How do you keep cool at night?!

hutchysrs50

Monday night despite the heat i slept like a baby, didn't really notice it.

Last night, worst night sleep in ages! at 3am this morning i decided to have a little sleep on the glass coffee table in the living room, it was heaven for about 3 minutes until it also turned into an oven.

Ive got a Dyson fan, but it just seems to blow warm air around, make noise and the LED display on the front lights up the room.

Im amazed i even made it to work this morning... so i dont want a repeat of last night! 

• Like 2

Monday night despite the heat i slept like a baby, didn't really notice it.

Last night, worst night sleep in ages! at 3am this morning i decided to have a little sleep on the glass coffee table in the living room, it was heaven for about 3 minutes until it also turned into an oven.

Ive got a Dyson fan, but it just seems to blow warm air around, make noise and the LED display on the front lights up the room.

Im amazed i even made it to work this morning... so i dont want a repeat of last night! 

I had the same experience, Monday I had a great sleep and was really comfy when I woke up then last night I was sweating my balls off. I was completely starkers without the duvet with all windows open but still woke up several times and to add to it I had my little ones all trying to get in our bed as they couldn't sleep either making me even hotter.

I got in the shower at 5am instead of 6 as I couldn't take it anymore.  

Likewise I have a fan but can't sleep with the noise. 

Edited by LHVRS
  • Like 1

I forgot to add, i got a fresh bottle of water just before bed....

At 3am it was pretty much a cup of tea.

I've heard of 'water into wine',.......................................................Lol.

I was up just before 4am for work, I think I finally drifted off at about 3am ffs! I try to regulate the heat in the house by keeping doors open and more than one window through flow, didn't work last night though. I used to have a custom built fairly pricey air con unit when living in Holland designed to cool twice the size of room, it was emotional. Didn't have the space in the Octy when moving, so I gave it away. Worst thing in the world knowing someone else is getting full use of it last night likely needing a 13.5tog duvet in the process! 

Might invest in a bog box of asda/tesco value ice lollies for next time  :sun:

Edited by FUBAR

I have a massive 20" fan from B&Q pointing out of the back window with the windows open at the front of the house pulling air through on an evening and then blowing on me at night.

Its incredibly loud even on the lowest setting but it moves a lot more air than your standard household pedestal fan or similar. I still manage to sleep with it in the bedroom though.

I did have a 9000BTU air conditioning unit when I lived at home but I ended up selling it as my Dad kept getting onto me about it using too much electric but it worked well in a bedroom. Wish I still had it, they have increased in price dramatically since I bought it.

I'm in ,possibly the exception. My old rented place is geriatric, as is the roof space, which means no felt, and the tiles are above the slats, with a breeze blowing inside the roof. Every year I simply lift the loft hatch, open a rear door ,and all doors leading upwards and let the roof breeze move the hot air out of the roof space, allowing more hot air to rise and pulling a cool breeze upward through the house. Better than air con, and CHEAP.

I also forgot to mention, that I’ve got external wall cladding on this place, which keeps heat out as well .

Edited by VWD

Move the fridge into the bedroom and prop the door open after taking out the bulb :D

Second quote for this

I've since left work and fear I've still left the door open, morning staff won't be happy and I'm probably getting the sack :S

Move the fridge into the bedroom and prop the door open after taking out the bulb :D

Unless the back of the fridge is outside you're only going to make things worse because the back gets warm as it takes the heat from inside and puts it outside. Then there's the heat caused by the friction of the motor. You should have known better.
  • Like 1