Skoda Octavia Canton Subwoofer Upgrade

Mate that's a fantastic guide - thanks. I'm based in inner city Sydney and wish you were too. Is there any installer you'd recommend in Sydney that could carry out this work?

Nice guide.

I just want to mention that the Canton amp is 10 channel, not 11. I belive there is 2 channels for the center speaker, 2 for the front tweeters, 2 for the front bass speakers, 2 for the subwoofer and 2 for the speakers in rear door, that has passive crossovers.

And the original Canton subwoofer plays way lower than 50 hz - in car. Because of cabin gain it starts to roll of at 30 hz (ish).

I my 2016 there is no attenuate of the sub at higher volume, but beyond 3/4 its starts to make a great deal of distortion if you set the subwoofer level higher than 0.

The Canton amp is capable of driving two bigger subwoofers if they have good sensitivity, and has 8 ohm impedance.

Mate that's a fantastic guide - thanks. I'm based in inner city Sydney and wish you were too. Is there any installer you'd recommend in Sydney that could carry out this work?

I come up to Sydney often but usually don't get time to do installs, I have fitters in Wollongong but I have lost touch with a most of them in Sydney as the company I worked for has disbanded. most decent places should be able to do it, I just wouldn't recommend JB or Strathfield.

• Like 1

Nice guide.

I just want to mention that the Canton amp is 10 channel, not 11. I belive there is 2 channels for the center speaker, 2 for the front tweeters, 2 for the front bass speakers, 2 for the subwoofer and 2 for the speakers in rear door, that has passive crossovers.

And the original Canton subwoofer plays way lower than 50 hz - in car. Because of cabin gain it starts to roll of at 30 hz (ish).

I my 2016 there is no attenuate of the sub at higher volume, but beyond 3/4 its starts to make a great deal of distortion if you set the subwoofer level higher than 0.

The Canton amp is capable of driving two bigger subwoofers if they have good sensitivity, and has 8 ohm impedance.

from what I could find it ran 2 channels to the subwoofer but they may be common closer to the amp or even in the amp, as I haven't pulled the centre channel out (only pulled off the grill to fit foam to stop the rattle), I don't know if it is SVC or DVC, most centre channels are DVC so you're most probably right there. it makes sense what you are saying about the rear doors (woofers common to their tweeters) I assumed that the rear splits had their own channels like the fronts.

Frequency response info was based on the specification sheet I got a hold of (and now can't find) , and as it is only a 6" subwoofer it realistically can't play much lower,

it may be different for the sedan VS the wagon , I have found the wagon sounds lower in comparison to my sedan, I'm not sure if they are a different subwoofer (in terms of size/box capacity)

I did notice a lack of roll off in the later models which I have mixed emotions on that on one hand I want mine to not attenuate at high volumes (even though I have fixed that with accubass) and on the other hand I think Skoda was stupid in doing that as it is putting the factory subwoofer in such a position it can be overdriven to the point of distortion.

I noticed that the loan cars I get when mines getting fixed all of the subwoofers sound blown because customers play with the settings and increase all of the gains.

Edited by 1loud1

Hi

Many thanks for the great fitment guide. I too have noticed a lack of bass with the system. Like the idea of sound deading the rear.

My question is - as you are the expert - could just remove the Canton sub and replace it with the enclosure with the new sub? What extra does the additional amp and the LC2i add to the system?

Many thanks

Steve

You can use the Canton amp, and just change out the subwoofer. Problem is like mentioned earlier that the Canton subwoofer has two voice coils, each with a impedance of 8 ohm. And that is something you wont find I'm afraid.

You will find subwoofers with dual voice coil of 4 ohm, and then you can use two of them.

The box of 15 Litres are a little to small for two woofers.

Hi

Many thanks for the great fitment guide. I too have noticed a lack of bass with the system. Like the idea of sound deading the rear.

My question is - as you are the expert - could just remove the Canton sub and replace it with the enclosure with the new sub? What extra does the additional amp and the LC2i add to the system?

