Car Going In Again - Coolant

Car going back in again tomorrow to see if they can find a coolant leak I appreciate that it is a slow leak but it is the 3rd time the dealer has had the car. This time the level has gone from Max to Min in 1500 miles, getting a bit tedious now, it is getting to the point where I wished I'd stay with Japanese.

Check out this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405019-crazy-coolant-loss-on-16-tdi-15/page-3?hl=%2Bcrazy+%2Bcoolant#entry4716947

It was from a 1.6 TDI but it was also a slow & difficult to find leak.

The things that were tested & final solution are nearer the end of the thread.

I don't know if the OP has had the same repair yet to confirm a common theme.

Glad I didn't get the diesel now......although I've had "coolant issues" on the TSi too.

To be honest coolant and oil should be the basics in any car, worrying that VAG are failing at that.

• Like 1

Read all the topics, mine is a petrol, spoken to the head technician car to be pressure tested again once cooled down with it being kept under pressure for at least 24hrs. Car will then be taken on a few long runs, they are also talking with Skoda Technical department so just need to wait and see.

I need to take mine in again before the warranty is up ( next June) as it's still losing coolant very VERY slowly.  Dropped 3/4 of the way to min from max in about 6k miles since last tested. Before that it dropped max to min about 2.5 times in 7.5 k.   It's not surprising the leak wasnt found and if it wasn't for the worry that something may let go outside warranty I'd have no issue with occasional coolant top ups.

2014 tsi vrs here too.

I'm starting to think it's only extended motorway runs when the coolant drops, but not sure.

Hoping my recent discovery isn't a sign of things to come - only just shy of 9,000 miles and wouldn't have expected it to be empty in that time period ==> http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402088-vrs-tdi-so-far/?p=4724264

Edited by ToffeeMRD

I have had two water-pumps replaced on my VRS TSI due to slow leaks. Both were repleaced within the first 3-months of ownership. The third has been fine for the past 2-years. Seems to be a common issue on 2014MY cars.

Interesting when I raised on a previous occasion that there appears to be an issue with water pumps the dealer said they had not seen or heard of the problem but were happy to change the turbo under warranty which was over £2k. Go figure......... I await their update!!!!!

I remember your issue Orville, and IIRC there was a bad batch of pumps, or pump seals back in 2014, or so the brisky members suspected.

Sturgi, its not what the dealer will do, its what SUK will authorise.  My experience is 'Owner raises issue of coolant loss' SUK/dealer response is to authorise a pressure test and visual check, if nothing shows up, top up and tell the owner to come back if it goes down again.  I was told to leave it unril it hit min again.  I was actually told to call skoda assist at that point and given the impression that the dealers would then get authorised to tear the engine down a bit, stuff like the turbo (there have been water leaks reported on here, symptom was heavy clouds of steam/white looking smoke on hard acceleration) or the waterpump is where i guess they will go first.

my own leak is clearly tiny.  but there clearly is a leak.

I remember your issue Orville, and IIRC there was a bad batch of pumps, or pump seals back in 2014, or so the brisky members suspected.

Sturgi, its not what the dealer will do, its what SUK will authorise. My experience is 'Owner raises issue of coolant loss' SUK/dealer response is to authorise a pressure test and visual check, if nothing shows up, top up and tell the owner to come back if it goes down again. I was told to leave it unril it hit min again. I was actually told to call skoda assist at that point and given the impression that the dealers would then get authorised to tear the engine down a bit, stuff like the turbo (there have been water leaks reported on here, symptom was heavy clouds of steam/white looking smoke on hard acceleration) or the waterpump is where i guess they will go first.

my own leak is clearly tiny. but there clearly is a leak.

Hi Neiln

I was the one with the heavy clouds of mist under acceleration which on the estate most of it was on the rear screen with the turbo being replaced in March. When I went back in in May as coolant had dropped to min again the service manager showed me the report on my old turbo where Skoda felt the turbo was OK even though there was some calcium deposit in the turbo and the misting was a characteristic of the car after prolonged testing with a vRS around Milton Keynes!!!!!!

Car had only done around 2k miles since the top up in May when by end of September the coolant had dropped to min again. I did have a top up prior to these issues via Skoda Assist as I had a coolant warning light and the dealer was too busy to look at the car. In about 10k miles I have had 3 top ups and 1 turbo, there appears to be a fair few cars out there that are having issues with coolant but will they find a leak this time who knows but there is no explanation from Skoda as to what the problem could be, if nothing found again and coolant drops will have to consider keeping the car as leaks only get worse not better. Might go via Skoda Assist if it drops again and get them to recover to dealer and sort a hire car.

