Thinking of buying TV soundbase....

Brimma

As above

I'm contemplating buying a soundbase for the TV to sit on (Panasonic 42"), and wondering if anyone out there has one which they're really happy with

Please only comment if you've actually got one to recommend, no need for links to review pages etc

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Panasonic to link in with the TV and hard disk/DVD/VHS recorder we have, but I'm there are probably better items out there

Cheers

nb - I'm not wanting to pay Sonos levels :)

Edited by Brimma

When you say soundbase are you meaning soundbar? If so I have an LG via an optical lead and it's pretty good, certainly sounds a hell of a lot better than the standard tv speakers. Also has Bluetooth, usb and a wireless sub.

Brimstock!

I bought a BOSE solo 15 last year as I wanted something beefier for the TV sound as well as something that I could stream music to via Bluetooth. With limited space in my lounge the under TV option was the straight forward choice.

In short, it's really good.

Currently stood underneath a 50" Panasonic Viera and looks the understated part.

I also hooked it up to a Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth receiver using one of the connections on the rear of the Bose.

The TV is connected via 3.5mm jack, Humax via phono cables. DVD via optical connection. The Bose recognises which source the sound input is coming from and switches itself accordingly.

Worth noting that the newer models now have built in Bluetooth.

It was interesting to see the reaction of the staff in the Bose store when I wandered in asking to plug in a Bluetooth receiver to see if it worked......

They were convinced it wouldn't and were very interested once they'd seen it in action.

I sourced mine from the Bose shop at McArthur Glen outlet in Ashford. A manager special that had been out on a 30day free home trial and returned as it was too loud!! c.£300 I think.

• Like 1

When you say soundbase are you meaning soundbar? If so I have an LG via an optical lead and it's pretty good, certainly sounds a hell of a lot better than the standard tv speakers. Also has Bluetooth, usb and a wireless sub.

No, I meant soundbase, for the TV to sit on :)

Might be difficult balancing it on a soundbar ;)

Brimstock!

I bought a BOSE solo 15 last year as I wanted something beefier for the TV sound as well as something that I could stream music to via Bluetooth. With limited space in my lounge the under TV option was the straight forward choice.

In short, it's really good

Cheers, Barry, just the sort of info I was looking for :)

I've recently bought a Philips XS1 soundbase.

It has phenomenal reviews, and in short it is......phenomenal!!

At only 40mm high, it's very discreet but the sound is anything but. It has a separate sub which can be laid flat ot upright.

I've connected it to get the sound from the Youview box, and as a bonus it uses HDMI ARC, so all the controls are integrated with the existing remote. Similar to Panasonic Viera.

Wholeheartedly recommend.

I bought it from Richer Sounds as it's becoming discontinued, and was reduced from £400 to £269. I got another £20 off just for asking.

Just looked they still have a 'few' left :)

I've recently bought a Philips XS1 soundbase.

It has phenomenal reviews, and in short it is......phenomenal!!

At only 40mm high, it's very discreet but the sound is anything but. It has a separate sub which can be laid flat ot upright.

I've connected it to get the sound from the Youview box, and as a bonus it uses HDMI ARC, so all the controls are integrated with the existing remote. Similar to Panasonic Viera.

Wholeheartedly recommend.

I bought it from Richer Sounds as it's becoming discontinued, and was reduced from £400 to £269. I got another £20 off just for asking.

Just looked they still have a 'few' left :)

I presume the sub has to be separately powered? Not sure if I've got enough sockets spare

I presume the sub has to be separately powered? Not sure if I've got enough sockets spare

It is, but is Bluetooth connected, so can be placed anywhere in the room :)

You can also play music straight from your phone via Bluetooth connection

Might be best to get one that is the same brand as your TV then they will (probably) talk to each other and you won't need to use separate remotes.

I got an LG soundbar with sub to go with my new telly. Makes a phenomenal difference to the sound quality. Flat tellies just don't have the space for proper speakers.

I wouldn't say it's particularly stylish or anything but it is effective plus the sub is wireless (other than power) so that can be put in another part of the room. Doesn't seem to matter as much where the sub sits.

Might be best to get one that is the same brand as your TV then they will (probably) talk to each other and you won't need to use separate remotes.

I got an LG soundbar with sub to go with my new telly. Makes a phenomenal difference to the sound quality. Flat tellies just don't have the space for proper speakers.

I wouldn't say it's particularly stylish or anything but it is effective plus the sub is wireless (other than power) so that can be put in another part of the room. Doesn't seem to matter as much where the sub sits.

