fuel tank capacity

I have to agree, I regularly shove 60 to 65 litres into mine when it's not even close to empty. When I first collected it (with the fuel light on) I put near 70 litres into it easily. That's at various stations (Tescos, Shells) as well, so not a case of a dodgy garage short changing, either. I'm inclined to jump on the 'it's a 75 litre tank' bandwagon, also.

Maybe it's just that full is measured by a spare inch or 2 at the top of the tank and then the fuel neck is pretty wide/long?

Over the years.. I have always been able to get at least 5 litres extra into the tank than I expected.

Bet you can view the fuel tank number of litres present in vcds.

On some bmws you can enable this in the hidden cluster menu

looks like reserve(1/8 red) area not included into declared capacity ~66
733663211_post-139504-0-54698900-14714179531.png.397da08176c1ba0379057eb4c8d17524.png

then full capacity is ~75 l

66 / 7 * 8 = 75,42857
Edited by MartiniB
add lost picture
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

A colleague has just received his new Audi A4. He missed the bit about the fuel tank size and he's not happy, as standard it only holds 40 litres!!!.

A bigger tank is on the options list - for free. Same for the AdBlue tank.

Audi%20A4%20tank_zps9ch4awbo.jpg

I always top up when the light comes on and have never got more than 60 litres in.

I ran it on past the light for about 25/30 miles a couple of weeks ago and got 64 litres, but I considered that the car was running on fumes at that stage.

Had a Mitsubishi V4R a few years ago with a 40 litre tank, got about  200 miles between fill ups a the best!

I always top up when the light comes on and have never got more than 60 litres in.

I ran it on past the light for about 25/30 miles a couple of weeks ago and got 64 litres, but I considered that the car was running on fumes at that stage.

Had a Mitsubishi V4R a few years ago with a 40 litre tank, got about  200 miles between fill ups a the best!

I filled up with V-Power the other day, and put 59.249 litres in. The gauge said I had about a third of a tank left at the time, so nowhere near the reserve warning light even accounting for the inaccuracy of the arc of the float. Most of my fills are between 60 and 62 litres and I don't tend to wait for the light to come on. Maybe they ran out of tanks on the day and I got an Audi 75 litre one. :D

Light cam on, travelled maybe another 5 miles and filled up, 62.22 litres to fill. Yet at other times struggled to get 60 litres in, I guess it depends when the light comes on, I was doing a series of roundabouts in sport mode at the time so there would have been a lot of sloshing around in the tank, but that would make the light come on early surely?

At thsi point I reall have no idea how big the tank is!

Edited by philsmith

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Light comes on, usually takes 60-63 litres so unless reserve is 3 litres which I hope not it sure isn't 66 litres.

I fill till the pump goes click first time so not a crazy overfill either. Usually get 250 miles on first half of the tank then about 220 on the last half till the light comes on, metro driving. I've got the 280 motor.

• 5 weeks later...

On Tuesday I drove my 280 as far as I would have dared on empty getting down to 25 miles to go according to the read out and got just under 64 litres into it, this would mean a 66 litre tank I would say.

Light came on, kept going, filled up when readout showed 10 miles left - filled up until nozzle first clicked off - 68.19 litres added to the tank. 

Definitely over at least 68 litres    

I was showing about 40 miles range left when I filled up at Tescos earlier. Just got the receipt out and I appear to have got 65.17 litres into it. That was to the first click. I'm getting about 35 to the gallon, so if it was basing my range on that consumption there must have been around 5 litres left in the tank. 5 plus the 65 I added makes at least 70 litres in the tank.

Now I've noticed those 65 litres of Momentum 99 have cost me £78.14. Boo.

• 3 years later...