The factory options thread - peoples feedback

Just thought starting this thread might be an idea for those in a position to be speccing a MK3 Octavia. The idea being that owners who have specced various options can give their feedback on how useful various ones are and if they are worth the outlay. Here's some from me

Panoramic sunroof 

Fantastic! Worth every penny and offers many benefits.

Gives a real lift to the interior. 

Lets light flood in when closed but with the electrically operated roof lining screen retracted.

Has many positions that are adjustable via a push button/rotary switch

Silent

Has a wind deflector that actually works

Looks good from the outside

Good if you have young children as mine seem to like it when open

Electric tailgate - Excellent

Good if you have the combi and will actually be making use of the cavernous boot

Can be opened/closed remotely via Key

Saves fingerprints and any marking of the paint when closing

Heated front screen

Great - although I have not used it yet, the wife has one on her car and the rate of clearing frost is impressive

Very difficult to spot the filaments and pose no noticeable reduction in visibility

Make sure your insurance has windscreen cover as I imagine they are costly to replace

Reverse camera

Well worth it.

Visual insight into what the sensors are picking up

Good to use when reversing off the driveway

Good when reversing around a corner - spots oncoming traffic

Edited by Wakey

I had the electric tailgate on my previous vRS  but didn't spec it this time for several reasons.

It's gone up £100 to £400, for what it does £300 is pushing it.

It's very slow to open and close

It's really noisy and sound aweful

To be able to open and close with the remote or the button inside it needs programming with VCDS.

Struts leak oil, and alot of it. Had mine replaced, new ones leaked too.

To me it just wasn't worth paying for again and I must say going back to a manual one is a bit of a revelation.

Also you point about fingerprints on the outside isn't valid as there's a strap on the inside to close the boot with.

Edited by Neily03
  • Like 1

ACC- love it. Makes motorway cruising a lot easier.

I have all options except Smartgate. Dealer forgot it. Have not tested heated screen yet. Will probably love it. Had it on my Sierra Cosworth a long time ago.

• Like 1

Spare wheel

Having already trashed a tyre at 700 miles on a nasty pothole, the foam would have been useless as the sidewall was gashed.

Leather

Messy kids and spills etc - an absolute must for ease of cleaning.

+1 for sunroof, especially with kids - they love it! Cloud watching & stargazing!  :D

I had the electric tailgate on my previous vRS  but didn't spec it this time for several reasons.

It's gone up £100 to £400, for what it does £300 is pushing it.

It's very slow to open and close

It's really noisy and sound aweful

To be able to open and close with the remote or the button inside it needs programming with VCDS.

Struts leak oil, and alot of it. Had mine replaced, new ones leaked too.

To me it just wasn't worth paying for again and I must say going back to a manual one is a bit of a revelation.

Also you point about fingerprints on the outside isn't valid as there's a strap on the inside to close the boot with.

So you are not a fan then?  :D

Re the strap - yeah had a manual tailgate in my fabia vrs combi and it was fine to pull the tailgate to a low position put I had to finish it off with a push. Maybe the Octavia is better balanced with the strut pressure

Leather

Messy kids and spills etc - an absolute must for ease of cleaning.

I have two small kids and I avoided the leather. The Skoda fabric looks very hard-wearing, whereas I have seen reports of Skoda's cheap "leather" ageing badly, and I understand all leather needs some looking after unlike fabric.

SmartLink

Much better value than the built in satnav.

Boot nets

Hardly used them.

I have two small kids and I avoided the leather. The Skoda fabric looks very hard-wearing, whereas I have seen reports of Skoda's cheap "leather" ageing badly, and I understand all leather needs some looking after unlike fabric.

SmartLink

Much better value than the built in satnav.

Boot nets

Hardly used them.

I think the leather comes into it own if something is spilled. It can be wiped off on leather but just soaks in and smells with fabric

KESSY

Worth the extra £300+ not too sure but it is very handy, adds that element but I think the GTD has it as standard though.

But I do wish they would of done something better with the start button rather than just putting it where the ignition barrel normally goes.

