Engine Bay (Under Bonnet ) Insulation.

My New 230 has no Insulation under the bonnet, If fitted would it increase engine Temp

I've noticed my oil temp is usually round 103  to  108 depending on how I'm driving. Water temp sits at 90 all the time 

Your thoughts please, I like a nice looking engine bay

Thanks

AG

I have it on my vRS 220 and it's caused no problems at all. Coolant temp needle has never moved, and oil temp is always around the same as yours. On the odd occasion if it has had a good pasting it might have risen to around 112 but I haven't seen it higher that I can remember.

I can't see it increasing the temperature that much to be honest, plus the little cover over the engine block itself already has the insulation on it's underside. It will also help to protect your bonnet paint from heat damage from the engine :)

Edited by FluffyEyeball

Skoda only fit the under bonnet insulation on diesels - to make it easier to pass the Drive By noise regulations.

There is some sort of lining under the bonnet on my MY16 1.2 TSI.

As said above by Fluffy and M12MKD.

I fitted it to my vRS and the bonnet now shuts with more of a thunk than a clang. The engine is a little quieter but that might just be the placebo effect.

I fitted it to my vRS and the bonnet now shuts with more of a thunk than a clang. The engine is a little quieter but that might just be the placebo effect.

More likely it's that the bonnet itself resonates less, and at less audible frequencies.

There is some sort of lining under the bonnet on my MY16 1.2 TSI.

There was nothing on my 2015 1.4 TSI until I fitted the bonnet insulation pad and many previous threads here on this very subject all came to the conclusion that only diesels get it as standard. Any chance you could post a picture of what you have?

WHY TF would you want to insulate the engine ?

You brought a 230 surely your wanna hear engine revs and if it's temperature just change the oil if you exceed 130 and beware you get an EPC at 133 or I did anyway

Without it risks hot spots on the bonnet from the engine heat, this may damage the paintwork and be costly to rectify.

I can't see how it could be much quieter. My wife always knew when my MkII pulled up onto the drive due to the burbling exhaust. When I first bought it I thought it had a hole in it. It just sounded throaty. She never hears the MkIII.

I can't see how it could be much quieter. My wife always knew when my MkII pulled up onto the drive due to the burbling exhaust. When I first bought it I thought it had a hole in it. It just sounded throaty. She never hears the MkIII.

To be honest I've not noticed a difference. I just got it to tidy the "hood/bonnet" up
  • Like 1

Without it risks hot spots on the bonnet from the engine heat, this may damage the paintwork and be costly to rectify.

How many owners on here have reported damaged paintwork due to to lack of sound insulation under the bonnet? I've not seen one.

If there was an issue there'd be some sort of thermal insulation fitted as standard.

You're just inventing a problem to justify fitting the sound deadening pad......

• Like 3

... I just got it to tidy the "hood/bonnet" up

I forgot that too. It just looks better thn the bare metal. IMHO.

• Like 1

I fitted the insulation to a Mk 2 Octavia. I wouldn't bother again. It made no difference to noise insulation, no difference to the engine warm up time, no difference to how quick the heater warmed up in winter.

The only noticeable effect was my friends got bored with me inviting them round to look at my tidy bonnet...

How hot do you think you would have to get the paint on your bonnet for it to become damaged? Now how hot do you think your engine can get before it suffers serious damage, remembering that it is water cooled. There is also quite an air gap between the bonnet and the engine as well!

Back in the day I had alloy cam covers painted in normal car paint and these were fine for years!

The under bonnet insulation is there to keep bonnet resonance down and quieten engine noise that's all!

Edited by V6Jules
  • Like 3

I wasn't talking about immediate, catastrophic or certain damage to the paint. I was talking about the potential risk for the paint to become damaged over a long period (years) of use, with contantantly alternating and unequal temperatures across the bonnet.

The 'sound insulation' may also retain heat more effectively inside the engine bay, therefore may allow for increased warm-up times, particularly in cold weathers. This would have a positive effect on the efficiency of the engine, and also over a prolonged period of time (again, years) may have a benificial effect on reducing wear to various engine components.

Again, this is not a certainty, but for the tiny price of the piece of fabric it doesn't, in my opinion, need a lot a justifying.

How many owners on here have reported damaged paintwork due to to lack of sound insulation under the bonnet? I've not seen one.

If there was an issue there'd be some sort of thermal insulation fitted as standard.

You're just inventing a problem to justify fitting the sound deadening pad......

You hit the nail on the head totally. This is more of 'i want it because the diesels have it'

Hotspots causing paint to blister..get real. The car is not re-entering the earth's atmosphere. More chance the paint will be ruined by an expertly placed bird ****e rather than engine heat.

There was nothing on my 2015 1.4 TSI until I fitted the bonnet insulation pad and many previous threads here on this very subject all came to the conclusion that only diesels get it as standard. Any chance you could post a picture of what you have?

I had assumed it was supposed to be part of the improved noise insulation on later models.

post-130221-0-40264400-1476393908_thumb.jpgpost-130221-0-93980200-1476393932_thumb.jpg