Edited by sturgi

We are in a similar situation then, dropping to min 3 times over 10k, or approaching 4 times in 14+k for me, is a slow leak.  I'll be going back to the dealer soon probably and hope they will fix it but if not I'm wondering if SUK will concede there is a leak, and since reported but not fixed, would the warranty and Skoda assist be extended for coolant issues. Hopefully it won't come to that though.

As I said, when I first had mine checked the dealer told me to use Skoda assist if it dropped again.  Tbh that still feels daft and before I do that, but once it hits min, I'll call the dealer's and speak to them.  In the mean time I check the level regularly.  I have got the impression it doesn't drop steadily as it seems to hold steady for months and miles, then drops a bit after a couple of hundred motorway miles.  It's such a slow drop it's hard to be sure though.

Hi All, Neiln

Just had a call from the dealer the leak has been found with the assistance of Skoda tech, coolant is weeping around the Thermostat housing which tucked up behind the inlet manifold. There have been other cars with this issue and they told me it was hard to spot as they need to use an endoscope to see the staining. Parts are on order which are due in tomorrow but as the inlet manifold has to be removed to fit it's not a quick job so won't see car till Friday after final tests and checks.

Neiln, might be worth asking your dealer to check this when you take it in, if there is a warranty or job number on my paperwork I will be happy to share so you can quote.

Hopefully this will sort the issue.

Edited by sturgi
  • Like 2

Hi All, Neiln

Just had a call from the dealer the leak has been found with the assistance of Skoda tech, coolant is weeping around the Thermostat housing which tucked up behind the inlet manifold. There have been other cars with this issue and they told me it was hard to spot as they need to use an endoscope to see the staining. Parts are on order which are due in tomorrow but as the inlet manifold has to be removed to fit it's not a quick job so won't see car till Friday after final tests and checks.

Neiln, might be worth asking your dealer to check this when you take it in, if there is a warranty or job number on my paperwork I will be happy to share so you can quote.

It's quite worrying that a skoda garage has to have the help of skoda tech support to tell them to check the thermostat housing isn't it? Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the case here.

Basic checks like this (and the use of a borascope) should be carried out by any competent person.

Out of interest; do you still gat the vapour from the exhaust you mention?

Hi All, Neiln

Excellent news. Fingers crossed but it does and like they've found the leak.

Thanks for the tip too, I'll pass that on when I take mine in, cheers!

It's quite worrying that a skoda garage has to have the help of skoda tech support to tell them to check the thermostat housing isn't it? Out of sight, out of mind seems to be the case here.

Basic checks like this (and the use of a borascope) should be carried out by any competent person.

Out of interest; do you still gat the vapour from the exhaust you mention?

Hi Wakey

I still do on occasions although in France I did not notice as often but that could be due to it being hot for the 2 weeks we were there but it does appear to be a "characteristic" of the car, although this is the only car I have owned that has done this after it is warmed up.......

Edited by sturgi
  • Like 1

Hi Wakey

I still do on occasions although in France I did not notice as often but that could be due to it being hot for the 2 weeks we were there but it does appear to be a "characteristic" of the car, although this is the only car I have owned that has done this after it is warmed up.......

I noticed it the other morning when it was cold outside.

Car back yesterday afternoon, just checked the coolant level now the car is cold and the coolant is just over the Max line. Now to keep an eye on it to make sure it is finally fixed.

Id run it for a few weeks and let it find it's happy level then start watching as it might use a bit if its a little over filled

My 65 plate vRS (diesel) just had the warning coolant light come on on drive to work. Popped the bonnet and its empty. Currently waiting for skoda assist. I remember checking it about six moths ago before a long drive to Scotland and i noticed it was low then, but somewhere in the middle. I wish I'd kept an eye on it now! 

• 4 weeks later...

Is it normal to experience a drop in coolant level? I had the car for about 4 months, with 5000miles. coolant dropped to MIN line. I topped it with water till Max. Checked a week later and it's half way to MIN. Is it normal?

mine is on the minimum mark when cold. filled it up a couple of times between the min-max mark but it drops back to minimum after a day but it never drops under the minimum mark..

when car is warm it is in the middle betwen the min-max mark.