Can you help me please TSi vs Tdi & Hatch vs Estate

The petrol version is more expensive?

Well...it does consume a bit more fuel, a fuel that is a bit more expensive. So yes, at the end petrol may cost you more....I guess the only/main reason for having diesel is the economical aspect - right?

Well...it does consume a bit more fuel, a fuel that is a bit more expensive. So yes, at the end petrol may cost you more....I guess the only/main reason for having diesel is the economical aspect - right?

Oh got you now diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol here.

They seem to be. I looked the prices at https://www.petrolprices.com/ and they sure look very different than here.

I'll try to change currency from € to £ and recent prices in Finland would be:

Diesel 93.99

Petrol unleaded (95E) 98.99

Petrol Super unleaded (98E) 114.99

Driving +25000 miles per year there is no point not to drive a diesel car.

• Like 1

Oh got you now diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol here.

Are you having some reading problems or just trolling casually?

Petrol (no, not a diesel, not what you put in a TDI engine :p ) means that your car would most likely :

1. consume more fuel (petrol . yum-yum . more . than . diesel)

2. that fuel (petrol) is more expensive than diesel (you . pay . more . money)

Edited by wlange

From other threads about consumption it seems that the 2.0tsi engines can get 40 to 45 mpg on a run and anything between 25 and 30 mpg around town.

To be honest I find this a bit disappointing considering the sophisticated dual port/direct injection system and variable inlet and outlet valve timing.

My point of comparison:

In 1998 I had an Australian built 4 Litre straight six Ford Falcon AU and despite being a lot bigger car than a current Octavia vRS it had similar engine power/torque (157kw/350nm), cd drag and kerb weight but only a 4 speed automatic box.

Very heavy consumption around town at 24mpg but out on the highway it would get 40 to 45mpg a the 110kph speed limit, which I thought was sensational at the time.

The 'jelly mold' styling of the car was not popular.

In Germany: yes

In the UK: no

It seems that diesel is a bit more expensive than standard petrol in the UK...

Are you having some reading problems or just trolling casually?

Petrol (no, not a diesel, not what you put in a TDI engine :p ) means that your car would most likely :

1. consume more fuel (petrol . yum-yum . more . than . diesel)

Not trolling dude here in the uk diesel is more expensive than petrol. So for me a diesel makes more sense as I get better MPG as I do about 25 thousand miles a year. Even thou I'm paying a bit more at the pumps. It's still cheaper for me to run a Diesel.

In Germany: yes

In the UK: no

It seems that diesel is a bit more expensive than standard petrol in the UK...

Weird thing is that diesel is a less refined product, thus cheaper to manufacture...there seems to be something really nuts about the taxes applied to it.

In Germany there are higher registration fees / car taxes applied to diesel cars compared to petrol ones, but I guess the impact is not as severe as it would be with fuel price shift.

Anyhow - sorry for you guys then. In such case I would really see no point in having a diesel car in UK at least considering my current needs (less than 30kkm a year).

Bottom line is I'm driving a petrol (1.8TSI) and I'm not seeing myself going back to diesel unless something changes dramatically.

Cheers!

What year is that as thought all Mrk 3 where TFSI

TFSI is just the Audi-name for the engine.

I have a 2015 1.8tsi.

I did drive a 1.6TDI recently, and the first think I noticed was how noisy the engine was compared to mine.

I have a 2015 1.8tsi.

I did drive a 1.6TDI recently, and the first think I noticed was how noisy the engine was compared to mine.

Oh right I also use an Audi A1 185 BHP DSG that's what's thrown me lol.

I have a 2015 1.8tsi.

Same here - 2015 (TSI).

TDI in Octy is indeed a bit on a shaky/noisy side.

Maybe a bit of an of-topic, but in diesel department 2014 Superb 2.0 TDI 170PS was the only diesel combination I could honestly recommend so far; both vibration and noise were under proper control. That is in comparison to few other brands I drove, like Renault, Mercedes, older VW and Skodas, Peugeot, Opel and Toyota.

From other threads about consumption it seems that the 2.0tsi engines can get 40 to 45 mpg on a run and anything between 25 and 30 mpg around town.

To be honest I find this a bit disappointing considering the sophisticated dual port/direct injection system and variable inlet and outlet valve timing.

