vRS TDI so far...

Hi there - I'm brand new and signed up especially after finding this thread.

Firstly, thank you for posting your pictures and thoughts of the car so far. I've got a new vRS DSG Hatch with the black pack plus (inc 19 inch wheels) and after seeing some reviews I was starting to think I'd made a bad move due to the road noise and ride.

I currently drive a 59 plate Golf GT TDI DSG and that thing (whilst I love it) bangs and crashes about over just about any bump, so I would hope that the ride is an improvement in the vRS.

Interestingly, I do a lot of motorway driving, would you say that you are happy with the car whilst cruising about?

Daryll

Hi Daryll,

Most of my driving is A and B roads, some dual carriageways (namely A303 and A35). Have had a few trips to Slough on the M4 (and had 50-55mpg) and that's been fine for both ride and noise - this in comparison to my old 12 plate Passat Sport. Yes, if you hit a hole it'll be quite jarring, but on motorways you shouldn't experience that as much as me driving in the sticks!

It cruises well on CC at 60-74mph depending on road - just as smooth as my Passat - but has a lot more in the tank if I need (want) to clear any traffic.

You won't be disappointed with the black pack plus - those wheels are awesome IMO and most people give it a second glance walking past!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wonderful, thank you for the feedback! Really great to know. I look forward to reading any other contributions you share.

• Like 1

Enjoying reading your thread, I took delivery of a Scout 184DSG in the same Race Blue around the same time, so interesting to hear your thoughts on the car as they are pretty similar.

I do find the engine note a little boomy/intrusive at times but coming from a LR Discovery SDV6 I just put this down to the lower refinement of the 4-pot engine.

My rear brake discs are not in great shape (bit of scoring/corrosion) which has surprised me given it's only 2 weeks old (to me) and 4 months old since 1st delivery, Skoda aren't interested though so will have to keep an eye on this area.

• Like 1

Hey Toffee... I have much the same car as yours! I got mine this week but it's a used 64 plate.

I dislike the extreme's and switched for the OEM 18" Turini in black.

Mine has powered boot too and same race blue.

Loving it so far... And enjoy reading your thread... Still learning with mine so can't comment just yet on a few of your issues

• Like 1

ToffeeMRD, on 03 Jul 2016 - 20:39, said:

I'm amazed as it hasn't looked this shiny since I've had it (had a long transporter trip through storms!). I'm awaiting details on the products the chap used today on it - definitely need to invest in a machine polisher and a new pressure washer. He reckoned I'd need to reapply the sealant on it in about 4 months.

I only use the pressure washer for the snow foam as pre-wash - don't use it for rinsing after the wash.  I thought about a machine polisher but it wouldn't really add or speed up my waxing. 

I only use the pressure washer for the snow foam as pre-wash - don't use it for rinsing after the wash. I thought about a machine polisher but it wouldn't really add or speed up my waxing.

Looked at a Nikfisk (he has an e 130.3) for pressure washer, thought the machine polish would be better? Also what do you use product wise for wash and waxing/polishing?

I got a bosch AQT 35-12 for £65 off amazon a couple of weeks back and a 6m extention hose.  Got my snow Foam lance from cleanyourcar (B&D attachment for the AQT as its different from the early bosch fittment) and used valet pro pH neutral snow foam.  Autoglym bodywork conditioner shampoo and p21s/R222/S100 wax.

gallery_144028_2042_61201.jpg

gallery_144028_2042_5785.jpg

gallery_144028_2042_50407.jpg

gallery_144028_2042_31118.jpg

gallery_144028_2042_10605.jpg

the power washer will remove some of the big bits but the snowfoam does a not bad job of gently softening the other stuff.  it won't take all dirt off but its pH neutral so won't remove wax.  you get harsher alkaline snow foams that clean better but they also remove wax/polish.  The kids enjoy doing it too. 

• Like 1

Two things of note today. Saw a fully loaded Green vRS in Beaminster (Hi Chris if you're on here!), stunning colour. We had a good chat about the cars - both happy owners!

Second was me parking outside some shops today in on road parking and I could see a guy having issues parking behind me when I was in a shop. Had a feeling I should take a look and went out to get something from the front of the car, opened the boot to purposely take a look. The guy (who was sitting there for a while) got out and said "I think I bumped your car"! I asked if he was sure as it seemed OK, he seemed a little worried as I turned around. Turns out he was someone I know very well (friend of a friend and his daughter is in same class as my daughter)! Checked the bumper over, rubbed a cloth over it to clean it and was pleasantly surprised it was ok - if he did hit it. He was worried about walking away as he wanted to let the owner know - fair play as many wouldn't bother.

Will post a bit more on the driving experience this week over the weekend.

Oh and I've just ordered this dash cam after a good review on this site:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/6/23/dashcam-review-ddpai-m6-is-the-best-mini-cam-ive-used.html

Edited by ToffeeMRD

ToffeeMRD, on 07 Jul 2016 - 21:34, said:

Cheers - that helps a lot, especially re the snow foam being PH neutral

obviously depends how dirty your car is, I've washed mine every week since I got it at the end of may so the pH neutral stuff is enough. I also use a wax on the wheels which helps protect from the brake dust.

Edited by DrTh

An update this morning on a few areas. Mpg has been around 44-48 this week as I've been a little heavier with my right foot and had a lot of driving in towns and single track winding roads (where second gear is too fast!).

Secondly load space and kids. The load space is surprisingly good considering I've come from a Passat estate which swallowed everything! The sloping boot sees some space taken, but I'll take that as it looks far better than a flat boot. It takes almost as much as the Passat for my work gear, and fits two large suitcases in.

The height is where is comes unstuck for getting that little more in IMO. More than enough space though for a kids pushchair, bags etc for day trips. The rear seats are spacious too, seem to have a little more legroom than the Passat if that's possible (or maybe it's my eyes!)?