Many thanks

Steve

its been touched on above about the factory amp and the woofer impedance, I looked into replacing just the woofer in the original canton box, but I knew it would be a band aid on the situation,

What I wanted was depth in my bass (and a 6" woofer will never give you that) and bass at high volumes (I like music loud)  the other issue is to date I haven't found a dual voice coil subwoofer (well besides the factory),

The LC2I has Accubass which means when I turn the stereo past 3/4 volume, I still get bass as it has a compensation mechanism that can be set up so at the high volumes it doesn't attenuate the bass like Canton and Skoda intended.

I didn't want to just connect a new subwoofer to the factory amp for 2 reasons,

1. it wouldn't have enough power and the final impedance would be too low for the amp

2, I didn't want to risk blowing the factory amp (my dealer already hates me for the modifications I've done, and they can tell as they run it on their scanner and see the fault codes) and it wouldn't be covered under warranty,

Hi

Many thanks - I now see and understand. On checking the web, it seems that the LC2i does not seem to be available here in the UK. But there must be something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Many thanks - I now see and understand. On checking the web, it seems that the LC2i does not seem to be available here in the UK. But there must be something similar.

they are for sale on eBay,  but I don't know if they are deliverable world wide, just don't purchase a cheap one as most cheapies only accept 50w max input from a factory stereo.

it may be best speaking worth your local audio shop to see what they recommend would also work, I only use Audiocontrol line out converters or PAC line out converters (for my tight arse clients)

• 4 months later...

Hi 1loud1,

Fantastic guide, exactly what I have been looking for. I have a MY16 Octavia however doesn't have the Canton system. I would like to know your thoughts on how best to connect the LC2i to the Columbus for a subamp? Without splicing any wires, would it be best to a bluetooth wiring harness from the headunit or connect via the DVD player in the glovebox? 

Cheers,

Leon

Hey Leon,

I haven't played with a standard Octavia but I have played with the mk7 golfs (same thing electrically), of I'm doing sub installs on golfs I go off the back of the DVD module in the glove box, I can't remember the wiring colour but Skoda does put a pin out diagram on top of the units, just be careful pulling the players out as the antenna cable is short and can be easily broken.

Cheers,

Kraig

Hi 1loud1,

Fantastic guide, exactly what I have been looking for. I have a MY16 Octavia however doesn't have the Canton system. I would like to know your thoughts on how best to connect the LC2i to the Columbus for a subamp? Without splicing any wires, would it be best to a bluetooth wiring harness from the headunit or connect via the DVD player in the glovebox? 

Cheers,

Leon

Excellent, thanks Kraig. I ordered the same box as yourself, plus a LC2i and will look at buying of the one Bluetooth harnesses to plug into the back of the DVD player and splice the rear speaker outputs for the high level inputs. A nice Alpine Type R with 1ohm powered from a Pioneer GM-D9601 should go nicely. Like you stated, the sound stage from the front speakers is already pretty good, so adding a bit of bass should complement the existing sound system nicely. I don't believe I need to make any VCD changes to the Columbus either for pre-outs etc... (I hope). 

Cheers,

Leon

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I purchased the same box as the OP and also used the LC2i to install subamp. I purchased the following harness http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AERPRO-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-MK7-2013-ON-T-HARNESS-/272460278825?hash=item3f6fe5ec29:g:9vIAAOSwo4pYNZdE and used the rear speaker output to input into the LC2i - this went no existing wires were spliced into. All up, the bass compliments the existing stereo really well and I am extremely happy with the install.

Thanks to the OP for all this information as this assisted me greatly in getting some much needed bass into the MY16 Octy! :)

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Micks_address said:

Hi I have a quick question on this. You said you used dacron to give the subwoofer the illusion of being in a bigger box. How do you mean? 

Thanks, 

Mick 

basically this stuff, gives the illusion that the sub is in a 10% larger enclosure..

dacron2.jpg

asc510sp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I have a 2017 face-lift octavia on order with canton. I'll see how it sounds for a l few months but I can see myself adding a setup like yours.. Id also like to add the sound dampening. What percentage improvement would you say you got over the stock setup? 

Thanks, 

Mick 

• 2 months later...

hello

First great job, love how you explained everything :) 

Can you please tell me what kind of resistors did you use? 0,5W and how many Ω? And from where did you take signal for new amp, from all 4 wires? 