My point of comparison:

In 1998 I had an Australian built 4 Litre straight six Ford Falcon AU and despite being a lot bigger car than a current Octavia vRS it had similar engine power/torque (157kw/350nm), cd drag and kerb weight but only a 4 speed automatic box.

Very heavy consumption around town at 24mpg but out on the highway it would get 40 to 45mpg a the 110kph speed limit, which I thought was sensational at the time.

In real heavy stop start traffic I can see as low as 32 in a TDI. This sort of constant traffic conditions doesn't do the DPF and consequently fuel consumption any good.

My current route to work of 18 miles I can see 57MPG but put an active regen in that journey with the same conditions because it needs one and 46 no problem

• Like 1

Same here - 2015 (TSI).

TDI in Octy is indeed a bit on a shaky/noisy side.

Maybe a bit of an of-topic, but in diesel department 2014 Superb 2.0 TDI 170PS was the only diesel combination I could honestly recommend so far; both vibration and noise were under proper control. That is in comparison to few other brands I drove, like Renault, Mercedes, older VW and Skodas, Peugeot, Opel and Toyota.

My daily is a 3.0tdi and is by far the best diesel engine I've ever own, in terms of noise and vibration (apart from performance). I said long time ago that I will never buy a 4-cyl diesel again.

By the way, hoping to put my hands on my new 230TSI in the next weeks.

Not trolling dude here in the uk diesel is more expensive than petrol. So for me a diesel makes more sense as I get better MPG as I do about 25 thousand miles a year. Even thou I'm paying a bit more at the pumps. It's still cheaper for me to run a Diesel.

Be warned won't be for too long !

I'd be looking at long term planning on this and don't be an ostrich in regard to this - you could be seeing the ( edit: Used Value) of diesel cars plummet ( whilst price has been recommended to be increased) if gov actually reverse Browns diesel tax discount which seems very likely (and could be double or trebly hit, annual vehicle license plus at the pumps, and then value of your car to boot !).

Thats what my father suggest and he is at local gov't level where they have been discussing how to deal with these kind of direct issues with pollution in towns and cities including people removing diesel pollutino management systems.

Don't say I didn't warn you ! The future is coming, and diesel is in the crosshairs I'm afraid.

I'm a used diesel car driver, but also a realist.

I think you should be educated before rushing into potentially costly long term decisions.

Lets fact it for many cars as 2nd most expensive thing they own next to their houses!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/11/call-for-pollution-tax-on-sales-of-new-diesel-cars-in-britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/transport-secretary-diesel-taxes-could-be-hiked-to-cut-air-pollu/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/07/price-of-diesel-fuel-could-rise-government-considers-reversing-tax-cuts

Next year things could look ugly, and I doubt Brexit will have any impact on this either (despite why my blissfully ignorant opposite neighbour believes) as its the UK calling for this, not just Brussels.

Edited by vRSAnt

My point of comparison:

Interesting point

".......Ford Falcon AU and despite being a lot bigger car than a current Octavia vRS":

Actually it was lighter car with no doubt less modern systems in than the Octy ! Safety etc.

Dimensions

Wheelbase 2,793 mm (110.0 in)–3,096 mm (121.9 in) Length 4,907 mm (193.2 in)–5,077 mm (199.9 in) Width 1,870 mm (74 in)–1,871 mm (73.7 in) Height 1,437 mm (56.6 in) Curb weight 1,437–1,645 kg (3,168–3,627 lb)

Dimensions

Wheelbase 2,686 mm (105.7 in)[24]

2,680 mm (105.5 in) (1.8TSI and 4x4)[citation needed] Length 4,659 mm (183.4 in)[24] Width 1,814 mm (71.4 in)[24] Height 1,461 mm (57.5 in) (hatchback)[24]

1,465 mm (57.7 in) (estate)[25]

Gross Vehicle Weight, 1,907kg

Most the owners of the 4.0's are in the 20mpg......

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/falcon

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/octavia/2016?engineconfig_id=478&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Unless you talking LPG here (being economic with your information) or perhaps inaccurate information of one ?

,Because on the collective information available, your assumptions seem to be rose tinted - despite being heavier, its definitely a more modern, economical vehicle

Also for a 4.0 going back to that time seems it is around the BHP of the current Octy diesel rather than petrol?

Hard to find hard info on this with it being such an old motor but suggest even at 4.0 it was only putting out 172kw as standard.

