DTUK tuning boxes and/or remap economy - the truth?

Jono

I've had 5 cars remapped over the years and have always logged my mpg. From the mpg charts in excel you cannot tell when the remapping occurred on 4 of the cars.

They're quicker and driven as such but the mpg didn't change one bit.

It was only on a Freelander TD4 which got better mpg post remap but that's due to it being underpowered to start with.

How many times in Adelaide do you have to remove ice from your windscreen?

In fact, do you know what ice is?

I think that might be part of the issue here; in the UK, we can be subject to sub-zero temperatures anytime between mid-October to mid-April.

That's six months of the year.

Has to affect fuel economy.

It may explain a differential between us and our antipodean friends but they still get winter the same as us.

It doesn't explain why you blindly bang the same drum, even when presented with facts gathered by others and you dismiss them without even analysing the data captured in some cases, and then later, you postulate about something, with no empirical evidence and expect others to take it as a 'fact' because it's your opinion.

That's why I called you a troll. It may be slightly off the mark but you do come across as a bit of a dismissive ignorant person. A troll is just a ****.

I think that might be part of the issue here; in the UK, we can be subject to sub-zero temperatures anytime between mid-October to mid-April.

Nope, never had to remove ice from my windscreen in Adelaide, but away from the coast you can get sub-zero temperatures and Skoda Australia does not supply a windscreen scraper with the car (annoying in those circumstances).

I'm a Pommie ex-pat and chose to cycle the 10 mile commute into the centre of London for 5 years, all seasons, all weathers (sun, rain hail and snow). So I'm very familiar with how severe or surprisingly mild the South East of England winters can be.

In our region of Australia we can be subject to temperatures in excess of 43 degrees Centigrade at anytime between November and March (that's five months).

Running the air-conditioner in heavy traffic in such temperatures can create havoc with fuel consumption.

Sigh!! I guess we all have our own particular crosses to bear.

Edited by Gerrycan

I regularly have to remove ice from the windows during winter (i live in the northern areas of Adelaide) due to heavy frosts. winter time gets cold enough that I had to have Antifreeze installed into my Solar hot water system to prevent the pipes from freezing up. and as Gerrycan said we get temperatures in excess of 43Deg C in summer for extended periods.

I have noticed that the winter economy is not as good as it is in nicer weather and there is no need for heating or cooling.

I did a 2,500 mile trek around Europe just after I bought my car (vrs TDI 2014) with a DTUK box fitted. Overall I averaged 60.4mpg. At the 1438 mile mark I was averaging 65 mpg. These were brim to brim measurements which were within 1/2mpg of the cars MPG display.

Shortly after I returned I had issues with the box which meant it being returned and driving without it for an extended period. My average MPG dropped to 43 mpg - commuting and just general leisure driving. Agreed the driving was more mixed than the mainly motorway driving during my trip but this was still a very big drop. After approx 2 months the box was refitted and mpg rose to an average of 54mpg.

I have tested with and without the box many times (as I have had many issues with the box and posted about them multiple times so I am no fan boy) and consistantly get a much higher MPG with the box fitted.

My best single journey - 73mpg. A return trip (104 miles) to Stansted Airport which I regularly do. The best I can achieve without the box is 54 mpg so quite a difference. Before someone suggests traffic is the issue these are trips at 12 - 1am and I've tested this multiple times.

If you are trying to save fuel then a much higher MPG is easily achievable with the box fitted - If you are trying to go faster then you will not see much of a difference.

I am currently trying to sell my box as my car keeps rejecting the box (flashing coil light) at random intervals and 2 years later I am nowhere near solving it so not a huge fan. The box is not faulty as I have been sent replacements. Looking at Audi forums random cars have the same issue but noone can work out why.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

I did a 2,500 mile trek around Europe just after I bought my car (vrs TDI 2014) with a DTUK box fitted. Overall I averaged 60.4mpg. At the 1438 mile mark I was averaging 65 mpg. These were brim to brim measurements which were within 1/2mpg of the cars MPG display.

Shortly after I returned I had issues with the box which meant it being returned and driving without it for an extended period. My average MPG dropped to 43 mpg - commuting and just general leisure driving. Agreed the driving was more mixed than the mainly motorway driving during my trip but this was still a very big drop. After approx 2 months the box was refitted and mpg rose to an average of 54mpg.

I have tested with and without the box many times (as I have had many issues with the box and posted about them multiple times so I am no fan boy) and consistantly get a much higher MPG with the box fitted.

My best single journey - 73mpg. A return trip (104 miles) to Stansted Airport which I regularly do. The best I can achieve without the box is 54 mpg so quite a difference. Before someone suggests traffic is the issue these are trips at 12 - 1am and I've tested this multiple times.

If you are trying to save fuel then a much higher MPG is easily achievable with the box fitted - If you are trying to go faster then you will not see much of a difference.

I am currently trying to sell my box as my car keeps rejecting the box (flashing coil light) at random intervals and 2 years later I am nowhere near solving it so not a huge fan. The box is not faulty as I have been sent replacements. Looking at Audi forums random cars have the same issue but noone can work out why.

To me this says that the engine MU is detecting the interceptor box at intervals somehow, and selecting limp mode "because something is interfering with its outputs".

Its strange - It can go a month or two without issue then suddenly it will happen once a week or every day.

