Cats digging up the garden, advice please

meb90

Hello all,

I am after some help.

I have just finished making a raised bed in the garden, and I have noticed that the local cats have started digging in it.

I'd like to stop them doing this, as they annoy me - they annoyed me before, but I really dislike them digging up the garden.

Fortunately I haven't found any cat poo yet.

So, please can I have answers on a postcard before I get drastic with the tuna and antifreeze*?

One slight note - I know you can get movement sensors that let off a noise that cats can hear, but does anyone have any positive experience of these? Also, SWMBO has two rabbits, which I'd prefer not to annoy.

Thanks

* Please note - this is a joke! I have no intention of killing or causing harm to the cats.

got an ultrasonc cat deterrent from B&Q a couple of months ago after finding cat **** on top of our rainbow chard - it was the last straw in a long list of deposits.

So far it seems to working but I now need another to cover the side of the house where they seem to have relocated to...

Id suggest a silenced (to not disturb the neighbours) rifle, but that may cause harm which you dont want to do...

I found that plastic fencing stretched across the top of my raised bed did the trick. I've since replaced that with a membrane fence( sort of stuff that's great for preventing weed growth through stone paths ,and wider lanes HIC) about 3 ft high, supported on canes. Mainly to form a dog repellant fence as i had to find some way of stopping the slug problem. No more cat problems, although i think one or to have looked in during the day and our mutt helped by next door's two have made them change their mind. What i found in days before the dog, was a hose on a post half way down the garden with a tap inside. One or two baths later- no more cats. Another suggestion might be ( better at night) a sprinkler or two controlled by PIR sensors. Of course there's always humane traps and relocation of offender to a life of luxury in  farmyard ( not recommended as those who don't care about cats using your garden as a toilet get funny about some prevention means. )

Cats only dig in the act of burying their poo, so if you haven't found any, either you haven't looked hard enough (you can't miss the smell!), or it isn't cats.

A surprising number of cats are stone deaf, and they get used to the ultrasonic repellents anyway, and they annoy people as well (many people can hear them).

Cats are attracted to the smell of freshly turned earth, but once they've picked a spot, they use it constantly.

Anything that will disrupt them works, netting/mesh laid on the soil, big stones, sticks poking up etc.

Id suggest a silenced (to not disturb the neighbours) rifle, but that may cause harm which you dont want to do...

And here is the result of when somebody decides to do exactly that to your pet.

One broken leg, which has had to be screwed and pinned and a cat which is now going mental having to stay in a cage for over a month while the damage heals.

Oh and a £1200 vets bill to go with it.

ninja_zpszqbqmfsn.jpg

Comedy's obviously not your strong point.

• Like 3

Since we have a lot of pet birds we use a Sonic cat scarer (always on - not PIR switched) in front and back gardens.

The ones we use have different frequency selections for cats, rabbits or foxes - depending on the pests you face.

A hosepipe or BBgun are fairly non violent deterrents too (indeed whilst shooting vermin the other week SWMBO had the sense to switch from high-power air rifle to BB gun when a cat arrived on scene too and needed scaring off)

Edited by camelspyyder

Thanks all for the advise so far!

I'm not about to shot the cats, as I think that's going a bit too far.

I've looked at some of the ultrasonic scarers and like the idea, but as you say some cats are deaf.

I think the water spraying type look good - all cats will be deterred :)

A dog isn't an option either!

I now know it is cats as I saw them this morning, not sure why no poo has been found. I do know what it smells like as they have been using another part of the garden.

As an experiment, I'm going to buy some pepper on my way home tonight and see if that has an affect as it is a fairly cheap method.

Comedy's obviously not your strong point.

Not always :s

While im not a fan of cats, i sure as ****e dont advocate inflicting the type of injury yours sustained on any animal..

• Like 4

Found this comment on a US website discussing urine as repellant:
"Here in the UK, many poultry keepers swear by male urine. I know a woman that gets every male visitor to have a pee along the perimeter of her chicken run."

peeing.gif

A 1:10 urine/water mix is an excellent fertilizer as well...

Edited by swedishskoda

If you've used fertiliser a lot contain fish parts, bone etc, drives the cats nuts, a silenced air rifle or wire rigged to a car battery would solve all your problems ;)

Haha, I hadn't thought about electric wire/fence type ideas. Unfortunately I feel this comes into the harm section.

The urine idea is one I'd heard of, I suppose its free so would be worth a go!

Baked, crushed egg shells on the exposed soil. I've also found that the shredded remains of last years Christmas tree is effective at keeping cats off the garden, I think that the brittleness of the needles is uncomfortable to their paw pads.

Some interesting ideas! Some I hadn't heard of.

If I try all of them together, I wonder if that cats will be completely bamboozled and then deterred :)

I had a cat that would sleep beside the neighbours ultrasonic repellent, he wasn't deaf I think he just did it to **** them off.

If you can catch them a water pistol / super soaker. Water isn't going to harm them and they hate it.

Chicken wire buried in the soil can work but obviously an expense and a pain to put in.

Silent roar is supposed to be lion urine and can work.

Borrow a dog and get them to scent your garden within reason.

Super soaker filled with lemon or orange juice is my weapon of choice Cats can't stand it and spend the next 2 days washing constantly or white vinegar is another good one