Should i change tyre size?

Im gonna get some winter tyres as my vrs estate is on some budgets (prev to ownership) and it slides everywhere in the rain. Its on 18 Zenith with 225 40 18 tyres. Is there a preferred tyre size for better handling in winter conditions? Cheers.

I've got a set of used 18" 225/40 18 winter tyres. Hankook icebear w300 x 3 and 1 x Icept w320 (equiv replacement for a damaged tyre). PM me if that is of interest.  Otherwise as stated a lot of people use lower diameter say 16 or 17" with steel wheels. May have to notify insurer with lower rim sizes and not sure if the lower rim size counts as a mod or not.  Would want to check.

Ps I wouldn't except a huge improvement with winter tyres until the temp drops below 10C. I mean decent winter tyres may be better at water dispersal, than your budgets but then probably so might a mid to premium summer tyre! 

Edited by TheClient

For the winter I replace my summer 225/40 tyres on 18" wheels with 225/45 winter tyres on 17" wheels.  I actually prefer driving the car in the winter tyres - quieter and a better ride.  Another option, as suggested in an earlier post, is 205/55 on 16" wheels.  All three sizes are very close to the same overall diameter and so gearing, and hence speedo readings, are unaffected.

The winter tyres give a much more secure grip on wet roads at low temperatures.  In two winters (Gloucestershire) I have never needed to drive on snow or ice.

I got a set of 16" steel wheels from a VW Transporter T4. Fit perfectly on the VRS and have Continental 205x55x16 winter tyres fitted.

Amazing difference in grip in winter weather. Normally have them on Nov - April/May.

I've got vredstein ultrac vorti on my 18's and they are phenomenal in the dry but I had a Wee slide on the way home from work on Friday so I'll be changing to rainsport 3's next week.

Don't think I'll go as far as winter tyres though.

i bought a set of 16 inch alloys with winter tyres off a golf as last year i found out my vrs estate is the worst car i have owned for winter /snow driving also so much lighter

I got a set of 16" steel wheels from a VW Transporter T4. Fit perfectly on the VRS and have Continental 205x55x16 winter tyres fitted.

Amazing difference in grip in winter weather. Normally have them on Nov - April/May.

Mine came as a package from Mytyres. black steel wheels 16". Currently on second set of winter tyres Michelin allseason (can't remember their real names, but can be run all year). My black Scout looks quite cool filthy dirty and no wheel trims.

You need to tell your insurance company that you have changed to winters anyway, and again when they come off, regardless or not of whether you change size

There was an combined official statement from quite a lot of the insurance companies stating that wasn't necessary Mike. It's on Briskoda somewhere!

For the winter I replace my summer 225/40 tyres on 18" wheels with 225/45 winter tyres on 17" wheels.  I actually prefer driving the car in the winter tyres - quieter and a better ride.  Another option, as suggested in an earlier post, is 205/55 on 16" wheels.  All three sizes are very close to the same overall diameter and so gearing, and hence speedo readings, are unaffected.

That's not quite right.

The 205/55r16 are a fair bit smaller even though they are the OEM size.  On 225/40r18 & 225/45r17 the speedometer is about 4-5kph out at 100kph which is OK.  On 205/55r16 the speedo is 10kph out at 100kph which turns you into a mobile road hazard if you tend to stick to the speed limit.

You could consider something like Michelin Cross Climate.

Allegedly benefits of both winter and summer tyres. I'll be due two fronts before winter and I think I might give them a go.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/michelin-cross-climate-vs-winter-and-all-season-tyres

Edited by Aspman

That's not quite right.

The 205/55r16 are a fair bit smaller even though they are the OEM size.  On 225/40r18 & 225/45r17 the speedometer is about 4-5kph out at 100kph which is OK.  On 205/55r16 the speedo is 10kph out at 100kph which turns you into a mobile road hazard if you tend to stick to the speed limit.

225/40-18 is 804 revs/mile

225/45-17 is 808 revs/mile   0.5% difference

205/55-16 is 811 revs/mile is 0.8% difference

I think you need to check your calculations or source.

You could consider something like Michelin Cross Climate.

Allegedly benefits of both winter and summer tyres. I'll be due two fronts before winter and I think I might give them a go.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/michelin-cross-climate-vs-winter-and-all-season-tyres

Michelin Cross Climate tyres should be fitted to all 4 wheels not just at one 'end'.

Michelin Cross Climate tyres should be fitted to all 4 wheels not just at one 'end'.

Hmm I'll stick 'em down the passenger side and only turn left.

Hmm I'll stick 'em down the passenger side and only turn left.

You could do a 'James Bond' and tip the car onto the nearside tyres; or off-side tyres, if you prefer.

• Like 1

225/40-18 is 804 revs/mile

225/45-17 is 808 revs/mile   0.5% difference

205/55-16 is 811 revs/mile is 0.8% difference

I think you need to check your calculations or source.

Source is my own car checked against several quality GPS units.

I've now run 

205/55r16

225/55r16

225/50r17

225/45r17

225/40r18

I'd back my figures obtained in the field over yours obtained using a calculator.

Source is my own car checked against several quality GPS units.

I've now run 

205/55r16

225/55r16

225/50r17

225/45r17

225/40r18

I'd back my figures obtained in the field over yours obtained using a calculator.

Didn't use a calculator - figures came from Michelin; but I have just used a calculator and agree with Michelin's figures.  However, section width (and hence circumference) can vary between manufacturers.  I seem to remember that  tyres quoted as being nominally 225 section width actually varied between 220 and 230.

Or both alternately in the same alley (watch "Diamonds are Forever" closely).

That is a well-known error in a movie -  enters the narrow part of the alley on wheels on one side of car and exits on wheels on other side of car.  Must admit that I never noticed the error the first time I saw the movie.

• Like 1

I think there is also a setting in Maxidot for winter tyres if they are a different circumference. Not sure what it does though.

That's just a speed warning.

If you fit winter tyres with a lower speed rating, you should have either a written warning stuck to the dash or an electronic one :)

You beat me to it.  Nothing at all to do with circumference,  just a bong to warn you if you are exceeding a speed which you manually set,  exactly like the normal speed warning bong which is also available. 

Mike 

Ah, ok. I just remember seeing something about it in maxidot a while back.