It reads my texts!

Not sure if this was the result of a software upgrade during my cars first service, but never been able to read (or have read out) texts from my iPhone 6 before. However, as I was about to go into the gym, spotted a red 1 against the envelope symbol on the phone screen. Pressed it. I had a message from my brother. Pressed the message and hey presto there it was. Pressed the speech bubble icon now present and Mrs Sat Nav read it out to me. Happy Days!!

The message however, "BIG SAM!!! for England??" Not the best way to christen the Amundsen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah right. Thought you guys had done something when you serviced it. Happy Days either way for me. Cheers James.

Wish there was a way to speak replies... :(

You can kind of get there (on Android phones at least) with an app called 'SMS, my car and me', which, as well as reading out texts, emails and stuff, will let you send one of three pre-written replies under voice control, although to be honest I've always struggled to get the particular feature of the app to work well.....

• Like 1

iPhone 6 works with press and hold home button and Siri comes through the "phone" function on the car.

I think if it's plugged in you can use hey Siri as long as the mic in the phone can pickup the initial command but I'm not 100%.

My iPhone 6s doesn't show texts on the car display but my Samsung Galaxy work phone does - anyone know if there is a setting in the iPhone that needs enabling??

Edited by CFBScout

This is now on my amundsen. Just picked the new car up yesterday. Im using an Xperia z3

is there some sort of setting to turn this on? I got mine last Saturday and it's doesn't seem to do it.... I'm on an iphone 6....

Edited by Neily03

is there some sort of setting to turn this on? I got mine last Saturday and it's doesn't seem to do it.... I'm on an iphone 6....

It's on the phone 'front screen', on the bottom as your hand goes towards the screen. I'd make sure your system is updated (not sure how to do this or if it's even a thing) and your phone software too. As I'm android not sure if it works the same on iPhone.

Sorted, needed to turn on 'notifications' under Bluetooth setting on my phone.

Now next problem, when my iPhone is connected to the cars Bluetooth all sounds except ringing is muted, even though the phone isn't on silent..... So I don't even know I have a text when one comes...

If you've got a Sony Z5, try the "ReadItToMe" app. You need to turn on "support for older Bluetooth devices" ( or something like that) in the settings to get it working, but it will read out texts fairly well.

Works fine on my 2015 Octavia Vrs with Colombus. It's the only thing I could find that would read texts. Also I think it works with WhatsApp etc.

If you've got a Sony Z5, try the "ReadItToMe" app. You need to turn on "support for older Bluetooth devices" ( or something like that) in the settings to get it working, but it will read out texts fairly well.

Works fine on my 2015 Octavia Vrs with Colombus. It's the only thing I could find that would read texts. Also I think it works with WhatsApp etc.

How does the app interact with the car? Does it require access to the phone or does it still work in your pocket etc.

I have a Microsoft Lumia 540, my 2011 Leon FR170 DSG used to read texts out to me. My 2015 Octavia Scout does not read texts. I know they are both VAG cars, but the Leon was better specced than the Scout

Is there a way to send one off an iPhone?

I have a sent tab on the Amundsen but no obvious way to compose via the unit itself.

Obviously I don't have your car/unit, but with Apple CarPlay enabled on my vRS it will read my texts to me and I can dictate a response back.

mate mine just randomly started to work. Did you read the first three posts? James from RRG reckons it's an apple software change rather than car related.

mate mine just randomly started to work. Did you read the first three posts? James from RRG reckons it's an apple software change rather than car related.

Yes I did, did you read post #16, I've got it working now, hair needed to switch on notifications in the Bluetooth profile on my phone.

Yes I did, did you read post #16, I've got it working now, hair needed to switch on notifications in the Bluetooth profile on my phone.

haha apologies mate. Went a bit early on that one and then went to bed. Nice little gimmicky feature that too. Glad it's working for you. Had bugged me since I got the car last August, so another new feature eleven months in.