Alloy wheels for winter tyres 230 VRS

Hello

I want to fit some winter boots on my VRS 230 and was informed the mark 2 Skoda Neptune alloys

In 18 inch will not be compatible?They have the correct PCD offset (51mm) ?

Is this just a stock answer and has somebody fitted these for winter wheels to a mark 3 VRS Octavia.

Thank you in advance.

Hello

I want to fit some winter boots on my VRS 230 and was informed the mark 2 Skoda Neptune alloys

In 18 inch will not be compatible?They have the correct PCD offset (51mm) ?

Is this just a stock answer and has somebody fitted these for winter wheels to a mark 3 VRS Octavia.

Thank you in advance.

You need to take into account the massive size of the front callipers, which might explain why they won't fit - not only the PCD or wheel size matter. Might be the alloys are not curved enough on the inside face and they will touch the calliper.

As above, however you *might* just get away with it - some of the mk2 guys retro fitted the bigger 340mm front brakes and had clearance issues with the silly curve on the inside of the neptune wheel. At least one did solve that however with the use of a grinder. I would not want to be grinding my calipers however!?

The 18" zenith wheel would be a better option. Or go aftermarket. Mine were brand new from mytyres for about the same money as people charge for used OEM wheels on ebay.

• Like 1

I use a set of geminis (18") ith Goodyear ultragrip 8s on - kerbed but it doesn't matter too much on winters.

The problem with winter wheels rather than just tyres is they're a right pain in the a55 storage wise. Far more than just tyres.

Changing the car in the next few weeks but don't know if I'll be bothering again.

I fitted some 17" Dezent TD wheels in graphite for the winter.

As above they are tight on clearance to the 340mm calipers but its fine with the low-profile balance weights.

Main reason I chose them was because they are an OEM Wheel on the Golf so already approved by the TUV for the Octavia & inspection authorities in Switzerland.

I use a set of geminis (18") ith Goodyear ultragrip 8s on - kerbed but it doesn't matter too much on winters.

The problem with winter wheels rather than just tyres is they're a right pain in the a55 storage wise. Far more than just tyres.

Changing the car in the next few weeks but don't know if I'll be bothering again.

I've gone this route too. Got the anthracite ones for my winters. Haven't managed to kerb them yet thankfully. Also thankfully storage isn't too much of a problem within my garage. Can't keep a car in it though!

I've gone this route too. Got the anthracite ones for my winters. Haven't managed to kerb them yet thankfully. Also thankfully storage isn't too much of a problem within my garage. Can't keep a car in it though!

The AA were kind enough to kerb every single wheel on the car when they recovered it due to water pump related over heating. After much shouting at Skoda (didn't want involved - despite it being Skoda assistance) and the AA they bought me 4 new alloys and let me keep the old ones which I use to winters.

i bought my borbet bs5 wheels for just under £300 the set on tyreleader or mytyres...one or the other.  with the pound plunging that would probably be almost £400 now, still not too bad compared to OEM wheels.

Agree with above.

OEM wheels are usually rebranded from another manufacturer with a different plastic centre cap & at least double the price.

The dealer provided wheels are usually even worse, very cheap rebranded wheels with a premium price.

However, the OEM route does save you the hassle of trying to choose the correct width, ET, J & tyre size etc

That is true, since the shape of the inside of the rim can vary so much you do take a risk with aftermarket rims, however in general any 18" rim under 8" wide and with an offset between ~35 and 65 will fit, but to be safe stick between about 42 and 60.  That's on a vrs, and some 17" will fit but not all.  That's why the aftermarket wheel thread is quite useful. It didn't just give you a chance to see the look of the rims on the car, many of the contributors have stated the rim and it's dimensions, so you know what rims fit and what might fit with more confidence.

• Like 1

Any recommendations as to a supplier of 18" Gemini's at the right price?

Just taken delivery of a 4x4 vRS estate & need winter booties for it & fancy the same wheels as supplied.

Any recommendations as to a supplier of 18" Gemini's at the right price?

Just taken delivery of a 4x4 vRS estate & need winter booties for it & fancy the same wheels as supplied.

I used the dealer as it wasn't me paying. Iirc it was £350 a wheel.

gullyg, if you're changing your car does that mean you'll have a set of Gemini's for sale? If so, I call first dibs!