The car seats (both Recaro) fit perfectly and are solid once in the car. Kids have plenty of legroom, although I'm forever wiping the back of the seats down with scuff marks from dirty shoes!

Be aware that the view for kids is limited due to the design of the vRS front seats, being wide and with no gap where the headrest is like most cars. They may be leaning around a bit to look out the windscreen.

759f6679d559250e20d10ba94c1eaeb7.jpg

Obviously you've also got the front passenger seat as an option with the airbag turned off. Just have to deal with the arguments as to which kid sits there first!!

Annoyingly upon cleaning this morning I've noticed some chips on the bumper, know exactly where they came from - a B (or C!) road near Maiden Newton. Will have to get some touch up paint from a dealer - Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil (due to work) closest for me.

Not sure on cost, but can't imagine it'll be a bank breaker. It's going to happen, but I've got an OCD with these kind of things and want them touched up ASAP!

Think that may have got worse since I've got the car as I'm enjoying it so much!

27855cdbba46f842846a3c6a37bbbc5b.jpg

b3c82192460cf0b560bed777636ad7f0.jpg

Stone chips are an arse when the primer is a lot lighter than the paint.

One reason I've gone for Meteor Grey, looks like they have fogotten to paint the car as it looks a bit like the Primer colour. Hopefully chips won't be that noticeable 

• Like 1

One reason I've gone for Meteor Grey, looks like they have fogotten to paint the car as it looks a bit like the Primer colour. Hopefully chips won't be that noticeable

Realised that very quickly when I tried to wash what I thought was dirt off and realised it was an indentation!

A good days driving by the sounds of it! Coming from a 143 Passat, it's much better - especially from 40-70 for safer overtaking. I've got a little used to that fake exhaust note too [emoji51]

I didn't think the sound generator came with the Diesel engine (or is this the external real sound and not artificial cabin sound)?

I didn't think the sound generator came with the Diesel engine (or is this the external real sound and not artificial cabin sound)?

It's (for all models it seems) definitely coming through the sound system - from Autocar: 'They all get a sound generator too, this pumps a synthesised engine noise into the cabin but can be switched off if you'd prefer you engine noise natural'

I have turned it off in individual mode, rest of settings to sport - but have stayed in sport mode with the engine note on for past couple of weeks

Edited by ToffeeMRD

Have you got a build date yet?

It's (for all models it seems) definitely coming through the sound system - from Autocar: 'They all get a sound generator too, this pumps a synthesised engine noise into the cabin but can be switched off if you'd prefer you engine noise natural'

Nope, it's a device that's bolted to the scuttle below the windscreen and vibrates through the cabin.  I've unplugged mine.

Autocar.... the motoring equivalent of The Sun. :D

• Like 1

Nope, it's a device that's bolted to the scuttle below the windscreen and vibrates through the cabin. I've unplugged mine.

Autocar.... the motoring equivalent of The Sun. :D

that sounds even more **** than it coming through the speakers haha!

Here's a pic of mpg this morning on a trip to Bournemouth at area - had my foot planted a few times, so happy with that.

e5f404d3ff39b611360b45b4ea3ebe44.jpg

Next 9 miles of town driving across to Christchurch and New Milton. That kills the MPG.

728691b5dc829f054936324757050a85.jpg

Edited by ToffeeMRD

Toffee, l am not surprised you are getting good MPG at those average speeds, they are pretty slow.

Probably different driving conditions here but if I were averaging around 30 mph for that distance (even in urban conditions) then I would expect close to 60 mpg from my petrol 1.4tsi.

I know that open road cruising at speed I could not match you though.

Jeez a bit cold at only 16 degrees in mid summer isn't it? Got a nice balmy 39 degree day over in the UK around this time last year.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

Toffee, l am not surprised you are getting good MPG at those average speeds, they are pretty slow.

Probably different driving conditions here but if I were averaging around 30 mph for that distance (even in urban conditions) then I would expect close to 60 mpg from my petrol 1.4tsi.

I know that open road cruising at speed I could not match you though.

Jeez a bit cold at only 16 degrees in mid summer isn't it? Got a nice balmy 39 degree day over in the UK around this time last year.

16 degrees is our summer!!

Brief update from me. I'm loving the standard seats - very, very comfortable. Saw a friends focus ST and couldn't believe how tight those seats were, he struggles getting in & out! Also, IMO, the vRS has a far better looking interior from what I saw and much better steering wheel too. Looks more polished.

Started to push the car a bit more through winding roads and it does bring a nice smile to your face. Really enjoying the power range available in 3rd and 4th - gives me much more confidence when overtaking (on clear roads I hasten to add) than previous cars.

Below was from a recent trip to Bath, lots of traffic and lots of stops around the city with work. Couldn't believe the average mph, even after going home (around 20 miles) with good traffic it only climbed to 10mph! Awful day for driving!

b6bcf5032cd56c9e56422685a77894c6.jpg

Started to push the car a bit more through winding roads and it does bring a nice smile to your face. Really enjoying the power range available in 3rd and 4th - gives me much more confidence when overtaking (on clear roads I hasten to add) than previous cars.

Below was from a recent trip to Bath, lots of traffic and lots of stops around the city with work. Couldn't believe the average mph, even after going home (around 20 miles) with good traffic it only climbed to 10mph! Awful day for driving!

My long term is 43MPG @ 20MPH after 5K, stop start and town driving jus don't suit the TDI  :dull:

• Like 1

My long term is 43MPG @ 20MPH after 5K, stop start and town driving jus don't suit the TDI :dull:

Agree. Most of my driving is on long A roads and sometimes M4/M5 where I see much better returns (unless rush hour on motorways) on mpg and mph!