Edited by davitc
  • Like 1

Bought mine as ex demonstrator so had lot of options I wouldn't have necessarily bought if I was paying for them separately. But of the ones I do have:

Electric boot - never had one before and wouldn't have bought it but now I have it I wonder how I ever lived without one. However as previous poster said it would be nice if it could be closed remotely

Variable boot floor - excellent

Heated screen - every car should have one (had this years ago in various Fords)

Spare Wheel - every car should have one of these too

Canton sound system - despite some posters not liking it I think it sounds excellent but is a bit pricey at £500

Columbus Nav - nice to have but wouldn't pay a grand for it!

Another vote for heated screen - wouldn't buy a car without it now.

Heated seats and space saver spare as well.

Colour maxidot is a nice addition if it's not standard by now.

I wouldn't bother again with built in say nav unless it meant a bigger screen as the iPhone and Bluetooth are better.

Not options on the vrs but maybe on other cars,

Auto lights, wipers and cornering Xenons. Again won't buy a car without.

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 1

To add to the list ;

pro

- electric adjustable drivers seat ( great when several people drive the car 3 memory positions available )

- heated seats ( great to have a warm back on the way home after a days hard labour )

- heated screenwasher jets ( great together with heated front screen )

con

- front assist = worthless !! I almost hit a car in front of me whilst going 120 km/h and the system did not even bleep at me ( whilst it stopped the car 3 times when I was overtaken on the highway at 120 km/h )

- climatronic = when it should work it would be great ( now it is a driver controlled aircon like in many other cars , the system simply is not working as in my previous car )

Another vote for heated screen - wouldn't buy a car without it now.

Once you've had one you'll NEVER buy a car without one.

I mean, 21st century and you have businessmen in their £700 Gucci suits scraping ice off of the windscreen of their £90,000 Mercedes with a plastic instrument whilst the girlie next door in her jeans and Asda t-shirt gets into her £500 Ford Ka, pushes a button and the screen does the work while she checks her phone for messages.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963
  • Like 1

I mean, 21st century and you have businessmen in their £700 Gucci suits scraping ice off of the windscreen of their £90,000 Mercedes with a plastic instrument whilst the girlie next door in her jeans and Asda t-shirt gets into her £500 Ford Ka, pushes a button and the screen does the work while she checks her phone for messages.

Presumably most businessmen with 90k cars have a similarly expensive house with a garage and an automatic door mind.

Never had any issues with ice with the car in the garage.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't an option on most cars nowadays. You can certainly get it on Range rovers and Volvos.

Re the HFS then until recently Ford had the monopoly on them and no other manufacturer other than Ford owned brands could use the technology.

I think now that this has ended then other manufacturers will introduce it throughout their products

You can certainly get it on Range rovers and Volvos.

Because they used to belong to Ford at one time or other

Skoda is one of the few that were not ex-ford that offer it. The VW version does not have the wires but is nowhere near effective

Because they used to belong to Ford at one time or other

Skoda is one of the few that were not ex-ford that offer it. The VW version does not have the wires but is nowhere near effective

My Octavia has it and has wires.  And it's effective.

Please be sure of your facts before posting.

VW now offer a wire-less version but it's not one I'm familiar with.

My Octavia has it and has wires.  And it's effective.

Please be sure of your facts before posting.

VW now offer a wire-less version but it's not one I'm familiar with.

Isn't that what I said?

My Skoda has wires too and is effective also. However my VW does not have wires and is not as effective.

Maybe you should read the post properly before handing out advice  ;)

• Like 1

Anthracite Geminis - much nicer than the standard Pictoris (Irish car).

Footwell lights - so cheap and really handy when you drop something.

Front sensors - very handy.

Performance mode - I like it for being able to modify the headlights turning (Not standard in Ireland).

Colour maxidot - wouldn't pay for it again.

Heated seats - a must.

Heated screen - missed it from fords years back. I noticed a few more chips than normal for the mileage I though so it's got me thinking is it a bit soft?

Sunset glass - looks so much better.

Black pack - I have a strong dislike for chrome.

Hill hold - wouldn't be without it.

Alarm - meh...got it for free. I don't want to ever test its effectiveness to be honest.