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the grave dig, but I dont suppose you have somewhere to suggest in southern / south west sydney that could do this? When i demo'd a hatch with the canton, I thought it was decent, but ive been disappointed with my canton since new (we have a wagon) and want a better upgrade. The fronts / soundstage sound plenty good enough, just the sub sucks.

I gather its a "order it all yourself and hand to installer" type of deal, which i'm happy to do (and i'd pick JL subs also). I really just want someone who will pay as much care and attention as you have, without butchering the car, or putting self tapping screws everywhere (breaking the galvanizing seal). Drive in, drop car off, pick up that arvo kind of deal. I'd love the front doors deadened at the same time also if possible.

EDIT: im at picnic point

Edited by GTR27

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:38, GTR27 said:

Sorry for the grave dig, but I dont suppose you have somewhere to suggest in southern / south west sydney that could do this? When i demo'd a hatch with the canton, I thought it was decent, but ive been disappointed with my canton since new (we have a wagon) and want a better upgrade. The fronts / soundstage sound plenty good enough, just the sub sucks.

I gather its a "order it all yourself and hand to installer" type of deal, which i'm happy to do (and i'd pick JL subs also). I really just want someone who will pay as much care and attention as you have, without butchering the car, or putting self tapping screws everywhere (breaking the galvanizing seal). Drive in, drop car off, pick up that arvo kind of deal. I'd love the front doors deadened at the same time also if possible.

EDIT: im at picnic point

Hey GTR27,

As I haven't lived in Sydney for a while I'm not too sure who's in the installing game and who's out (I'm still in the industry as a tech consultant and speak to installers regularly and can tell the good from the not so good) as for their workmanship I don't see it so can't comment, I can't name any specific companies not to touch but do your research, look at photos of their work, word of mouth etc, don't look at google reviews as some companies have stacks of 5 star reviews but the reviewer only has posted 1 review which usually means a fake review.  The only company I'd have touch my cars is Drivesound  (but there in Brisbane, and yes I'd drive there if I wasn't in the game).

Some Companies will supply and install the gear, the box for the car is custom built, there is now a wagon version available out of Poland even with shipping it works out cheaper then a local build, not that I don't like supporting local business but I was quoted $600 for what I got less than $200 delivered.

I wouldn't go sound deadening the doors, I know the steel is thing as **** thin in these cars, but the issue is getting the door trims off, and when trims come off in these panels rattle, and I've found this out the hard way when the Dip**** dealer in Melbourne (South Yarra Volkswagen) had to replace the door module and not only damaged my door (by using a screwdriver to remove panels, now I have gouges in my door card) it now has a rattle in there too.

If you're putting a better sub in you'd be cutting the bass out of the front speakers anyway.

As of a couple of days ago i pulled the upgrade out of my car and reverted it to factory as the cars been a ****box lemon and I've now traded it in because I'm sick of it living at the dealer not getting repaired (I wasn't going to take it in for a 20th attempt to get fixed)  reverting it to standard now I know why I put the upgraded sub in, and yes the audio equipment pulled out of the Octavia is up for sale.

Hope Yours runs better than mine.

Happy new year

I've been busy over the holidays and finally starting to make some progress, still a lot to do but most of the wiring is done in the boot now... when done it will all be hidden under the secondary boot floor I specced the car up (for this very reason!)

20171230_135658_zpsf8zq0kqg.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, marko said:

I've been busy over the holidays and finally starting to make some progress, still a lot to do but most of the wiring is done in the boot now... when done it will all be hidden under the secondary boot floor I specced the car up (for this very reason!)

20171230_135658_zpsf8zq0kqg.jpg

very nice! B) but all that zero gauge for one 12" sub? where are you hiding the other 3? :D

5 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

very nice! B) but all that zero gauge for one 12" sub? where are you hiding the other 3? :D

that's 4G you see in that picture, the main cable is 1/0G! it's what I've always used so it went in, helps with voltage drop, the bigger the better!

20171024_170639_zpsnoxvgfmw.jpg