Serious Q - What to do with Motorway Queue Jumpers?

2SkodaFamily

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is the correct thing to do when someone jumps the queue on a lane closure?

• Just let them in - it's not worth the risk
    • Refuse to yield - even if it means forcing them into the cones

So.. the poll says, for the given OP circumstances - let them in.

the thread posts say

let them in

or....

every set of merging lanes should have a sniper shooting those who carry on up the lane thats going to close.

My view is simple (if a bit on the fence)

Use both lanes, merge safely in a gap thats presented and carry on having matched speeds and be polite about it etc.

those who should be dealt with are the divs who go roasting up to the end point then try to shove their way in carrying speed or whatever, not giving a damn about anyone else. They should be led through the cones into the closed area, removed from vehicle and made sit there(idely in the rain) and watch all the traffic pass by for a set period of time (5mins?) Before being let back into the flow of traffic...

• Like 1

Come tea time the right lane for the roundabout going towars Southampton (Station Hill) is always empty so I just use that lane, go round the roundabout once then on to Bishopstoke Road (The left lane approaching the roundabout). :)

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG

About 30 seconds from my house. I go up the right hand lane, round the roundabout and then exit left onto Twyford Road

• 1 month later...

This just appeared on my FB so thought I'd share it http://now.howstuffworks.com/2016/11/07/traffic-lane-zipper-merge

I've recently been doing a fair bit of work in Salisbury and the main road (A36) is a dual carriageway the becomes a single carriageway. Every morning there's a long (500M +) queue in lane one and nothing in lane two. I've started using lane two until the last minute which really pi55es people off :D So much so that people in lane one try and position their cars so close to my van you can barely fit a fag paper in the gap lol.

Saved this link on my phone in case anyone gets lary http://www.infsq.co.uk/2011/02/merge-in-turn/

A36

post-73816-0-73013900-1479751430_thumb.png

This just appeared on my FB so thought I'd share it http://now.howstuffworks.com/2016/11/07/traffic-lane-zipper-merge

I've recently been doing a fair bit of work in Salisbury and the main road (A36) is a dual carriageway the becomes a single carriageway. Every morning there's a long (500M +) queue in lane one and nothing in lane two. I've started using lane two until the last minute which really pi55es people off :D So much so that people in lane one try and position their cars so close to my van you can barely fit a fag paper in the gap lol.

Saved this link on my phone in case anyone gets lary http://www.infsq.co.uk/2011/02/merge-in-turn/

A36

A36.PNG

Drivers should use both lanes to Queue and then merge in turn. Some two lanes to one are sometimes sign 'use both lanes', so carry on using lane 2.
  • Like 1

A36

A36.PNG

So your doing right :thumbup:

Id have an issue with ya if youre barrelling down lane 2 flat out, then slamming on anchors while bouncing across the chevrons beyond the end of lane 2 and shoving your way in between cars..

• Like 1

So your doing right :thumbup:

Id have an issue with ya if youre barrelling down lane 2 flat out, then slamming on anchors while bouncing across the chevrons beyond the end of lane 2 and shoving your way in between cars..

I only do that if I've switched on my 'park where **** I want' lights :D

I work on the motorways, running roadworks (I know, boo hiss), I see this situation every day.

Using all of the available lanes and merging in turn is correct, it is how the traffic management is designed to work. The delays are caused when people refuse to let traffic merge, this forces the merging car to stop, when they are finally let in the other lane is also forced to stop causing a ripple through the traffic and ultimately a jam.

• Like 3

Personally, I'll use the empty lane. I won't drive right up to the cones and expect to be let in, I'll drive up to around the 400 yard marker, slow down and if the traffic in the other lane is moving in a stop start fashion I'll pop the indicator on, look for a gap appearing and slot in. If the traffic is stationary I'll probably end up stopping and waiting for someone to let me in. I never drive down to the cones because the closer you get to them, the more bullish people get about letting you in. 400 yards seems to be a decent compromise point between making good progress past the traffic, and people still being fairly courteous, in my experience anyway.

• Like 1

No confrontations this time, but I was in lane 4 of the M1 northbound last night. An overturned vehicle on the grass had led to two lanes being closed (but not coned) well in advance. By "closed" I mean the overhead signs had red Xs over lanes 1 and 2. Didn't stop several people using them and then "merging in turn". An Audi in front of me even went from Lane 4 into Lane 2 to zoom down the inside.

No confrontations this time, but I was in lane 4 of the M1 northbound last night. An overturned vehicle on the grass had led to two lanes being closed (but not coned) well in advance. By "closed" I mean the overhead signs had red Xs over lanes 1 and 2. Didn't stop several people using them and then "merging in turn". An Audi in front of me even went from Lane 4 into Lane 2 to zoom down the inside.

Passing under a lane with a red X on the gantry above is an £80 fine (not sure if points as well).

Its monitored by the cameras above, or the new cameras mounted on the side with the ones on a pole before the gantry.

HTH

• Like 2