Reversing camera - handy in tight spaces (standard in Ireland).

Smart link - really is the way forward for in-car tech. I would never spec factory nav again if this was also available (standard in Ireland).

Edited by EoinM

... and I understand all leather needs some looking after unlike fabric.

"unlike fabric" ? Really?

I'd sooner clean melted chocolate off my cheap leather than off fabric.

• Like 1

I've got it on my 13 year old Focus but I didn't spec it for the Octavia because it wasn't available without the heated seats.

Black Pack - In my view, essential for a Race Blue VRS. Looks so much better.

Anthracite Gemini Alloys - Works really well with Race Blue and Black Pack.

ACC - Useful for the 50mph cruises through road works, Would be even better with a DSG.

Amundsen Sat Nav - I find it works well as a sat nav, but not sure it is worth the price over using a decent paid for sat nav software on a phone.

Front Assistant - Not needed to use it, so can't tell you if it is worth it or not. Probably is, but never want to find out.

High Beam Assistant - Pretty good, but notice when I am going up steeper hills it turns of the high beam as it reflects of the road. But reacts quickly when cars come round corners so will use it on country roads.

Cornering Fogs - Only of minor use to be honest. Wouldn't pay for it.

Note: I only have the High Beam Assistant and Corning Fogs because I got VCDS.

Lane Assistant - Standard on my VRS. Not sure I would pay for this, but useful on drive when I am feeling a bit tired.

Hill Hold - Standard on my VRS. Took me a little getting used to, but useful on Sheffield. Not sure I'd pay extra for it.

Reversing Sensors - Standard on my VRS. Seem to be well placed and easy to use.

Auto Lights and Wipers - Just works. If it wasn't standard I would pay for it. Better when tweaked with VCDS.

Bought mine as ex demonstrator so had lot of options I wouldn't have necessarily bought if I was paying for them separately. But of the ones I do have:

Electric boot - never had one before and wouldn't have bought it but now I have it I wonder how I ever lived without one. However as previous poster said it would be nice if it could be closed remotely

Variable boot floor - excellent

Heated screen - every car should have one (had this years ago in various Fords)

Spare Wheel - every car should have one of these too

Canton sound system - despite some posters not liking it I think it sounds excellent but is a bit pricey at £500

Columbus Nav - nice to have but wouldn't pay a grand for it!

Love the electric boot and glad I specced it also..

On Columbus... I like the bigger screen but apart form that, what else does it bring to the party for £1k..??

Would it be possible to straight swap out an Amundsen for a Columbus I wonder...

• Teron 17" - Looks better than the Denoms I think, especially with silver body. No additional cost

Front sensors - Handy for wife who is a little short and isn't always certain where bonnet ends

• Front Assist - Saved my wife ploughing into a numpty cyclist who was cut across a 3 lane roundabout. Paid for itself right there.
  • Heated seats - Warms you up a lot quicker than the air vents in winter. Surprised about how quickly they get to temp. Def a must
  • Sunset glass - Makes the car look way better! Kid friendly too
  • Reversing camera - Gives you ability to squeeze every inch out of a tight turn. Would have paid for it, but thankfully comes as standard on Style spec in Ireland
  • Smart link - Way cheaper than the GPS option, in fact it's free in Ireland. Would love to see Google Maps achieve CarPlay certification as I think it's way better than Apple Maps. But love how easy it is to connect phone and use Spotify for long journeys

Love the electric boot and glad I specced it also..

On Columbus... I like the bigger screen but apart form that, what else does it bring to the party for £1k..??

Would it be possible to straight swap out an Amundsen for a Columbus I wonder...

Columbus gives you a bigger screen with 3D nav (3D images for 'selected cities' although I havn't been to one yet to see the benefit). It does have 64GB hard disk so you can store and database your music and it also includes a CD player (which also plays DVD's so you can get the benefit of the 5:1 surround on the Canton). The disk also stores the nav info so you have 2 available SD card slots for music etc. Colour maxidot is also part of the Columbus option. According to the brochure it also has integrated WiFi but never tried it.

Whether or not you can do a straight swap with Amunsden I dont think you can but I stand to be corrected on that one