Is the VRS petrol a good baby/dog wagon?

For me the Octy its great with a baby.

The pushchair will sit nicely in the boot without even being dissambled & theres lots of room in the back for getting the car seat in & out.

I have the TDI & am very happy with my choice, averaging mid-50s during the summer.

DSG issues are now history.

Far more room than in your Pious! For a dog in the hatch, take the parcelshelf out, obviously.

As JaminWales says - MPG is down to you - I've seen tankfuls give around 28 to mid 30s.

Ride within the VRS may be a little harsh (thumpy) for a small baby, but the dog won't complain too much. Refinement from the engine bay is very good, road and cabin noise is okay, and boot is of course very spacious (even for a big dog). I recommend getting the official rubber boot mat, especially if your dog gets muddy.

My old Mondeo and 3-Series were more refined when cruising, but they were not particularly sporty models. If baby comfort is the main priority, best go for a car with softer suspension and less intrusive road noise.

Cheers guys!

Anything I need to look for when buying one other than the usual?

I believe they have timing chains not belts right?

how do they compare performance wise to the fabia VRS?

Thanks

Christian

Edited by Cookc

Contrary to post #2, I think the Tdi is just fine.

You haven't mentioned whether it's a hatch or combi you're after.

The Combi can comfortably carry our two Greyhounds in the back while I'm sure leaving the cabin free for baby and associated stuff...if we had one!

Instead, it's more used to being the 'dad taxi' for junior and his deliquent buddies.

Obviously TDI's not having issues cause no issues for owners of these.

But there have been issues needing Service Campaign or Warranty works. 

Which was my point. 

Dirty Diesels have their place doing runs and maybe not short stints, and maybe best as Airport Transporters rather than City Mini cabs.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

My DD is almost 10 months now and almost always snoozes off in the car seat.  South London to Liverpool yesterday a fair example, asleep inside a mile or 2 and asleep until first stop (about Newport Pagnell I think), fed and changed, off again and asleep again, wakes a bit before Stafford services, in there for food, change and a leg stretch in the sunshine/crawl about on the grass, then she was awake for the rest and getting bored, but still comfy enough, she was pleased to arrive and grandad and nanna's though!

Car averaged 38.5mpg on the way up, 36.something on the return journey....whithout the speed limiter known as 'The fiancée' in the car (think I managed 66 mph average on the return journey).

In short, it swallows baby, and baby stuff, very happily

Hatch is great for our Greyhound and as for MPG I'm averaging 41 in general.  MPG is a mixture of dual carriageway for work and back roads for fun.

Defo wishing I'd gone for the petrol  :envy:

The boot on the Saloon is huge but you prob want an estate. Don't bother with a diesel if 60% of your driving is in built up areas or your regular journeys are less than 15miles, the DPF regens will kill fuel economy .

Had a mk2 Octy estate, great for two dogs, but get the boot mat.

Regarding young children, or toddlers, wouldn't recommend the VRS as ride is a bit harsh, get smaller wheel rims. It's not a problem and baby stage, but later you will find that crayons, crisps etc will bounce off tray tables. If they drop their favourite you will be stopping and scrabbling around the floor otherwise your ears will be burning.

Don't discount the Scout, especially if after the test drive you (or the wife / kids / dog) find the vRS a little harsh or unforgiving in the suspension department.

The estate is definately a bonus over the hatch for dog / kids. Leaning into the estate (changing nappies) is easier and the estate boot lid offers better protection against the rain when stripping the kids of their muddy clothes before letting them climb in!

I just wish the Scout was available in petrol like the MkII was.

Still, if diesel does work out a possibility then the 184PS in the 4x4 Scout is definitely a car in stealth mode!

octavia-scout-longwayhome.jpg

• Like 2

Obviously we're all entitled to our own opinions, but in mine, there are no issues with the ride, at all!! It's not even remotely harsh. And crisps!?! WTF you thinking allowing those in the car!!  ;)

• Like 2

Obviously we're all entitled to our own opinions, but in mine, there are no issues with the ride, at all!! It's not even remotely harsh. And crisps!?! WTF you thinking allowing those in the car!! ;)

Ditto don't feel that the ride is harsh, firmer than your average wallow box of course

Harsh and wallowy are two extremes, there is lots in-between.

Agreed that it is all down to personal preference but to me there is only one advantage of overly firm suspension and that is taking corners at higher speeds, something I've never particularly needed or wanted to do. 

I've owned a vRS and am now on my second Scout.

The vRS does look better though.

It also very much depends on the roads you drive.

Mine unfortunately now look more like this after every winter. Not nice in the dark on low profiles...

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

Only comment I'd make on the vRS is with the front seats the back doesn't have a whole lot of forward vision.  I've no experience with kids but I know from personal experience if you get even slightly car sick the back of a vRS is not a nice place to sit!

Oh and other comment, although this covers all the Octavia models, the hard plastics are far too easy to scratch, I'm not at all impressed with the quality of the hard plastic.  I would imagine dogs and kids are going to have a fair impact on the state of them so try and get covers where you can, certainly carrying even normal luggage has taken it's toll on the boot.

Edited by gullyg

I can achieve 42mpg on a long run sticking to 70mph (estate vRS TSI DSG). If you want to enjoy yourself of course that is more like 35 mpg.

I have no.problems with the ride, pretty comfortable all round. And no, crisps or any type of food are banned from the car!