Turn Off Stop/Start Permanently

LittleBigMan

If you want to turn off Stop/Start Peranently Just take the cover off the battery there is a thin wire plugged into the rear terminal post just i Unplug it.

Hmmm!

Why am I very suspicious of a first posting that comes with no explanation, by someone who doesn't introduce themselves, and doesn't explain any other possible consequences of doing this?

• Like 1

I loathe my "stop start" but I keep it off until the engine is hot enough

and we get along much better now. The tip is very useful, thank you.

But the system is intelligent enough to do that for you !

It won't activate unless a number of parameters are met.

Hello I am not as you say "iffy" I collected my Yeti last Friday and could not get on with the stop/start because it doesn’t have hill assist. I looked everywhere to find out how to turn it off permanently but could not find an answer. So today I took it back to my dealer and the service guy showed me what to do. He told me that the stop/start checks the battery voltage before it stops the engine and that is what the wire does.

• Like 1

perhaps Techie1 could confirm the purpose of the wire.

the stop / start controller checks a lot more than just battery voltage, brake servo vacuum, battery temp, drivers door, the list goes on, there is a page in the manual that lists all the conditions for stop, start and auto restart

now the other question is, does this then log a fault if the sensor line is left floating ( unless there is a pull up or pull down resistor in the control module )

if verified it could make a number of people very happy on here

personally I miss stop start since changing to my i20

• Like 1

Hello I am not as you say "iffy" I collected my Yeti last Friday and could not get on with the stop/start because it doesn’t have hill assist. I looked everywhere to find out how to turn it off permanently but could not find an answer. So today I took it back to my dealer and the service guy showed me what to do. He told me that the stop/start checks the battery voltage before it stops the engine and that is what the wire does.

So you use the hand brake instead. I really can't see how turning off the Stop-Start makes any difference.

And on a car still under warranty I would be concerned about any other unseen affects it may have.

And I see no reason for the petulant response.

Edited by Llanigraham

If you want to turn off Stop/Start Peranently Just take the cover off the battery there is a thin wire plugged into the rear terminal post just i Unplug it.

A thin wire?

Mine has 2 in a moulded plug (red/purple and brown) and not just plugged onto the post but what looks like something that contains electronics.

If anybody has a wiring diagram could you look what they go to please.

I was going to suggest it may be a voltage sensing wire. 

Please stick around to let us know if there are any unforeseen effects.  Anything important should show up fairly rapidly.

I don't have Yeti current flow diagrams unfortunately, or I'd research it for you.

I wish I had never bothered to post now I shall not be posting again

I know it doesn't look like there's a friendly bunch on here but your first post did slightly register on the Richter Scale due to the content and nature! :thumbup:

And I see no reason for the petulant response.

TBF, I can considering the 'welcome' he's received!

I would personally think that 'other features' are liable to be involved when the wire is disconnected but let's see what some of the VAG wizards have to say on the matter.

I wish I had never bothered to post now I shall not be posting again

Welcome to briskoda and stick around,

you can understand people might be sceptical of a post like that as a first post when many have looked for a long time for a solution to turn off stop / start

techie1 is a good guy lots of knowledge, so have many others on here who should be able to verify the solution you have been told about by the mechanic at your dealer

we just want to be careful before people disconnect wires which may have unintended / unforeseen consequences

reading your information it basically tells the controller the battery is not charged enough for stop start operation, if that is all the wire is used for that is a good find

it could also be useful to know if someone has stop / start stop working as it would be one point to check a good connection

• Like 2

Welcome to briskoda and stick around,

you can understand people might be sceptical of a post like that as a first post when many have looked for a long time for a solution to turn off stop / start

techie1 is a good guy lots of knowledge, so have many others on here who should be able to verify the solution you have been told about by the mechanic at your dealer

we just want to be careful before people disconnect wires which may have unintended / unforeseen consequences

reading your information it basically tells the controller the battery is not charged enough for stop start operation, if that is all the wire is used for that is a good find

it could also be useful to know if someone has stop / start stop working as it would be one point to check a good connection

Many thanks for taking the time to explain. If I do ever post again I shall try and explain more.

Thanks again

(Iffy  petulant ) Steve

• Like 1

Many thanks for taking the time to explain. If I do ever post again I shall try and explain more.

Thanks again

(Iffy  petulant ) Steve

please do post again,

we are a friendly bunch really and can save you lots of time if you are trying to figure stuff out

just please use the forum search first as most things have known solutions and it will save you time waiting for an answer,

but as with your possible solution above some we are still looking for

Sorry you took the hump at my comments but it did look a bit "strange" for a first posting.

I am still concerned that with a modern complicated electronic car, just disconnecting one wire from a system that takes a lot more information than just that wire could be causing unseen difficulties now and in the future.

And like others, I seem to have more than one wire on mine.

I still cannot see the link between stop-start and not having hill assist. What spec is your car?

I wonder if that wire is what is used for the battery management system to measure the battery voltage. If it is I would be very worried as without the car knowing the battery voltage it cannot properly manage the charging and discharging of the battery and with the complex nature of looking after an AGM battery it could quickly lead to its demise.

I could be wrong though. I would definitely want to do a VCDS scan after disconnecting it, if it does other things beside the start/stop function it will surely throw a load of codes

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

I'd prefer it defaulted to off thus leaving me with the decision.

In my manual 2008, it will occasionally baulk at restarting which I'm wondering may have something to do with my propensity to coast rather than drive 'normally'..........that's why I consider it potentially dangerous.

• Like 1

Must admit that in the 6 months of the new Yeti I have never had a problem with mine, in any way.

Not sure if there was a connection, but I had a feeling that when the Off Road system was "on" it seemed to disable the stop-start. (Mind you I had had the Rally Radio on for a couple of hours so the voltage might have been down a bit)

I've only had Stop/Start a few weeks and after an initial frustration with it have found it no inconvenience to leave on for most of the time.  If I get into a situation where I figure it's going to be a pain it's so easy to reach over and press the button.  I treat this just like I would changing a radio station and really don't see why it's such an issue for some folks. My car does have hill hold and is automatic so that might influence me.  Treat it like the navigation system, it's an aid, useful for the most part but not to be a replacement for ones own instincts and brain.

@LittleBigMan, do keep posting this is a great community but has experienced issues with rouge posters in the past.  

But the system is intelligent enough to do that for you !

It won't activate unless a number of parameters are met.

If you look at my previous posts on the subject you will see that it resulted

in a number of embarassing stalls. The engine needs to be hot, after that

it works fine. A case of intelligence but no common sense in the system.

Edited by gumdrop

The stop start in our automatic works fine but the manual is apparently influenced by driving behaviour which is not as straightforward.

I drive a manual and it works just like the manual describes. Which is not ideal, though, like I said in an older post the speed limit after which it turn offs the engine again is too low, like 5km/h. Even in a stop&go traffic I go over this limit. The limit should be higher and among the other parameters it should also be the distance traveled, to avoid turning on and off the engine every couple of meters.   

Otherwise I'm quite happy with it. As a cyclist at a red light, I also prefer waiting behind a car with S&S rather than one without.