If possible get HDMI ARC, as this is the standard that allows 2 way comms between the soundbar / telly etc regardless of manufacturer :)

Obviously your telly also has to support ARC, most recent ones do.

Edited by 999pooch
  • Like 1

TVs have NEVER had decent speakers, even back in the days of huge CRTs, you would get a pair of tinny, shallow cones that would sound embarrassing in a £5 ghetto blaster.

I havent used the built in speakers since first hooking up a NICAM TV and video recorder to my hifi some time in the 1980s.

I've just recently bought a Canton Sound base to compliment my new Oled TV (DM55 from Richer Sounds), it looks stunning, and for a one box set up the sound is pretty impressive too. The brand matches my new Skoda too.

I've seen some very good reviews on the DM55, but also several which have had breakdowns and had to go back

I have a Cambridge soundbase, we bought from Richer Sounds.

GREAT sound quality, well constructed and designed and made in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Can thoroughly recommend it.

Edited by Macdemon
  • Like 1

After much research I bought a Canton DM100 soundbase to go with a new 65" Sony 3D TV. I am delighted with both and the Canton delivers impressive volume, bass and quality of sound for what it is. The 4 bass speakers are mounted underneath the soundbase and I returned 2 new Blu-ray players for juddering playback before I realised the at higher volumes the bass was causing the discs to vibrate! Moving the player to the bottom of the display unit and mounting it on an anti-vibration pad solved that.

The Canton has impressed all who have listened to it in my home including a BBC sound engineer who owns state of the art hi-fi equipment.

Edited by DGW
  • Like 1

I have a Cambridge soundbase, we bought from Richer Sounds.

GREAT sound quality, well constructed and designed and made in the UK!!!!!!!!!

Can thoroughly recommend it.

You sure??

When Richer Sounds bought Cambridge Audio, they kept the UK Research and Design centre, but farmed production out to the Far East; have they moved some/all of it back to the UK?

Disclosure:

When RS bought CA, they soon stopped support for all the legacy gear, so I couldnt get spares or spec sheets for the cross-overs in my CA R40 speakers, or a replacement bass speaker.

Luckily they used KEF parts, so KEF managed to get me most of what I needed, and the R40's are still going strong - 43 years after they were made.

You sure??

When Richer Sounds bought Cambridge Audio, they kept the UK Research and Design centre, but farmed production out to the Far East; have they moved some/all of it back to the UK?

Disclosure:

When RS bought CA, they soon stopped support for all the legacy gear, so I couldnt get spares or spec sheets for the cross-overs in my CA R40 speakers, or a replacement bass speaker.

Luckily they used KEF parts, so KEF managed to get me most of what I needed, and the R40's are still going strong - 43 years after they were made.

It was printed on the box, so if it's untrue and not made in the UK I want compensation as that was one of the reasons why we chose it.  :dull:

Edited by Macdemon

It was printed on the box, so if it's untrue and not made in the UK I want compensation as that was one of the reasons why we chose it.  :dull:

I feel a Cheryl Wheeler song coming on.

"Made Proudly in the USA", the box said, on the big display.

And so I guess it must be true, or else they couldn't say.

But oo, they're wily like the fox, cos they're just talking 'bout the box.

The contents come in from Taiwan, assembled in Peru.

I feel a Cheryl Wheeler song coming on.

"Made Proudly in the USA", the box said, on the big display.

And so I guess it must be true, or else they couldn't say.

But oo, they're wily like the fox, cos they're just talking 'bout the box.

The contents come in from Taiwan, assembled in Peru.

Never heard of Cheryl Wheeler, or that song.

Its a clear breach of trading regulations to turn round and say the label on the box stating 'made in the UK' only refers to the box, it MUST be CLEARY stated.

Never heard of Cheryl Wheeler, or that song.

Its a clear breach of trading regulations to turn round and say the label on the box stating 'made in the UK' only refers to the box, it MUST be CLEARY stated.

I am NOT saying that is what Richer Sounds has done, I was just remembering the song.

Cheryl is a Country singer, but she usually includes on humorous song on every album.

The quote is from "Home Depot"; there are also songs about airlines, mobile phones and car stereos.

Having said that, I have caught R.S. staff trying to pull a fast one to get a sale by claiming a rival shops LG 4K TV wasnt really 4K, but the model they stocked was.(For those who dont know, HD 720 and FHD 1080 refer to the number of lines of information in the display, while 4K is the approximate number of actual pixels displayed)

Ok, thank you.   :)

I'm more of a old Genesis fan................(Seconds Out, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound etc......)

I listen to everything, on my HDD you will find ZZTop sat next to Zulu Death Drums (recorded in 1908 on a wax cylinder recording machine).