My latest theory, bearing in mind I have tested hundreds over the last couple of years, is I have a wiring issue. When the light has come on the last couple of times I simply twist the cables with the original connector on and then try the ignition again and all is well. This could be purely coincidental but I have given up now trying to work out if that is it or not. All I know is removing the box and returning to standard the car is fine...just slower and less economical. Plus I give the car back in April/May so not long to go really.

Better MPG with the box but hang on based on estimated on trip computer or actual ? Sounds like looking at the computer. You can't do that, as someone already said its fooling car with values.

We need to be seeing real actual MPG for any feedback to be meaningful, I did X miles and put X amount of fuel in, time and time again, that is the only way to truly measure economy isn't it ?

I can say to you my average mpg trip can quite often say 41mpg with mine unmodified ( its true, its what it says) but thats not real MPG is it. I'm too lazy to do that properly as I already know its a bit of a gas guzzler so my petrol shop/card payments are a far indiciation this is a performance car, not a fuel sipper.

Seems to be a massive difference here, we have 1.4's based on fuel site recording averages of less mpg that the standard car.

2.0 TSI mapped confiming better MPG that the poor guys with 1.4s !! Really ? Doesn't smell right to me.

Amittedly James car is no sales pitch for the box, not suggesting he's being untruthful one bit, but rather being "fooled" by the trickery of the box suggesting estimated MPG is far better than it actually is perhaps with the box in place ?

Edited by vRSAnt

Some of the more extreme diesel maps do make them drive a bit more linearly though

( or at least in the sense of driving more through the rev range).

I've been in one mapped like that at Unit18 ( I was told the original Top Gear car apparently!) as passenger and it felt pretty quick and at least as a passenger felt a bit more like a "fast petrol" but I wasn't behind the loud pedal. I've not experienced a remapped vRS other than that one, certainly not on my own cars yet.

So it could depend on the map, whose done it, and what car it is aimed at and for what intention, according to varied reports on the benefits of remaps on diesels.

Back on thread and agreeing with your coment I think I'd be more inclined to believe ( with statistics to boot ) that diesel benefits from mpg from remaps better than petrols could possibly, I can't believe some magical extra avg 10mpg being plucked from thin air unless it was accompanied with some very creative driving techniques or a very creative estimated mpg display ( i.e wrong).

That's why I called you a troll. It may be slightly off the mark but you do come across as a bit of a dismissive ignorant person. A troll is just a ****.

You seem to be from what is known these days as "generation Snowflake".

An entire culture who've never had anyone stand upto them and say "no". 

An entire culture who've been wrapped in cotton wool from birth and don't understand the concept of a dissenting opinion to the one that they believe is gospel.

I questioned a guy claiming he was getting 50mpg out of a chipped 220bhp > 300bhp petrol engine.

Nothing more than that.

If you have a problem with that then grow a backbone.  Either way, I don't give a $h1t.

• Like 2

I don't follow this forum for this childish stuff - it doesn't belong here

+1

This modern trend of labelling anyone who dares to offer an opinion contrary to what the snowflakes believe is gospel is worrying.

Aren't forums about debate?  If they're going to offend the sensibilities of the snowflakes, let's just close them all down.

+1

This modern trend of labelling anyone who dares to offer an opinion contrary to what the snowflakes believe is gospel is worrying.

You are mistaking 'challenging' someone's claim with arbitrarily, and rather tiresomely wading around threads and calling people liars for something you feel is vaguely implausible in your limited experience. Anyway, I'll knock this on the head now.

Edited by Mallettsmallett
  • Like 2

You are mistaking 'challenging' someone's claim with arbitrarily, and rather tiresomely wading around threads and calling people liars for something you feel is vaguely implausible in your limited experience. Anyway, I'll knock this on the head now.

Eh?

I challenged the claim that you can get 50mpg in a chipped 220 bhp > 300 bhp petrol engine.

Please point me in the direction of where I called someone a liar.

You're probably better off bailing out here; everyone knows the claim is impossible (particularly over the mileage that the mpg was claimed).

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

Eh?

I challenged the claim that you can get 50mpg in a chipped 220 bhp > 300 bhp petrol engine.

Please point me in the direction of where I called someone a liar.

You're probably better off bailing out here; everyone knows the claim is impossible (particularly over the mileage that the mpg was claimed).

What is this 'chipped' engine you keep referring to on multiple threads? I've heard of remaps and tuning boxes.

As for calling someone a liar, maybe not in those words, but what about this:

Over 60k miles on one set of tyres is possible.

No, it isn't.  It ***really*** isn't.

I don't think there is any need for such an aggressive one man crusade against those who post something on this forum you may not happen to believe, be it tyre or mpg related. :no: 
  • Like 2

What is this 'chipped' engine you keep referring to on multiple threads? I've heard of remaps and tuning boxes.

As for calling someone a liar, maybe not in those words, but what about this:

I don't think there is any need for such an aggressive one man crusade against those who post something on this forum you may not happen to believe, be it tyre or mpg related. :no:

+1

• Like 1

Better MPG with the box but hang on based on estimated on trip computer or actual ? Sounds like looking at the computer.

Amittedly James car is no sales pitch for the box, not suggesting he's being untruthful one bit, but rather being "fooled" by the trickery of the box suggesting estimated MPG is far better than it actually is perhaps with the box in place ?

Actual figures as I stated - brim to brim measurements. I've also adjusted my MPG readout to account for the incorrect computer readings. Testing against actual readings they are within 1/2 mpg of actual. You'll find a post from 2014 on here whereby most found the computer reading was consistently 12% out so adjusted for this. Edited by JamesVRSmk3
  • Like 1