse 17 (anti theft alarm and horn)? And if so can I just remove the 2 2amp fuses and pop the 10amp one in? 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the postings here - i was able to follow the instructions and wire the nextbase 312 to the fabia thisafternoon without too much trouble.

The wiring kit says there is a battery guard in the system you install to stop it draining the battery so went for a full time live set up

Thanks

On 23/02/2020 at 16:03, the chemist said:

Thanks for all the postings here - i was able to follow the instructions and wire the nextbase 312 to the fabia thisafternoon without too much trouble.

The wiring kit says there is a battery guard in the system you install to stop it draining the battery so went for a full time live set up

Thanks

Which fuse did you use @the chemist

thanks @glenn_btn looks like I can just put the 10amp fuse into the adapter then :) 

Hi @glenn_btn and @Phoenixd sorry for delay here

I used fuse 10 which is power window left - it is not used on our car and looks like it is perm live

Its been in a week and no issues

Also ref the trim - did not remove it but noted you can use something big and flat to prise it away from the top of the pillar and then feed the cable into the space between the plastic facia and the door rubber then down into the back of the fuse box.

This is a pic of the finished item

hope that helps

IMG_20200303_160244.jpg

Thanks @the chemist

I have installed now and used fuse 37 which says it's the radar. I did not remove the trim on the end but did remove the seal where I did have issues with the headlining by the A pillar as it pushed it in, but all good now.

The biggest issue was getting the cable under the headlining near the centre. Was ok at the edges but almost seemed as if it was glued in the centre but uses a plastic trim toll and all good now

I used the Airbag fuse. Airbag warning whilst fitting (had to remove the original fuse to piggyback from it), but cleared up fine once everything was plugged back in. Been running it over a year like that no issues. Dashcam comes on when i turn ignition on, and turns off 10 seconds after ignition off. Hid my cable behind the trim like @Confused_Cheese did, though i think it's come loose or something as it's rattling about behind the fuse box and pi**ing me off...

1 hour ago, FabiaGonzales said:

i think it's come loose or something as it's rattling about behind the fuse box

I did the best I could to stick these in to hold the cable in place against the plastic trim... hopefully they're still holding. I have some at home holding speaker cable neatly for my 5.1 setup and they're doing a decent job 3-4 years on.

image.png.b1c6fc6ce28e58e2079639a2bc575136.png