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/5/FOR0079.pdf

So whilst getting 2/3rd the mpg of the "all round" economy of the vRS 2.0 petrol you were also probably getting 2/3 the performance too ! Progress eh ?

If you do have anything to add to this though please back this up with cold hard facts rather than forum speculation - thank you. Nothing worse grates me that rose tinted "back in my day" etc etc, you aren't doing modern engine improvements the true recognition it deserves.

Edited by vRSAnt

I'd be looking at long term planning on this and don't be an ostrich in regard to this - you could be seeing the ( edit: Used Value) of diesel cars plummet ( whilst price has been recommended to be increased) if gov actually reverse Browns diesel tax discount which seems very likely (and could be double or trebly hit, annual vehicle license plus at the pumps, and then value of your car to boot !).

Thats what my father suggest and he is at local gov't level where they have been discussing how to deal with these kind of direct issues with pollution in towns and cities including people removing diesel pollutino management systems.

Don't say I didn't warn you ! The future is coming, and diesel is in the crosshairs I'm afraid.

I think you should be educated before rushing into potentially costly long term decisions.

Lets fact it for many cars as 2nd most expensive thing they own next to their houses!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/11/call-for-pollution-tax-on-sales-of-new-diesel-cars-in-britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/transport-secretary-diesel-taxes-could-be-hiked-to-cut-air-pollu/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/07/price-of-diesel-fuel-could-rise-government-considers-reversing-tax-cuts

Next year things could look ugly, and I doubt Brexit will have any impact on this either (despite why my blissfully ignorant opposite neighbour believes) as its the UK calling for this, not just Brussels.

Six cities, including Southampton where I live, are very likely to introduce at least charging and possibly a ban on diesel vehicles in the city centres:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/11862419/Diesel-car-drivers-face-new-restrictions-in-cities.html

Nice. No trouble getting 40+MPG in the 230. Low revs= good fuel economy. Fun factor is down though.

Focus has a great engine. ????

I'm not sure how the logic works, but basically if he claims a certain mileage on his new car, it's OK, but if anyone else apart from him claims any sort of consumption figures he copied and pasted this funny little 'fanboy' phrase that I think he learnt from the internet. That's how it works, I think. I may be wrong though. He likes what he says. And anyone else may have an opinion, but theyre wrong. Is that about the size of it?

Edited by Mallettsmallett
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input dude but I'm not exactly sleeping in the car and struggling to make ends meet. I bought the Diesel simply because I prefer the diesels effortless torque and reliability. If you asked me four years ago if I'd ever own a diesel I'd have told you to "p"ss off" so in short I didn't buy a diesel to penny pinch. Hell im only getting 37mpg out of it ;) and 22 mpg out of our A1 DSG 185 BHP ;) soon to be part exed for an S3 sportback once it arrives. if I can save a few pennies cool. If I can't then tough lol.

And anyone who believe the press are fools. What will be will be.

Edited by Lew0-VRS

What ? Like this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/08/budget-2015-osborne-unveils-green-car-tax-overhaul-to-fund-roadbuilding

Or do you prefer to read this one hence press meets fact:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty

So your £30 tax will be £140 next year and hence same as mine. Fact.

It's not foolish to keep ones ear to ground. In fact the reverse is true, its very foolish not to keep an eye on trends and act on them when necessary.

Don't take it personally its not something aimed directly at you, but the fact is diesel are going from being the elephant in the room to become the #1 top issue after smoking. Remember smoking anyone ?

What ? Like this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/08/budget-2015-osborne-unveils-green-car-tax-overhaul-to-fund-roadbuilding

Or do you prefer to read this one hence press meets fact:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty

So your £30 tax will be £140 next year and hence same as mine. Fact.

It's not foolish to keep ones ear to ground. In fact the reverse is true, its very foolish not to keep an eye on trends and act on them when necessary.

Don't take it personally its not something aimed directly at you, but the fact is diesel are going from being the elephant in the room to become the #1 top issue after smoking. Remember smoking anyone ?

Diesels may well do lol do I care NOPE not one single ounce. More important things to worry about.

And if this was the case trains buses taxis all what the government have pushed will come under the same laws. It won't happen man simple as that.

And the government site you linked to may well effect cars from 2017. Have you a girlfriend ?

Edited by Lew0-VRS